PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moving forward: Jets gameplan

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats seemed to play a pretty vanilla defense last night, I only remember a small handful of blitzes, I am not sure if BB was holding back for week 2; but I expect to see a lot more of a pressure defense week 2. Our secondary was outstanding VS ownes and evans, expect to see a lot more blitzes vs a much weaker jets wr core.

Revis was not the starting CB (even though he was the best CB on the team) in the first game of his career where Moss torched the Jets. Revis was on Moss for some of the second game and I remember Moss' only big gain coming on a pass over Kerry Rhodes where Rhodes was called for interference despite both players pushing. Revis has done a good job on him.

Personally I want to see us put Revis one on one with Welker. I'd have Lito cover Moss with Rhodes providing Safety help.

The second game in 2007 between the Pats and Jets was played in a monsoon. Driving rain, swirling winds. Moss still averaged 15.8 YPC.

Also, look for us to get Keller matched up against your LB's, he gave you guys some trouble last time round and he looks good to start this season. Our WR's are far from great, nothing there is going to scare you guys. I want to see us get Leon and Keller the ball often.

The second game in 2007 between the Pats and Jets was played in a monsoon. Driving rain, swirling winds. Moss still averaged 15.8 YPC.

I remember it well, but like I said his one big catch (which would have inflated those numbers) did not come on Revis. Revis also had a pick in that game, right in front of Randy Moss.

Jets Fan here.

You boys better be ready for Sunday.

That defense of yours did not look good. And Mayo is out now?

You got an offense, we all know it, but we've finally got a D. Tom Brady will get hit early and often next week. And lets see how Revis fairs against Moss.

Here's a little free advice. Don't run anywhere near this man:

I would say good luck and all that. But I hate your team, organization, head coach, quarterback and most of you :p.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a major proponent of running the ball, but against the Jets, I want to spread it out in a no huddle. Short passes are good. The reason the Jets devoured the Texans offense is they got them in multiple 3rd and longs and teed off on Schaub. The key to this game will be first and second down. The Pats can't afford any negative plays. Gain some yardage on the early downs, use a no huddle to tire Jenkins and the rest of the pass rush out and that defense will fold, IMO.
On defense, it's all about making Sanchez throw. Though he was great on 3rd down last week, the number of passes that he actually threw past the first down marker was very small, pretty much only 2 that I can remember. There were a lot of dump offs over the middle, screens and swing passes to give the playmakers a chance to play in space and get to the sticks. I would play a tight cover 2, with zones filling up the space between the LOS and the first down mark. If a guy like Clowney or Stuckey beats you deep, so be it. I'd much rather have them try to do that than get Washington the ball in space.

I am a major proponent of running the ball, but against the Jets, I want to spread it out in a no huddle. Short passes are good. The reason the Jets devoured the Texans offense is they got them in multiple 3rd and longs and teed off on Schaub. The key to this game will be first and second down. The Pats can't afford any negative plays. Gain some yardage on the early downs, use a no huddle to tire Jenkins and the rest of the pass rush out and that defense will fold, IMO.
On defense, it's all about making Sanchez throw. Though he was great on 3rd down last week, the number of passes that he actually threw past the first down marker was very small, pretty much only 2 that I can remember. There were a lot of dump offs over the middle, screens and swing passes to give the playmakers a chance to play in space and get to the sticks. I would play a tight cover 2, with zones filling up the space between the LOS and the first down mark. If a guy like Clowney or Stuckey beats you deep, so be it. I'd much rather have them try to do that than get Washington the ball in space.

Not true. Not true at all.

Interesting Tweet by Peter King last night that I posted in the game thread:

Said King, "Each time the Bills send 5 or 6, they bother Brady. As press-box neighbor @albertbreer said, what do you think Rex Ryan will do Sunday?"

I fully expect them to get torched. Did anybody watching the game realize the Patriots QB was seeing action for the first time in 18 month following major knee surgery?

A.) A QB coming off of major knee surgery is going to be "rusty". The major mistake being made today is comparing last night's performance to 2007. You can't because it's simply impossible to expect a QB to be fully in tune the first game back.

B.) If last night's game was 2007, TB might have been hit once. The hits on Brady occurred 5-7 seconds into the play. How many sacks/ hits occurred in the second half?

C.) Brady will not be as "rusty" on Sunday because it's his second game. The biggest jump always occurrs between game one and two.

I have to say I don't know how to feel about the Pats game. For some reason we always seem to get a glimmer of hope before playing them in the early season game (Harrison getting suspended in 07, Brady going down in 08, Struggling at home against the Bills yesterday) only for us to get blown out at home.

The Bills were able to get to Brady with pressure from their defensive line. Ellis will be a huge addition but still we don't have an Aaron Schobel (Who played great) to consistently get pressure from the outside. I'm not relying on Gholston and Bryan Thomas for anything.

Our best bet at getting pressure on Brady (Which as we all know is a must) comes through disguised blitzing. Those overload blitzes last week (Were we would pile on from one side) were great to see but I think Brady's smart enough to pick them off. That offense is almost designed to beat blitz happy defenses. I doubt we'll bring too many guys, I think we'll bring 4-5 fom different places.

Scott and Harris may be the two best blitzing ILB's in the NFL and I'd love to see them get some shots at Brady next week but we have to be careful because that little snake Welker will have all sorts of space over the middle, which is why I think we should play Revis on him one on one. Moss seems to be to be doing a lot more in the short passing game, at least he was yesterday. That worries me, a lot.

It will be a very tough task for this defense. We absolutely DOMINATED a promising Houston offense last week, I mean completely destroyed them. I just question whether or not we can get away with doing the same things. Hopefully we can control the ball on the ground on the offensive end and keep Brady off the field. I think we matchup better on that side of the ball, their defense clearly misses Seymour and our powerful offensive line could take advantage. Jackson seemes to be having good success, expect to see a lot of Jones and Washington.

I don't feel too confident about this game to be honest but I'm still excited as hell to see what we can do. It's a great matchup to see where we are really at as a team and if we win it really sends a statement in this division.

Jets Fan here.

You got an offense, we all know it, but we've finally got a D. Tom Brady will get hit early and often next week. And lets see how Revis fairs against Moss.

I would say good luck and all that. But I hate your team, organization, head coach, quarterback and most of you :p.

If you hate us so much go back to your board and stop trolling

i really never buy this. BB is smart and the best but lets not overcredit him .. We were losing the game until the last 2 mins so his vanilla D wasnt supposed to give up 24 pts.

Then why did he pull only two stunts the whole game, and both on the last Bills drive which gave us two sacks (although one came from the outside)?

Not posting giant high res photos of Steve Martin would also be nice, too.

Jets Fan here.

Then why post here? you have no business talking about football.

I didn't have the time or desire to read all of the other posts. So if some of this has already been said, I apologize.

Break Down of the Jets Game, i watched every snap.
- The Jets D looked dominant. This is against a very good, young Texans team. Revis completely shut down Andre Johnson, Lito looked better than he had in preseason, Schaub had no time to throw the ball.
- The numbers didn't look that bad, but I was not blown away by the Jets running game. Thomas Jones broke 2 30 yard plus runs late, without those runs the running numbers would of looked putrid.
- You can't say enough about how well Sanchez played. He did have the one pick and a few of his throws were off, but all in all the kid looked great. Made all the throws, went through his reads, took care of the ball, spread it out to multiple receivers.

Break Down of the Pats Game, i watched every sanp.
- When Buffalo brought pressure, it was tough going for NE, when the gave Brady time he killed them.
- The Patsy D didn't look good. This Buffalo is awful, TO did nothing, but Trent Edwards still looked good and that swiss cheese Bills OLine held up.

Next Sunday's Showdown...
- If you knew besides what you saw week 1 you would assume that the Jets are hands down the better team. However, that is not the way this game works. Rex Ryan has brought a new attitude to this team, hopefully that carries over to the NE game. In the past, I think the Jets have beaten themselves when playing NE because they expected to lose. If that mentality can be over come, talent wise I think the Jets match up favorably to the Patsys.
- NE should try to run some hurry up, you will need Jenkins taking some plays off. The man is a beast that cannot be blocked when he is fresh. In addition, the Jets seemed a little vulnerable to quick slants. Quick passes will be the key for NE. That and keeping the Brady's jersey clean.
- The Jets should take advantage of Mayo being out and control the clock and the ball. I see a lot of short passes and lots of runs, draws, and screens.

In the end it will come down to this. Can the Jets get to Brady, or can NE's OLine protect him?

I didn't have the time or desire to read all of the other posts. So if some of this has already been said, I apologize.

Break Down of the Jets Game, i watched every snap.
- The Jets D looked dominant. This is against a very good, young Texans team. Revis completely shut down Andre Johnson, Lito looked better than he had in preseason, Schaub had no time to throw the ball.
- The numbers didn't look that bad, but I was not blown away by the Jets running game. Thomas Jones broke 2 30 yard plus runs late, without those runs the running numbers would of looked putrid.
- You can't say enough about how well Sanchez played. He did have the one pick and a few of his throws were off, but all in all the kid looked great. Made all the throws, went through his reads, took care of the ball, spread it out to multiple receivers.

Break Down of the Pats Game, i watched every sanp.
- When Buffalo brought pressure, it was tough going for NE, when the gave Brady time he killed them.
- The Patsy D didn't look good. This Buffalo is awful, TO did nothing, but Trent Edwards still looked good and that swiss cheese Bills OLine held up.

Next Sunday's Showdown...
- If you knew besides what you saw week 1 you would assume that the Jets are hands down the better team. However, that is not the way this game works. Rex Ryan has brought a new attitude to this team, hopefully that carries over to the NE game. In the past, I think the Jets have beaten themselves when playing NE because they expected to lose. If that mentality can be over come, talent wise I think the Jets match up favorably to the Patsys.
- NE should try to run some hurry up, you will need Jenkins taking some plays off. The man is a beast that cannot be blocked when he is fresh. In addition, the Jets seemed a little vulnerable to quick slants. Quick passes will be the key for NE. That and keeping the Brady's jersey clean.
- The Jets should take advantage of Mayo being out and control the clock and the ball. I see a lot of short passes and lots of runs, draws, and screens.

In the end it will come down to this. Can the Jets get to Brady, or can NE's OLine protect him?

Didn't you hear? The game has been cancelled. The Jets have been awarded the next ten Super Bowls, Sanchez is in Canton, and Ryan is in for sainthood.

The new, new, new... or very new,new,new,new Jets make competition pointless.

Didn't you hear? The game has been cancelled. The Jets have been awarded the next ten Super Bowls, Sanchez is in Canton, and Ryan is in for sainthood.

The new, new, new... or very new,new,new,new Jets make competition pointless.

I hear ya, being a Jets fan I hear this every year. Usually I am a little more realistic than the standard Jets fan. However, this year feels different. New staff, new attitude, new team. I know what you Patriots fans are going through, until it happens you always assume you will remain on top. Just like the Yankees and Red Sox. Even in the 9th inning of game 7 of the ALCS, I assumed the Yankees were going to pull it out. But before that, in the last few years, you could feel the Sox getting closer and closer. That is what you have been feeling for the past few years. The Jets getting closer and closer, of course you will never admit it. I think this Jets team is a very different animal than the teams you have faced recently.

it is just too bad we've only recently been forbidden to quote other people in our sigs otherwise mine would be so long and archived... I look forward to Sunday.

Hey guy's Jet's fan here, Just some quick thoughts and comments.
As someone stated earlier the best plan is of course stop the run and make him pass.
Houston used this strategy and were shocked when the kid completed something like 12 for 16 passes for 197yards on 3rd down alone. Was it a freak ? who knows .. The kid is really good, I'm not saying that as a fan but he has "it". Really good footwork, very accurate, slightly above average arm strength and above average pocket sense. Right now he is better than a bunch of starters in the league. The Jet running game was held in check for 3 quarters until it seemed like Houston ran out of gas and some holes started opening up in the 4th.

Of course BB is going to show him some looks he hasn't seen, I think he gets a little bit of an advantage playing against this crazy Ryan Defense everyday in practice though.

Did BB show his whole Defense last nite , I hope not because considering the condition of Buffalo's line. I wouldn't be that impressed. The Jet OL is much better than Buffalo's so they would have to throw more in to get even close to the same result.

The Jet's will definately attack with the TE and screen you with Washington. they will run alot to the middle trying to wear down Wilfolk, who looked gassed last nite.
Pasiing will be similar to what you guys did last nite 10yard routes at most. depending how much cushion your DB's give. Typical ball control offense. The goal is to win with Defense and not let the Kid do anything to lose it.

On "D" Brady looked good in the 2nd half, the rust is coming off.
The OL as far as everyone in NY is concerned has never recovered from the SB.
They are just older. Jenkins will demand a double team. and then they will rush 3-4 from any weird angle. It is a direct copy of the Ravens D. they come from all angles.As far as the corners Revis was given a direct assignment on Andre Johnson last week, didn't matter which side. Yes he shut him down , don't know if it was the coverage or that Schaub was running for his life. I would agree with earlier statements that they will probably blitz up the middle as jenkins takes up 2 and which ever side is open it will be Scott or Harris making Brady roll to the side.
I know they are gearing up for the middle routes run by Welker and Moss. I have no idea who will be on Welker, but I know the MLB's are supposedly waiting for him.
No predictions here, I just know it will be a blood bath for the 1st half at least.
Good luck gentlemen.

The NFL is great, week 2 are we are already getting pumped. Week 1 was already one for the ages and it is getting even better. This is fun.

I think Rex and the Jets will come out and try to be super aggressive and physical to set the tone and mindset of the game, even to the detriment of giving up a score or getting a late hit/unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Rex is all about emotion and Bill is all about x's & o's. I think early on you have a great chance to catch us being overaggressive. Short slants to Welker (who I think will be covered by Revis, moss will be doubled by Lito and a safety I think). Our running game looked like crap, outside of Leon, until the 4th quarter, but that doesn't matter if you are not behind. At the end of the day Thomas Jones had over 100 yards rushing...the final score doesn't care if he got those spread over 4 quarters or on 2 plays. That's where a good defense comes in, and that's what we have this year. The three headed beast in the middle of Jenkins, Harris, and Scott is seriously terrifying to behold. I like our chances because of this D, but the Patriots are the Patriots and they win games they have to. Brady is one of the best (you don't know how much it kills me to say that), but as a Yankees fan the similarities between them and the Pats are striking. Dominate for a decade, get to a championship game but lose, and then all of a sudden it's 5 years since you won. Doesn't feel like it, but it's half a decade all the same.
If you force Sanchez to throw that is the best chance, but the kid shows poise beyond his years and Keller will be his primary target. I don't think you'll be able to run on us. Ellis is back from his suspension and Gholston has held his own. Your best chance is to put the game on Brady's back and he is more than capable to break my heart once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST