PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moving forward: Jets gameplan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they will pay attention to the Jets receivers the way they did with Buffalo's so I don't see the Jets being able to run on the Pats that well.

The second game in 2007 between the Pats and Jets was played in a monsoon. Driving rain, swirling winds. Moss still averaged 15.8 YPC.

5-79, with a long of 46 (that big play he mentioned). Other than that, he was 4-33, at 8 yards per reception. When you consider Revis was a Rookie and Moss was the most unstoppable WR in football that season, that's a win (yes, even in the rain). Revis just negated Andre Johnson. Revis-Moss will be one hell of a matchup.

As for Welker, I'm hoping he comes inside and gets pounded by David harris, but I'm almost resigned to the fact that he'll be torching Lito with regularity

As for Welker, I'm hoping he comes inside and gets pounded by David harris, but I'm almost resigned to the fact that he'll be torching Lito with regularity

Hey man dont hate on Lito lol, he may have lost a step, but he is still an above average CB. He is faster than Welker still. remember that.

Last edited:
On defense, BB has only one real choice...stop the run and make the rookie QB win the game. Stack the box to stop the run and force Sanchez to make quick decisions. Jones and Washington combined for 35 carries and 167 yards. Sanchez had only 18 completions, but averaged 15 yards/completions. I didn't see the Jets game but I can only guess that the RB success allowed alot of play action. Without Mayo, I'm concerned that the speedy RB duo will leave the OLBs vulnerable...and Keller may become a big factor if Sanchez is given time.
On offense, I see a similar game plan as last night. Max protection for Brady and short passes. Ryan will be ambushing Brady 24-7, so I expect alot Faulk draws and swing passes. The screen needs to be better executed than last night. If the Pats can withstand the early onslaught and use the Jets aggressiveness against them, Brady may get some some shots down the field. Jenkins is a beast in the middle. Harris is a stud at LB. BB may decide to test Gholston on the line. Again, I expect alot of draws.

I would love to hear opinions on the Jets from someone who actually saw their game 1.

I agree with most of what you have said but actually the running game really didnt take over until late in the game. Sanchez looked very good for his first game but did get away with a couple of passes that could have been intercepted. He sometimes doesnt get the ball high enough on the screen passes. Keller is going to cause serious matchup problems for your defense. Also, I think we will have some success running against you as we have a very good OL. Our defense is very aggressive and I think BB will spread us out to create one on one matchups and give Brady many options when we blitz (and we will blitz). Welker scares the crap out of me more than Moss does as I believe Revis can contain Moss for the most part. Also, I think Baker and Faulk will have big games for the Pats as Baker wants to get back at the Jets and we dont have the best pass covering group of LB's. i'm sure Belichick will do his best to help Baker get his revenge. Jenkins is a beast in the middle and David Harris will be better than Scott in a year or two. He hits hard! We have to get pressure on Brady if we want to win this game. Brady is still not stepping into his throws as he did before the injury but is still lethal given time. Gholston was ok but nothing special in the opener. Ryan is trying to get him to become more aggressive. I think this game comes down to the final minutes and hope the Jets can pull it out but the Pats have the edge in that scenario.

I agree with most of what you have said but actually the running game really didnt take over until late in the game. Sanchez looked very good for his first game but did get away with a couple of passes that could have been intercepted. He sometimes doesnt get the ball high enough on the screen passes. Keller is going to cause serious matchup problems for your defense. Also, I think we will have some success running against you as we have a very good OL. Our defense is very aggressive and I think BB will spread us out to create one on one matchups and give Brady many options when we blitz (and we will blitz). Welker scares the crap out of me more than Moss does as I believe Revis can contain Moss for the most part. Also, I think Baker and Faulk will have big games for the Pats as Baker wants to get back at the Jets and we dont have the best pass covering group of LB's. i'm sure Belichick will do his best to help Baker get his revenge. Jenkins is a beast in the middle and David Harris will be better than Scott in a year or two. He hits hard! We have to get pressure on Brady if we want to win this game. Brady is still not stepping into his throws as he did before the injury but is still lethal given time. Gholston was ok but nothing special in the opener. Ryan is trying to get him to become more aggressive. I think this game comes down to the final minutes and hope the Jets can pull it out but the Pats have the edge in that scenario.

1. I don't see BB going into max protect for Brady because that is playing into what Ryan wants.. he wants a target to throw the house at. You will see a lot of hot throws and sight adjustments that are predicated on where the pressure/blitz is coming from, and beating the rush, and nobody is better than Brady at reading that.

2. What makes you say that Brady is not stepping into his throws? He was doing that 100% in the last quarter. How else did he get those deep completions? You cannot throw bullets like those without following through.

3. Gholston is a joke. He cannot shed the block. If he plays, we will go right at him.

Last edited:
1. I don't see BB going into max protect for Brady because that is playing into what Ryan wants.. he wants a target to throw the house at. You will see a lot of hot throws and sight adjustments that are predicated on where the pressure/blitz is coming from, and beating the rush, and nobody is better than Brady at reading that.

2. What makes you say that Brady is not stepping into his throws? He was doing that 100% in the last quarter. How else did he get those deep completions? You cannot throw bullets like those without following through.

3. Gholston is a joke. He cannot shed the block. If he plays, we will go right at him.

I am not saying he is never stepping into his throws. What I am saying is that when he is pressured he is throwing more off his back foot than he used to prior to the injury, thus the increased number of high throws you are siing from him. I think that is pretty plain to see. It is possible for someone to say something about your golden boy without them being wrong.

I am not saying he is never stepping into his throws. What I am saying is that when he is pressured he is throwing more off his back foot than he used to prior to the injury, thus the increased number of high throws you are siing from him. I think that is pretty plain to see. It is possible for someone to say something about your golden boy without them being wrong.

Did you watch the game? Are you telling me he wasn't pressured on the last two drives?

Another Jets fan checking in...here you go from my pov.

Sanchez was impressive last week, and has been impressive so far overall. Highest compliment I can give him is that he moves in the pocket like Brady and has an accurate, strong arm. Actually, the comparisons between the background of Brady and Sanchez are pretty similar...limited college experience, very smart, gym rat. Now if Sanchez becomes 90% of Brady, I'll sign that check right now.

Last week, the Texans did stack the box, and the first half rushing results showed it. What they didnt expect was Sanchez being so efficient on 3rd down and so calm in the pocket. But running game was shut down until Q4, when the Texans were bringing everything up on every play...once they got through they were gone.

Jets D is very solid. Combine alot of talent (Revis, Jenkins, Scott and Rhodes alone) with a very good D coach and it's a nice combination. Simms kept saying he didn't understand why Kubiak wasn't spreading the Jets out more, which is what I expect the Pats to do all the time. Jets did a great job picking up screens, but I think Brady is the best in NFL at disguising these.

No one thought the Jets would beat the Texans, let alone destroy them. We won't know until later in the year how good they are, but the Jets did a number on them.

Pats seem to play better against the Jets at the Meadowlands than in Foxboro (Jets have taken 2 of last 3 regular season in NE), and now there is tape on the Jets. I don't think either coach "hid" a bunch of stuff for this week, and Ryan may as well call Belichick and say "we are blitzing from every angle", because the world knows that is what he is doing.

Should be a fun game...Pats will need to throw the ball 50+times again to win IMHO, they simply don't have the running game.

Probably been mentioned, but we might play them the way we adjusted our game against the Ravens in '07. Hurry up offense so Ryan has no time to adjust, and Jenkins wears down.

I am thinking we see some Tampa 2 looks on D even though our D-line is not the fastest around. I know the common thought is get after a young rook QB, but I think we dial down the attack and work more "bend don't break" with hopes the offense get's us a win and Sanchez throws a pick or two. We bit so hard on the screens last night, with poor closing on the tackle, I think we reign it in and play smart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey