PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Patriots Mock Draft ...with trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This is my first mock in quite a while and I am sure it's far from perfect so any flaming is understandable but here is mine......

#17 - OT Anthony Castonzo - Boston College...this is my WTF pick early in the draft...many think Castonzo can be taken later but I think BB has Brady's health in mind with this pick,while our offensive line is intact it could use young talented depth and I think Castonzo will be a beast of an OL and a local boy to boot.

Patriots trade pick #33 and #74 to Kansas City for #21........a favorite trade partner is back and a shocking surprise with Pioli dropping down to add talent and keep his team on top in the West and NE trading up to get a coveted player.

#21 OLB Akeem Ayers - UCLA ......Ayers is going to be the pass rushing stud we have needed for years and Belichick sees him not lasting to 28 so he cuts the deal and gets his man.

#28 DE Adrian Clayborn - Iowa ....... I really think this kid is going to be outstanding in the pros and I could certainly see NE showing interest in this player that could play well next to Wilfork and Warren.

#60 WR Jerrel Jernigan - Troy ....... More than one scout has compared Jernigan's skills to Deion Branch,another Branch like Rookie for Brady would be exciting.

#92 RB Dion Lewis - Pittsburgh ......... Not a bruiser,but might fit well with our current group and add some depth...I think this is the area where we take a RB and Lewis might be the best of the rest after the higher rounds are over

NE trades #125 and #193 to Detroit for the Lions 4th rounder in 2012....The Lions need some extra draft picks as they don't have many and NE is certain to trade into next season..with how bad Detroit usually is,this might be more of a late 3rd rounder than a lower 4th in 2012

#159 SS Jeron Johnson - Boise State ...... With the career of Meriweather in doubt and McGowan coming off a year away from football,Safety is an issue to add depth to and Johnson adds value here late in the draft.

Last edited:
No complaints?...no compliments?

I guess my draft was not too horrible or I would have heard it by now

I don't mind the idea of trading up, and the thought of actual picks at 17, 21, and 28 sound almost...mind boggling to be honest.

I am not sure that Castonzo at 17, Ayers at 21, and Clayborne at 28 is really going to light people's excitement levels up, but to each his own.

I am just hoping for a higher pick DE, some offense in the first 3 rds, and more than 5 picks heading into next yr's draft. I don't think that is much to ask.

This is my first mock in quite a while and I am sure it's far from perfect so any flaming is understandable but here is mine......

#17 - OT Anthony Castonzo - Boston College...this is my WTF pick early in the draft...many think Castonzo can be taken later but I think BB has Brady's health in mind with this pick,while our offensive line is intact it could use young talented depth and I think Castonzo will be a beast of an OL and a local boy to boot.

Patriots trade pick #33 and #74 to Kansas City for #21........a favorite trade partner is back and a shocking surprise with Pioli dropping down to add talent and keep his team on top in the West and NE trading up to get a coveted player.

#21 OLB Akeem Ayers - UCLA ......Ayers is going to be the pass rushing stud we have needed for years and Belichick sees him not lasting to 28 so he cuts the deal and gets his man.

#28 DE Adrian Clayborn - Iowa ....... I really think this kid is going to be outstanding in the pros and I could certainly see NE showing interest in this player that could play well next to Wilfork and Warren.

#60 WR Jerrel Jernigan - Troy ....... More than one scout has compared Jernigan's skills to Deion Branch,another Branch like Rookie for Brady would be exciting.

#92 RB Dion Lewis - Pittsburgh ......... Not a bruiser,but might fit well with our current group and add some depth...I think this is the area where we take a RB and Lewis might be the best of the rest after the higher rounds are over

NE trades #125 and #193 to Detroit for the Lions 4th rounder in 2012....The Lions need some extra draft picks as they don't have many and NE is certain to trade into next season..with how bad Detroit usually is,this might be more of a late 3rd rounder than a lower 4th in 2012

#159 SS Jeron Johnson - Boise State ...... With the career of Meriweather in doubt and McGowan coming off a year away from football,Safety is an issue to add depth to and Johnson adds value here late in the draft.

I don't know if McGowan will even be back, as he is a free agent, and we seem to be okay at the position (especially since it appears as though BB likes Barrett). I'm not sure he'd even be back if he weren't a FA--as much as I like him.

Meriweather
Chung
Sanders
Barrett
McGowan /Sergio Brown/ possible draft pick--UDFA

No complaints?...no compliments?

I guess my draft was not too horrible or I would have heard it by now

Akeem Ayers is interesting. He's one, if you read forums for different teams, that fans really don't like. On the other hand, the scouts really do like him. I'm not sure he's worth expending two picks on. Stick at 33 and take Brooks Reed or Jabaal Sheard.

As for Adrian Clayborn, having watched quite a bit of youtube footage of different prospects, the one that made me salivate the most was Clayborns. But he doesn't really fit a base 3-4. Having said that, the Patriots are looking at players that don't fit a base 3-4 model: Pernell Mchee, Christian Ballard, Allen Bailey, Da'Quan Bowers and Clayborn himself. All of these, with the exception of McPhee are first round, high to mid second round candidates. So Clayborn wouldn't surprise me at all, in fact, he's my choice as BB's surprise pick of this draft.

I don't even think Akeem Ayers makes the first round, nonetheless needs to be traded up for

I don't even think Akeem Ayers makes the first round, nonetheless needs to be traded up for

I will agree with you here, but who knows anymore? Only one man's opinion counts, so we'll get to finally see here real soon.

I'd have Ayers as a mid-2nd rounder myself, but then again, I am not a scouting service so I don't have all of the pluses and minuses that all of the teams' front offices do.

i read somewhere that in 2012, there are got about 6 OTs coming out who will all be better than any OT in this draft.

This Draft is strong at the DE position and there is alot of depth there, so at 17, i think the patriots will be able to find someone who will make alot more of an impact there than Costonzo will.

just because Costonzo is one of the top rated OTs and is from BC doesnt automatically put him in the top 20. i think if he slipped to 28, you might take him, but i think 17 is too rich for any anyone the patriots might be looking at.

The only players id take at 17 are Watt, Jordan, Julio Jones (if he somehow slipped), Amukamura and maybe Kerrigan or Aldon Smith if BB loves them.

other than them, im trading up or down. i dont like any RB, G, OLB or WR at 17 except for the select few.

I hate this mock draft with the white-hot intensity of one thousand suns. That is all.

I agree.
Trading up to get Akeem Ayers, who can cover but is a very raw pass rusher? No thanks. Most mocks are viewing him as 2nd round anyway.
I got a buddy that's an Iowa fan and he insists some team will be making a BIG mistake taking Clayborn in Round 1. Didn't have as good a season as a Sr. as he did a Jr, for certain. As mentioned, I don't think he can play a base 3/4.
And Dion Lewis in Round 3? Undersized, slow and wasn't even the best RB at Pitt last season.

All due respect, but I'll be mortified if the Patriots draft goes this way...

Great effort. There is no player in this draft that I struggle with as much as Costanza. The tape shows me a self made player that is not a great run blocker or great pass protector, BUT Dante worked him out personally,which tells me that the Pats like something about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes