PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New rule: Almost no legal way to touch QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
11970109172010023726.jpg

"And that's a hard sack! Look at how tight he clenched that flag!!! Brutal!!!"

o_O

“Even if a defender is coming off a block and wrapping his arms, he must avoid making forcible contact with his helmet, shoulder, forearm, or chest.”

I thought making forcible contact with the shoulder, forearm, and/or chest was pretty much the definition of a proper tackle. Do these people even watch football? That's literally impossible.

“Even if a defender is coming off a block and wrapping his arms, he must avoid making forcible contact with his helmet, shoulder, forearm, or chest.”

Do these people even watch football? That's literally impossible.

Can't you just ask the QB to pretty please raise his arms so you can hit him in the pelvis?

This seems way too subjective to enforce fairly across the board.

This seems way too subjective to enforce fairly across the board.

Exactly. Every week, fans will be complaining that their guy got flagged for making a "normal" tackle on the QB, while their QB was hit the same way or worse, without a penalty.

This happens now, but it sounds like it could be worse in the future.

So, at this point, you might as well deliver a helmet to helmet shot to the knee or helmet of the QB. I mean, why wouldn't you? You're going to get fined and penalized for it anyway. Might as well make the hit worthwhile.

I thought making forcible contact with the shoulder, forearm, and/or chest was pretty much the definition of a proper tackle. Do these people even watch football? That's literally impossible.

That quote is referring to low hits, not ones above the knee and below the head.

So thinking about this, does this mean QBs will throw deep more? This makes it harder to make a legal sack, doesn't it?

why not just put the ball at the goal line after a touchback. Teams not named the Seattle Seahawks will just run the ball in and we don't have to worry about quarterbacks getting hurt.

That quote is referring to low hits, not ones above the knee and below the head.

Could you please show where this is the case? You're the only one who thinks this that I can find..

Could you please show where this is the case? You're the only one who thinks this that I can find..

It's in the article:
Now these points of emphasis are mainly meant for low hits on the quarterback, not necessarily any and all contact.

giphy.gif

Doesn't this benefit Brady more than any other passer in the league right now? With these rules, playing until he's 45 doesn't sound so outrageous.

Last edited:
trey flowers understands the new rule:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back