PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Needs Analysis: Linebacker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had Appleby as one my prime picks in the 4th - 5th round. You couldn't see him as a 2-down thumper at the SILB? Why don't you like him?
As a late round prospect, he's worth a look - he's not off my draft board yet.

I only got to watch him in the Clemson game, he got good drops in coverage and actually looked comfortable doing it, but against the run he washed out a lot and did not appear very instinctive. With his size I hoped he'd be stronger against the run.

NFL Draft Scout has a preliminary list of players invited to the Combine, at this point he's not on it - which is an indication of how the scouts see him.

I gotta say, I disagree somewhat with your positions, but I LOVE your metaphors. I'll be appropriating the eggroll one for my own personal use.

We do look for value and plan ahead, rather than just fill a list like some teams. Still it's overrated, in my opinion. The only exceptions I can think of were Marquis Hill (and we definitely value depth at the line) and the failure to adequately stock the LB position.

Everybody else we draft high is to fill a job within a year, at least.

What we do is have backup plans to acquire players via FA to buy time when the draft doesn't fall the way we expect.

Oh and thanks, I like to practice my writing a bit on forums. Everything here is public domain.:D

Last edited:
LINEBACKERS
Apparenty, two young ILB's in not enough for some here. And two certainly isn't enough for some at OLB.

What do you guys think the appropriate for the eight linebacker positions. I understand that an additional linebacker might make it as a special teamer, but I am just talking about the position players.

I would think that the roster should include 4 OLB's and 3 ILB's, with at least one experienced veteran in each group. I also think that we should always have room for a developmental linebacker since the system takes a year to learn for anyone not name Mayo.

OLB (4)
Vrabel, Thomas
Woods, Crabel

ILB (3)
Mayo, Guyton
Bruschi (Bruschi could start the season and split reps with Guyton)

DEVELOPMENTAL LB (1) usually inactive
Redd/Robertson/Craig/draftee

There is certainly room on the roster for ONE linebacker. If he is good enough, he could move Crabel to the developmental list. There is room for a second if you want to cut Woods before the draft, by not tendering him.
==========================
I suspect some would cut Woods and draft an ILB and OLB or bring them in free agency. What say you all.

For me, at ILB I don't know how the team evaluates Guyton. If he is expected to be our future starter at ILB, we'd be looking for a backup ILB for the future to replace Bruschin 2010 and possibly compete with Guyton for reps. If Guyton's potential is more limited, then we should draft an ILB on Day One. For me, at OLB, I would keep Woods at least for the year and see what we have in Crable and how long we expect Vrabel to play. I would not be adding an OLB.

This is a good year to draft a LB, the draft is well stocked in the position and it presents an opportunity for the Pats. In the Pats 3-4 scheme the LB's need to be the playmakers and we certainly need some more of those at LB.

Gaffney isn't on a 'go' route - The Boston Globe

From football notes section, Reiss:
Position of strength
The deadline for juniors to declare for the NFL draft is Thursday, and it usually significantly alters the crop of players teams will be selecting from come April. Yet even without an influx of underclassmen, the feeling of one general manager is that this was already a good year to be looking for a linebacker. Southern Cal's Rey Maualuga and Ohio State's James Laurinaitis are two of the top seniors at a position that is considered deeper than in past years.

Last edited:
I bumped this topic because I don't want to open another.

What do you think of Freeman and McKenzie?

IMHO they have suitable sizes, but they are not prototypes of SILB. Do you think that they can be useful in our defense?

I bumped this topic because I don't want to open another.

What do you think of Freeman and McKenzie?

IMHO they have suitable sizes, but they are not prototypes of SILB. Do you think that they can be useful in our defense?
I could find a role for either prospect, but neither would be the top pick for that role.

Freeman is fast and quick, he's also a very alert and heady player. Where he fails the NE LB test I apply is his physicality in the box - he tries to use his quickness to run around blockers and would be a liability in the run game at LB. The role where I could envision him is the nickel S/LB hybrid.

McKenzie is a productive downhill run stuffer, there's a lot to like about him and I'd not kick if he were NE's choice. Where I rate him behind other late round options is his skill at taking on and discarding blockers, he's been in defenses where he was protected by his DL and taught to run around blockers.

I could find a role for either prospect, but neither would be the top pick for that role.

Freeman is fast and quick, he's also a very alert and heady player. Where he fails the NE LB test I apply is his physicality in the box - he tries to use his quickness to run around blockers and would be a liability in the run game at LB. The role where I could envision him is the nickel S/LB hybrid.

McKenzie is a productive downhill run stuffer, there's a lot to like about him and I'd not kick if he were NE's choice. Where I rate him behind other late round options is his skill at taking on and discarding blockers, he's been in defenses where he was protected by his DL and taught to run around blockers.

You confirmed my toughts on Freeman, he could be useful, but I would pick him only with a low pick.

Instead you intrigued me with McKenzie. :D I will look with more attention. :singing:

You confirmed my toughts on Freeman, he could be useful, but I would pick him only with a low pick.

Instead you intrigued me with McKenzie. :D I will look with more attention. :singing:
McKenzie is worthy of consideration from the third round on, but as I said, he'd not be my first choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes