PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mortensen: Rodney Harrison to be suspended 4 games for Human Growth Hormone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure he was under an NFL contract?

If so why don't the palyers doctors prescribe the stuff to facilitate the players recovery?

He was cut from the Jags the other day... he signed a 2 or 3 year deal.

This has already been covered. It doesn't matter if it's morally right or wrong. The key here is that it's against NFL rules and Harrison knowingly broke them. Harrison is not making excuses, but why are some of the fans?

I'm hardly making excuses. And I also appreciate a summary of what had been posted and what I've already read. My point, however, addresses the nature of the rule itself since unlike steroids, HGH is used more to speed up recovery rather than as a performance enhancer, a point Rodney himself addressed in his apology.

You might consider reading what I had actually written rather than presuming to put words in my mouth.

I'm hardly making excuses. And I also appreciate a summary of what had been posted and what I've already read. My point, however, addresses the nature of the rule itself since unlike steroids, HGH is used more to speed up recovery rather than as a performance enhancer, a point Rodney himself addressed in his apology.

You might consider reading what I had actually written rather than presuming to put words in my mouth.

Not true about muscle growth.

It stimulates both the differentiation and proliferation of myoblasts. It also stimulates amino acid uptake and protein synthesis in muscle and other tissues.

Bill's Girl, I'm so happy to see you posting again!:)

Good to see you too Bella....loved that bit about blaming the Steelers! That was a dirty hit on Rodney, one of the few that makes me sick to my stomach to see on replay.

I have thought for a long time now that the banned substance list in cycling and for the Olympics has gone overboard. Some of the meds I take everyday for asthma would get me banned for life from the Olympics and the Tour de France.....it makes no sense. If I'm not mistaken there are certain cold medications that can get you disqualified. I don't get what the big deal is with HGH, if the NFL lets you get pounded into a bloody pulp every week, why can't they allow a substance that allows the body to heal faster?

I don't think that's exactly the point.

I have to acknowledge I haven't read back through this thread and looked at all your posts. I don't know what position you've stated on this RH issue. Can I ask you to summarize your position this issue please?

My position is that if Rodney acquired HGH, he deserves to be punished. It also doesn't surprise me, as he has the look of a guy who uses strength enhancing supplements (I called him a "roider" and was rightly blasted for it, but the term was meant to encompass the HGH-look as well that guys like Barry Bonds sport). Alot of the arguments are "well everyone does it, so the NFL shouldn't punish him"... which is complete BS.

Alot of the guys on this forum think Patriots players are their best friends or part of their family. As I've pointed out on multiple occasions, they aren't; the mindless defense of everything and anything they do and the hero worship of guys who aren't really heroes (in other words, most football players) should probably stop. Rodney cheated, he got caught red-handed, and then he admitted it... him admitting it wasn't some act of a man with great character, but rather all he could do to avoid further suspension since the evidence against him was probably insurmountable if the NFL was willing to stand behind it; it's the same "admission" a small child makes when crying after caught doing something naughty.

Yes, Rodney's an aging player who's had injury problems over the past few years. Yes, Rodney is one of my favorites and I'm hugely disappointed over the fact that he won't be playing in 4 games this year. But I'm not about to defend the guy like he's my brother when I've never met him in my life, and it's clear that he was caught cheating.

Last edited:
Not true about muscle growth.

It stimulates both the differentiation and proliferation of myoblasts. It also stimulates amino acid uptake and protein synthesis in muscle and other tissues.

Does Rodney look bigger or more ripped to you?

A lesson to be learned ...

Next time guys on here who bash Merrimen or any other NFL athlete for using illegal enhanced substances should just STFU,It could and DID happen within this team tonight and with no warning.

Maybe next time use an opinion like an "its a shame he was dumb to do it" or whatever but don't be stupid with the very negative comments and such like the 'Merriroid' nickname or go to the Chargers site with a troll mentality which I can guarantee some have done here,It will come back to bite you in the a-s

Its Bad karma

ESPN has a podcast up, just a couple of interesting comments.

Mortensen:
  • Rodney's suspension couldve been longer, union was fighting the length.
  • Players willing to take HGH, not always about money, but the passion they have for the game.
  • Believes there will be more suspensions coming Monday/Tuesday

Len Pasquarelli:

• People will wonder, 'is this the tip of the iceberg.'
  • Naive not to think there are players looking to gain an edge, recover from injury quickly.
  • If you're Belichick, thinking 'what do I have to do to get secondary depth.'
  • A few guys are in appeal, will see more suspensions. Not necessarily 'big names' like Rodney.

Both really emphasized Rodney's passion for the game, how that can drive guys to take this stuff to get back on the field.

I thought Rodney looked a bit thinner this year in preseason action and yes,Quicker out there

Was it the drug effect or just hard work and good weight control?

That's a straw man argument. You made a false statement about HGH. Also, just because Rodney says it took it for this period and for this long, doesn't mean it's true.

My point is that HGH has a direct relation to muscle growth and your statement to the contrary is false.

A lesson to be learned ...

Next time guys on here who bash Merrimen or any other NFL athlete for using illegal enhanced substances should just STFU,It could and DID happen within this team tonight and with no warning.

Maybe next time use an opinion like an "its a shame he was dumb to do it" or whatever but don't be stupid with the very negative comments and such like the 'Merriroid' nickname or go to the Chargers site with a troll mentality which I can guarantee some have done here,It will come back to bite you in the a-s

Its Bad karma
Coming from the man who's comparing this to when Bledsoe got knocked out in another thread ? :

Is HGH our Mo Lewis
Give me a f*cking break with your holier than thou crap.

Wow, I am just speechless. This is pathetic. I cannot believe Rodney would do this. God I'm pissed.

If you're Belichick, thinking 'what do I have to do to get secondary depth.'

Why? Sanders and Hawkins filled in just fine last year and the year before, and Meriweather was brought in as Rodney's eventual replacement anyhow. The depth is secure; I'm not too worried about this. If it's really a problem, Hawkins is still available, and there will be some decent cuts to be had tomorrow, most likely.

If anything, this might be a blessing in disguise. It keeps Rodney a little fresher for the later games, which become more and more important, and the all-important playoffs.

Last edited:
My excitement about the beginning of the season has come down a bit now.Its not that pats have avoided these players before like morris was suspended 4 games , so was cloud etc...Somehow just before the first game every year our team always has some kind of bad news like milloy,branch , rodney.

Harrison is one of fav players ,but no matter how much he can admit-i have to wonder if he wouldve admitted it if he hadnt got caught.
i wonder who else is going to be called out in the entire league. mortenson said there may be a NFL assistant trainer who maybe next

Sorry, didn't mean to sound hostile to you, rather I was aiming my comments more towards the, "Well everyone else is doing it," crowd.

Why? Sanders and Hawkins filled in just fine last year and the year before, and Meriweather was brought in as Rodney's eventual replacement anyhow. The depth is secure; I'm not too worried about this.

Well it sounded like Pasquarelli was thinking Belichick must be sick of sh*t happening to the secondary.

I thought Rodney looked a bit thinner this year in preseason action and yes,Quicker out there

Was it the drug effect or just hard work and good weight control?

Well, I thought Rodney physically looked pretty much the same and he looked pretty slow in the first preseason. Look, there's no question to me that he healed quicker, but he really didn't bulk up like some steroid freak. If HGH makes one heal faster and there are certain medical benefits including an increase in bone density, then why dismiss this outright, classify it in the same category as a performance booster and ban it as such. Could HGH not help battered and ailing retired NFLers?

Last edited:
Don't try to tell this to Tshirt Dynasty...
Why? I don't disagree with a single word in his post, except for one claim ...that it's difficult to detect because it's naturally occurring. It's difficult to detect because it's naturally occurring and has an extremely short half-life in the human body (i.e. you can't detect a surge in natural levels above what's normally there unless you do the blood test less than an hour after the HGH has been injected). But that's a pretty minor point. Seriously, it's got a half-life of something like 45 minutes to an hour, if I remember right. Good luck testing for anything with that short of a half-life.

Coming from the man who's comparing this to when Bledsoe got knocked out in another thread ? :

Give me a f*cking break with your holier than thou crap.

What are you going to do about it? - Obviously nothing here punk like in real life. .Heres a suggestion jerk - STFU! - POS and
DON'T read my posts if you don't like em - Shows the mentality there

Your insulting comments need to be kept to yourself - Not on here.

Last edited:
Well, I thought Rodney physically looked pretty much the same and he looked pretty slow in the first preseason. Look, there's no question to me that he healed quicker, but he really didn't bulk up like some steroid freak. If HGH makes one heal faster and there are certain medical benefits including an increase in bone density, then why dismiss this outright, classify it in the same category as a performance booster and ban it as such. Could HGH not help battered and ailing retired NFLers?

Maybe if it was prescribed by a practicing physician, not by the NFLer himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back