PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My QB rankings and Analysis, any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't think Carr or Mettenberg are anything special basically just Brady Quinn 2.0's. Bortles is intriguing but his coming out has really been half of this season and I do think Terry bridgeovertroubledwaters will be a solid QB. On Manziel I think you just really overestimate how being a prick will effect him in the NFL, tons of players are jerks and it doesn't impact their play in anyway. Being a guy who loves the spotlight has not effected Cam Newton and being a huge turd hasn't messed up Ben Rothlesburger's career.

I wasn't following things at the time of Kevin O'Connell so I don't know much beyond him being a mobile QB. But do people see Brett Smith being drafted by us in the same way O'Donnell was? I say this because he appears to be similar athletically and McDaniels was supposedly a factor in the drafting of O'Connell and of course seems to have some say in the QB position (Tebow).

I went back and watched some additional Brett Smith tape after seeing how highly so many people on this board have him. Couple of additional things on him. I love his competitiveness and I love that he can run but almost always keeps his eyes downfield when the pocket starts to collapse. I may have dinged him a little to much for some of his throws because they were down a lot in games and his oline was bad. I still have worries about his throwing mechanics and footwork fundamentals. A lot of his throws are flat footed and he needs to use his lower body better in his throwing mechanics. He also seems to throw that ball hard on all routes and I would like to see more touch throws. I was shocked that he did not get a combine invite and could be a real value pick.
I am working on the same concept of my original post with RB's coming up next and should have that on the site shortly, so I hope that it gets even more replies.

Good overall work there. Is there any reason why you have Manziel rated so low compared to other top QB prospects?

Would like to see more of these types of rankings and analysis on the TE position, the Safety position, and the CB position. I feel like all of these could be top needs going into the draft, depending on free agency of course. If Talib does not stay, we might be looking for a 1st round cornerback. :eek:

I went back and watched some additional Brett Smith tape after seeing how highly so many people on this board have him. Couple of additional things on him. I love his competitiveness and I love that he can run but almost always keeps his eyes downfield when the pocket starts to collapse. I may have dinged him a little to much for some of his throws because they were down a lot in games and his oline was bad. I still have worries about his throwing mechanics and footwork fundamentals. A lot of his throws are flat footed and he needs to use his lower body better in his throwing mechanics. He also seems to throw that ball hard on all routes and I would like to see more touch throws. I was shocked that he did not get a combine invite and could be a real value pick.
I am working on the same concept of my original post with RB's coming up next and should have that on the site shortly, so I hope that it gets even more replies.

Can't wait. It was a shame this thread didn't spark more debate.

Good overall work there. Is there any reason why you have Manziel rated so low compared to other top QB prospects?

Would like to see more of these types of rankings and analysis on the TE position, the Safety position, and the CB position. I feel like all of these could be top needs going into the draft, depending on free agency of course. If Talib does not stay, we might be looking for a 1st round cornerback. :eek:

I think my initial post covers why I have Manziel lower than others. I do not deny his on field success and if it was just that I would have him higher. I think despite the success of Wilson, Manziels size and reckless abandon on the field could be a real concern. I also think that his head is not always completely on the game, which is unfair but it is what I want from my QB. He gets knocked down because of the off field stuff because it is not just one incident, but multiple. As far as TE, S, and CB, you are in luck. I will be doing similar posts to this one with those positions. I just posted one on the RB's and TE will be next.

Can't wait. It was a shame this thread didn't spark more debate.

I know, I was hoping for a lot more discussion/debate as well. Maybe it is because it is not a huge position of need, although I might disagree. Maybe the other positions will spark more chatter.

I know, I was hoping for a lot more discussion/debate as well. Maybe it is because it is not a huge position of need, although I might disagree. Maybe the other positions will spark more chatter.

I think that's what it is. I think you shod be scheduling interior OL/DL or TE/safety earlier than maybe you had originally planned ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST