PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New England can become Superbowl contenders again

Easywolf32

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Would anyone believe me if I said New England can become a superbowl contender again with 2 great OT's, one more great DT, 1 great LB and one great WR? Maybe an edge too.

No, I'm not crazy. Neither stupid.

Would anyone believe me if I said New England can become a superbowl contender again with 2 great OT's, one more great DT, 1 great LB and one great WR? Maybe an edge too.

You are not crazy or stupid. You were just dreaming.

This reminds me of when folks used to joke that the Rick Pitino era Celtics were just two players away from title contention: Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant.

Love the optimism and enthusiasm and I also agree they can become a SB contender again. In 2024 they'll have a high draft pick, a slew others and between $80m-$100m in cap space (assuming they don't extend anyone in the next few months) to use procuring elite talent on both sides of the ball.

However.....

When we say "contender" that means they need to be able to compete with the top teams in the AFC. Right now that is BUF, KC, MIA CIN (healthy Burrow) and you could argue JAX is in that mix. All of those teams have a franchise QB. We don't and won't contend without one.

Sorry...Mac isn't the guy and it's very much in doubt we have the right coach and GM to execute your vision.

Another crypto-Mac-defense thread.

Are we playing Madden? If so, that's easily doable.

I don't really think we need massive upgrades on defense. If we had all starters, we have the best secondary and a strong front 7. The issue is, the way the defense is built, it soars when the offense has built a lead by having the secondary be so good. Force teams to pass. Let the defense actually rest for a few set of downs instead of constantly having to go out after the offense crumbles.

The true positions are QB/WR. Maybe WR might unlock Mac's next level and we can get by with him.

This team is on the precipice of being a solid threat. Also injuries suck.

In retrospect, I think we all took a lot for granted around here for a long time. Looking at the schedule and going "12-14 wins"... planning on first round byes, ect.

They aren't making a run with the team as currently constituted. There are guys here who can help, but they are a long way away.

To quote the infamous John McKay: "Three or four plane crashes and we're in the playoffs"

We are currently sitting with the worst record in the AFC. We are not almost there. Things can change fast in the NFL but we just aren’t there yet. Going to take some time to get new players in and get a new culture going.

you're lucky if you get ONE of those FIVE type of players you mentioned in any one player acquisition period. This is going to be a long road back to contending for a title. I'll settle for an adequate tackle and a receiver who can create more than 1/10 of a step of separation.

Acquiring five “great” players to become contenders is the equivalent acquiring 5 million dollars to become rich. Much easier said than done.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back