PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Ideal Patriots in the Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesWelker83

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I have been waiting awhile to write this post so I thought I would write it this week consdiering the draft is in 3 days. The following is going to be my list of guys I think are the Ideal Patriots at each position in the draft. Looking at this draft with the depth I really think we trade out of the first with similar talented players being available in the 2nd/3rd rds. I project a trade with Buffalo at 22 so they can select Tebow and we get their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. I may select a couple guys at certain positions because I think we have multiple holes at those positions such as WR, TE, OLB. I think we need to draft atleast two guys at these positions. The term ideal is going to reflect the combination of value, talent, size, speed, production, combine numbers, character, and work ethic that we demand out of anybody we pick. Here are the guys I think are Ideal Patriots and who I think and hope we pick.

QB - Zac Robinson Oklahoma State 7th Rd
RB - Montario Hardesty Tennessee 3rd Rd or Toby Gerhart 3rd Rd
WR - Damien Williams USC 2nd Rd, Andre Roberts 3rd Rd, David Reed 3rd Rd Emmanuel Sanders 5th Rd, David Gettis 7th Rd
TE - Dennis Pitta BYU 3rd Rd and Tony Moeaki Iowa 5th Rd or Scott Sicko 7th Rd UNH
OG/C - Matt Tennant BC or Ted Larsen NC State 5th/6th Rd
DE - Arthur Jones Syracuse 3rd/4th Rd or Al Woods LSU 3rd/4th Rd and Corey Peters Kentucky or Brandon Deadrick Alabama 7th Rd
OLB - T'eo Nesheim Washington 3rd/4th Rd, Koa Misi Utah 2nd/3rd and Alex Daniels Cinci 6th/7th Rd
CB - Javier Arenas Bama 4th Rd or Alterran Verner UCLA 5th Rd
P - Zoltan Mesko Michigan 7th Rd
PR/KR - Brandon James Florida 7th Rd

S, OT, ILB, NT - No need

I feel people are going to hate this draft or combination of these guys but I really think there is weak value in the late first Rd of this draft. All the 3-4 guys are conversion types who should never be paid as much as a first Rd pick. Are guys like Kindle, Odrick, Wilson, Jackson, Mccourty, or Gresham really worth taking at 22 when similar or possibly better players are available later?

Thoughts?

I have been waiting awhile to write this post so I thought I would write it this week consdiering the draft is in 3 days. The following is going to be my list of guys I think are the Ideal Patriots at each position in the draft. Looking at this draft with the depth I really think we trade out of the first with similar talented players being available in the 2nd/3rd rds. I project a trade with Buffalo at 22 so they can select Tebow and we get their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. I may select a couple guys at certain positions because I think we have multiple holes at those positions such as WR, TE, OLB. I think we need to draft atleast two guys at these positions. The term ideal is going to reflect the combination of value, talent, size, speed, production, combine numbers, character, and work ethic that we demand out of anybody we pick. Here are the guys I think are Ideal Patriots and who I think and hope we pick.

QB - Zac Robinson Oklahoma State 7th Rd
RB - Montario Hardesty Tennessee 3rd Rd or Toby Gerhart 3rd Rd
WR - Damien Williams USC 2nd Rd, Andre Roberts 3rd Rd, David Reed 3rd Rd Emmanuel Sanders 5th Rd, David Gettis 7th Rd
TE - Dennis Pitta BYU 3rd Rd and Tony Moeaki Iowa 5th Rd or Scott Sicko 7th Rd UNH
OG/C - Matt Tennant BC or Ted Larsen NC State 5th/6th Rd
DE - Arthur Jones Syracuse 3rd/4th Rd or Al Woods LSU 3rd/4th Rd and Corey Peters Kentucky or Brandon Deadrick Alabama 7th Rd
OLB - T'eo Nesheim Washington 3rd/4th Rd, Koa Misi Utah 2nd/3rd and Alex Daniels Cinci 6th/7th Rd
CB - Javier Arenas Bama 4th Rd or Alterran Verner UCLA 5th Rd
P - Zoltan Mesko Michigan 7th Rd
PR/KR - Brandon James Florida 7th Rd

S, OT, ILB, NT - No need

I feel people are going to hate this draft or combination of these guys but I really think there is weak value in the late first Rd of this draft. All the 3-4 guys are conversion types who should never be paid as much as a first Rd pick. Are guys like Kindle, Odrick, Wilson, Jackson, Mccourty, or Gresham really worth taking at 22 when similar or possibly better players are available later?

Thoughts?

Actually I like most of these players, there are quite a few players who are 'fits' for our team on this board. It wouldn't surprise me if T'eo or Koa Misi are drafted by BB. Love Williams and Andre Roberts at WR. Many only know the top 25-30 big names, there are many solid NFL players on this list. Add torell Troupe to DE position.

As far as the late 1st round value, you may be right, but you never know who could slide and might be available. Maybe we target and trade up and then trade back with one second round pick. We'll see in soon.

T'eo Nesheim Washington

Thoughts?

I like this kid a lot. I think he projects as a physical OLB that has the ability to apply some pressure in our defense. Yes I know he needs help in coverage, but outside of Sapp, who in this draft has had a chance to drop into coverage.

I like this kid a lot. I think he projects as a physical OLB that has the ability to apply some pressure in our defense. Yes I know he needs help in coverage, but outside of Sapp, who in this draft has had a chance to drop into coverage.

When it comes to the DE/OLB-Hybrid role (ala TBC), which Te'o-Nesheim seems likely to play, the primary duties are rushing the passer (if it's a pass) and setting the edge/stopping runs to the outside. Coverage ability probably won't be required much and should be backstopped by a safety, anyway.

For which, we need good coverage safeties. We have Meriweather and . . . . ummm . . . .

I don't like your punter one bit! :enranged:

Which is to say, very nice choices. One area I'll pick a fight is CB. I like some of the higher rated CBs, and wouldn't be at all opposed to a pick like Kareem Jackson in the 2nd. It would make that position a real area of strength, which the newly WR-ful AFCE seems to call for.

(And seriously, Mesko is my 3rd-rated punter.)

I don't like your punter one bit! :enranged:

Which is to say, very nice choices. One area I'll pick a fight is CB. I like some of the higher rated CBs, and wouldn't be at all opposed to a pick like Kareem Jackson in the 2nd. It would make that position a real area of strength, which the newly WR-ful AFCE seems to call for.

(And seriously, Mesko is my 3rd-rated punter.)

I really like Kareem Jackson and Devin Mccourty but I feel that CB isnt that big of a need with Butler and Bodden locked into starting spots. The other positions we have holes at are major problems. We also just picked Wheatley and Wilhite in 08 and next year is a make or break year for them in year 3. We have invested alot if resources in this position with 2008 and 2009 seconds. Do we really need to invest another 2nd at CB? I think we need to give Butler, Wheatley, and Wilhite time to grow and learn the nuances of the position. I still have a lot of hope for these guys. We also havent seen these guys play in front of a good front 7 that can pressure the passer. They will look light years better once we get a pass rush. We have had a pass rush since we went to the Super Bowl in 07.

However, if BB thinks Jackson or Mccourty are Revis 2.0 or probowl level players then you have to take them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST