PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Most Cogent Analysis Anywhere on McCourty's "Sophomore Slump"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have. He's playing better but we're playing zone. I'd rather not use 1st rounders on CBs that can't play man. The only justification there was for drafting him at that slot was that he's a four down player. That seems to have changed, too.
Wait. You say he is playing poorly, then when I point out he is not, you decide that playing well in a zone doesnt count? We have never been a man team outside of those few games, so why would that matter. On top of that, 3 games with no pass rush and weak safety help is hardly sufficient to judge a corners ability to play man to man.

As far as your last comment, it makes no sense.
A starting corner is justified at 27. What has changed about being a 4 down player? He is.

fair point.In fact, the defensive numbers /points scored against have dropped every single game since the start of the season.There is also the Arrington factor, in that HIS play at the other corner has teams looking at McCourty more than last season.
Umm, no. Arrington has some Ints. That is a small fraction of assessing the play of a corner. Arrington is what he is, and that is not a guy who QBs look away from. Opportunistic on tipped balls and wayward throws, sure. Shut down corner, God no.
The reason McCourty was thrown at a lot early in the season is that we played man, and he took the #1 guy. QBs are looking at their #1 guy, and the play calls make him the primary target. Notice that as we play more zone, fewer throws go Mccourtys way, because he is not covering the primary pattern on almost every play.

McCourty has been criticized for mistakes in his man to man technique, rightfully so, but has shown incremental improvement, which, believe it or not is a GOOD THING. You just don't take a zone corner and drop man to man coverage responsibilities on him and *presto!*, hes all pro again. McCourty is still the same player he has shown to be, the skills are the same and gaining experience at the NFL level in a new coverage scheme is going to take time.
I don't care who you put in man coverage if you give the QB 6 seconds to throw, and the safeties are late bringing the help THAT THE CORNER IS COACHED TO RELY ON the results will be poor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shut down corner, God no.

where did I post that?

Arrington has improved sufficiently in BB's eyes that he has become the #2 corner..and has precipitated the release of Bodden.McCourty has drawn more throws in the man to man as the #1 CB because of technique issues...this has been discussed in the local media and confirmed by eye by me on a couple of occasions so far this season. He's been beaten off the line of scrimmage and had trouble with the chuck inside of 5 yards. MY point was simply that he looks like he is making incremental progress with these techniques.Of course he's going to get thrown at while covering the other team's #1. Why do you always have to be so argumentative no matter what anyone posts pro or con?

Last edited:
Shut down corner, God no.

where did I post that?

Arrington has improved sufficiently in BB's eyes that he has become the #2 corner..and has precipitated the release of Bodden.McCourty has drawn more throws in the man to man as the #1 CB because of technique issues...this has been discussed in the local media and confirmed by eye by me on a couple of occasions so far this season. He's been beaten off the line of scrimmage and had trouble with the chuck inside of 5 yards. MY point was simply that he looks like he is making incremental progress with these techniques.Of course he's going to get thrown at while covering the other team's #1. Why do you always have to be so argumentative no matter what anyone posts pro or con?
Not being argumentative just disputing that Arrington is causing them to look elsewhere. He wasn't even playing much when we played a lot of man, he was the 4th corner when Dowling was in and the 3rd when he wasnt while we played man.
I just have a sore spot when people equate sacks as good overall DL play or ints as good overall corner play.

Not being argumentative just disputing that Arrington is causing them to look elsewhere. He wasn't even playing much when we played a lot of man, he was the 4th corner when Dowling was in and the 3rd when he wasnt while we played man.
I just have a sore spot when people equate sacks as good overall DL play or ints as good overall corner play.

I never mentioned INT's...all I said was, Arrington has played well enough to be given the #2 CB slot....this obviously precipitated BB's move with Bodden, who was signed for #1 money and was relegated to the slot. Arrington has the same number of tackles as McCourty, and has 4 INT's(there, I mentioned it). If THAT is bad cornerback play then we have HUGE MEGA-problems because both primary CB's are essentially mirroring each other. The fact that points scored against has dropped every game since the first makes ME feel that the cornerback play is steadily getting better and Arrington's play has gotten better since last season. If not, then all hell will break loose and every team will be throwing for 500 yards on the Pats the rest of the season. I do NOT subscribe to this theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST