PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Need help settling a football debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
The '72 team wouldn't stand a chance in a game today. Every single play they'd be called for pass interference, roughing the passer, hitting a defenseless receiver...

This actually brings up a good point......... The two eras aren't even remotely comparable as it relates to size, speed, targeted strength, etc....

Probably the only edge I would give to a 70's era team (any team, not just the 72 Dolphins), would probably be in area of mental toughness. By that, I simply mean that they had to play in what, by today's standards, is pretty primitive conditions.

Not that today's players aren't mentally tough, but those guys routinely got pounded with what would now be illegal hits and were expected (unless it physically broke a limb) to get back up and tough it out. Their equipment sucked, by today's standard........ And when it came to a frigid winter game....... no neoprene space suits or heated seats to keep them warm either. It must have really sucked to play in some of those conditions.

Beyond that though........... Ughh, it would be ugly.....

Then again, it might be fun to watch that dope Mercury Morris get mauled by some of these modern day defenses. :D

Last edited:
Any half-decent team in the NFL today would handily beat the '72 Dolphins. They'd be outclassed by 40 years of innovation in strategy, supplements, and training.

Last edited:
This actually brings up a good point......... The two eras aren't even remotely comparable as it relates to size, speed, targeted strength, etc....

Probably the only edge I would give to a 70's era team (any team, not just the 72 Dolphins), would probably be in area of mental toughness. By that, I simply mean that they had to play in what, by today's standards, is pretty primitive conditions.

Not that today's players aren't mentally tough, but those guys routinely got pounded with what would now be illegal hits and were expected (unless it physically broke a limb) to get back up and tough it out. Their equipment sucked, by today's standard........ And when it came to a frigid winter game....... no neoprene space suits or heated seats to keep them warm either. It must have really sucked to play in some of those conditions.

Then again, it might be fun to watch that dope Mercury Morris get mauled by some of these modern day defenses. :D
That's a good point, actually. They also made a lot less money back then and played mostly because they loved football. Would be interesting to fuse that mental toughness with a modern team today and see what comes out of it.

It's an unknowable, IMO. How would those guys look with years of modern training? How good would today's receivers handle getting their asses kicked by defenders all game long?

There are just too many questions.

Good point. I always think of the hits that Bradshaw took at qb and wonder how much better he would be playing today (not to mention rule changes on receivers). I always remember the hit he took (Oakland?) where he did a flip and was knocked unconscious. I believe he went back in and played.
Now the guys with the leather helmets and no masks, they were ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft