PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Myles Bryant

Maybe he should try this concept with WRs..... :)

Yeah. Know thyself. Pats are awesome at developing UDFA CB's (so many to list) and WRs (Meyers). And also suck so bad at 1st and 2nd round WR and CB picks. Just avoid WR/CR in the draft and turn UDFA's into starters there. Spend draft capital on DLine and OLine, FS (to replace Devin), and linebacker.

Making me proud
Screenshot_2021-12-07-20-40-06~2.png

Maybe he should try this concept with WRs..... :)
No, do the opposite with WRs. Draft more of them high. Across the league, only 33% of WRs in the first 2 rounds make it. The Patriots problem is that Harry is the only premium drafted choice we've taken in a decade. Draft more of them.

With DBs, Belichick drafts a million of them high. Ras-I Dowling, Jordan Richards, Duke Dawson, Cyrus Jones, JoeJuan Williams, Kyle Dugger.

So, one out of 6 worked out.

As for WRs, in the last 15 years, we've taken 2 in the first 2 rounds. Dobson and Harry. 0 for 2.
For DBs, we've taken 6 in the last 7 years.

No, do the opposite with WRs. Draft more of them high. Across the league, only 33% of WRs in the first 2 rounds make it. The Patriots problem is that Harry is the only premium drafted choice we've taken in a decade. Draft more of them.

With DBs, Belichick drafts a million of them high. Ras-I Dowling, Jordan Richards, Duke Dawson, Cyrus Jones, JoeJuan Williams, Kyle Dugger.

As for WRs, in the last 15 years, we've taken 2 in the first 2 rounds. Dobson and Harry. 0 for 2.

Avoid WR and CB altogether. Most other teams don't have a history of taking low picks or UDFA and making them good like Troy Brown, Edelman, Welker, Meyers. Same with CBs. Meanwhile they whiffed on Chad Jackson, NKeal Harry, Dobson.

Avoid WR and CB entirely with high picks until they blow up the crappy draft eval system for WR/CB installed by john carroll roommates.

Myles Bryant will be a good reserve player for the Pats going forward. He's played well for a 2nd year guy. Here are some metrics.

Targeted: 29 times
Completions allowed : 20
Total Yards: 233
TDs: 0
Passes Defensed: 2
Force fumble: 1
QB Hurries: 1
QB Pressure: 2

Played in 50% of the defensive snaps during the 9 games he's been active for.

Myles Bryant will be a good reserve player for the Pats going forward. He's played well for a 2nd year guy. Here are some metrics.

Targeted: 29 times
Completions allowed : 20
Total Yards: 233
TDs: 0
Passes Defensed: 2
Force fumble: 1
QB Pressure: 2

Played in 50% of the defensive snaps during the 9 games he's been active for.
Yeah I don't think he has played as well as some here think (maybe ok)...but I do think he has the potential to be good. Shaun Wade on the other hand has a higher ceiling...IMO.

Appreciate the thread topic. I was about to start a Myles Bryant thread of my own, but glad I saw yours before posting.

Do the really smart folks in the room think that this kid has an opportunity to be the next really good - to great undrafted FA CB the Pats have had in recent years? Appreciate your thoughts.

You asked for the smart folks, so let me know when they arrive.

Bryant was a really good prospect that just got overlooked. I'm sure his size had something to do with it. Also I don't think many understand the bubble teams and personnel are in draft weekend. It's a sprint and goes by quickly. I've long believed you can get caught up in it and not forget prospects but again it's easy to lose focus with shaping your board, keeping up who's taken, who's not, trades etc Every year I look at the udfa and just shake my head but there's so many prospects, so little spots available.

Idk about "great" but Myles can absolutely play in this league. I say that bc everything that rang true about him in college, all his strengths are shining next level. He was a little monster around the los, cutting off angles to the outside and played with no fear. Sometimes that worked against him. I remember Harry giving him the business on a few plays where Bryant was overmatched in terms of power but he's a pitbull with little fear. Plus instincts in coverage. He won't just play and stick to the assignment like a robot he'll peel off and make plays.

Agree with @jah in terms of overall play. Closer to Butler and Jones but let's not forget both of them are/were really good players. One of the best slot corners in the league in Jones and Butler was a legit top 15 CB for a short time.

Yeah like Jonathan Jones in 2016, Bryant was one of the better CBs - especially Slot CBs - still available that year who hadn't been drafted, so he wasn't a mystery as far as that goes... His going undrafted was absolutely the result of his physical limitations - not his football IQ, toughness or quickness - as shown at the combine: barely 5'8, short arms, and disappointing 40-yard & vertical jump #s...

There were some of us who wouldn't have minded seeing him make the Opening Day 53 as Jon Jones' CB3 backup, and indicated so in the Pats Picker thread... He didn't, but was signed to the PS as soon as he cleared waivers... He might never make a Pro-Bowl team mostly because of things out of his control, but he's gonna be given a 2nd contract to stay in the league, no doubt about it.

Williams is working out.. He's taking snaps at outside corner and holding his own... He's also playing some snaps on special teams

Targeted: 18 times
Completions allowed : 10 (55.6%)
Total Yards: 129
TDs: 1
Passes Defensed: 5
Force fumble: 0
QB Pressure: 0

Played 238 defensive snaps. 150 in pass coverage.

I was watching NFL Access last night and Willie McInnis said that in no way would a practice squad backup Safety break off his assignment to make a play like that on his own. He said Allen has made the same throw in that situation to the same side most of the time. He said remember the Butler interception that was practiced because it was a predictable play in that situation. He then said this was most likely practiced calling it situational football where BB excelerates and has his players ready

I've mentioned Myles Bryant a couple of times in the last few weeks. He is another in a long group of UDFA DB's the Pats have developed over the last decade. It's really been quiet remarkable. Bryan't lack of length will limit his ceiling, but he's more than filled in at both the S and slot CB position this season.

Looking at his combine times, only his 6.8 3-cone time stood out. His 4.6 forty time and his 5'8" size kept him from being drafted. But here's the thing. There's track speed and game speed, and sometimes they are 2 different things. Bryant has the instincts and fearlessness to maximize his physical assets and make him look faster than what we'd expect from his forty time. As long as he's put into positions that protect his weaknesses, he will excel here in this system. I'm not sure he'd do as well elsewhere. He's been a Godsend since Jones went out. Really glad to have him here.

I've mentioned Myles Bryant a couple of times in the last few weeks. He is another in a long group of UDFA DB's the Pats have developed over the last decade. It's really been quiet remarkable. Bryan't lack of length will limit his ceiling, but he's more than filled in at both the S and slot CB position this season.

Looking at his combine times, only his 6.8 3-cone time stood out. His 4.6 forty time and his 5'8" size kept him from being drafted. But here's the thing. There's track speed and game speed, and sometimes they are 2 different things. Bryant has the instincts and fearlessness to maximize his physical assets and make him look faster than what we'd expect from his forty time. As long as he's put into positions that protect his weaknesses, he will excel here in this system. I'm not sure he'd do as well elsewhere. He's been a Godsend since Jones went out. Really glad to have him here.
Agree and Reiss reported some in the organization view him as possible heir apparent to McCourty. Very instinctive player with good anticipation and solid tackler. One to watch going forward.

There's track speed and game speed, and sometimes they are 2 different things. Bryant has the instincts and fearlessness to maximize his physical assets and make him look faster than what we'd expect from his forty time.

Absolutely. One step in the wrong direction negates any speed from a freak athlete who can only do combine drills well.
Richard Sherman, Ronnie Lott, Ray Lewis (kag), Tedy Bruschi, probably a long list if I think about it didn't have flashy 40 times or other measurables.

If you're in the right place and have high awareness and instincts, that works in 90% of situations when it's not about covering kickoffs or chasing a WR for a deep bomb.

2022 Draft -- >

John Metchie​

Agree and Reiss reported some in the organization view him as possible heir apparent to McCourty. Very instinctive player with good anticipation and solid tackler. One to watch going forward.

I wouldn’t go that far… Sometimes SCBs have similar responsibilities to FSs; many times they don’t… It’s not as seamless a transition as some might believe… If you’re going to have a 5’8 - 185 lb starting FS then he needs to have Elite athletic traits as well as superior instincts & tackling ability, and Bryant just doesn’t have enough of them (elite athletic traits, that is)…

Somebody I consider a possible heir apparent to DMac of those currently in the building is Shaun Wade, who had experience at Ohio State as a SCB/FS, is physically more similar to DMac than Bryant is, and has a rep as a solid & willing tackler, one of the very best in this past draft…

Last edited:
Belichick mentioned in this week's Breakdown that he thought that Allen's pass to Gabriel might well have been broken up by the DB covering him had Bryant not peeled off from the guy he was covering to knock down the pass. I more or less agree with that, but from every angle I looked at it seemed that the pass, either because of the wind knocking it sideways or having been badly aimed, wasn't going to be close to Gabriel anyway, given the speed at which Gabriel was running away from where the pass seemed to be going.

I was wondering if anyone else thought that.

Belichick mentioned in this week's Breakdown that he thought that Allen's pass to Gabriel might well have been broken up by the DB covering him had Bryant not peeled off from the guy he was covering to knock down the pass. I more or less agree with that, but from every angle I looked at it seemed that the pass, either because of the wind knocking it sideways or having been badly aimed, wasn't going to be close to Gabriel anyway, given the speed at which Gabriel was running away from where the pass seemed to be going.

Possibly, hard to say, yeah maybe. It's hard to see from the sideline view but from the all-22 angle (looking vertically upfield), that Bills WR was wide open. Bryant saved a TD and Allen has a rocket arm where the pass probably wouldn't have been too affected by the wind there. I think Bryant saved the game there in a 4 point game to prevent the TD. Narrative would have been totally different if Mills ended up giving up a 2nd passing TD and the Pats lost.

I wouldn’t go that far… Sometimes SCBs have similar responsibilities to FSs; many times they don’t… It’s not as seamless a transition as some might believe… If you’re going to have a 5’8 - 185 lb starting FS then he needs to have Elite athletic traits as well as superior instincts & tackling ability, and Bryant just doesn’t have enough of them…

Somebody I consider a possible heir apparent to DMac of those currently in the building is Shaun Wade, who had experience at Ohio State as a SCB/FS, is physically more similar to DMac than Bryant is, and has a rep as a solid & willing tackler, one of the very best in this past draft…Bryant doesn’t

I certainly understand the concern about Bryant's measurables, but BB has never been all about measurables and there is of course more to the story. Bryant has earned the trust of the coaches in practice to work his way into games and he has performed well. When I watch him, I never think he looks too small or too slow or too light. I see an aggressive DB who just makes plays. Meanwhile, Wade has all the measurables but can't get on the field. Monday night Sean Davis was in on the crucial fourth down play while Wade was in street clothes. Everything could change of course, but if DMac is gone after this year, Bryant is much closer to assuming responsibilities than Wade.

It's funny. Everyone thought early in the season that the secondary was the biggest weakness of this team. Now they have a near shut down CB, four solid to great safeties, and a pretty good CB on the other side.

I watched that play a dozen times. It looked to me as though the pass was going to be slightly behind the receiver. Still could've made a catch OR the DB covering him could've broken it up. I prefer we never know what would've happened had Bryant not made a STUD play.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back