PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mort saying the idea of Culpepper floated around, while Schefter says

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good qaurterback needs their physical tools to allude tackles for a split second just to make a decision, not neccesarily run.

I've had an acl and it takes atl east a full year if not more to feel and trust the movement you had before. Like Culpepper many come back to fast and hinder themselves.

No one wants him because he is 31, has lost on lousy teams, and wants to be the main guy. That doesn't fit in most cases. I just might for a team like the Pats who have a championship supporting cast.

Face it, Casssel will never have a year like Cullpepper did.

In Bill I trust. I wonder what he has up his sleeve.

If I had my choice of Simms, Rattay, Guitierez or Culpepper............

I would take Culpepper everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

How quickly people forget that this guy was once a defensive coordinators worst nightmare.

Cannon arm, Strongest QB physically in the history of the NFL. Played with Moss for several seasons.....Had a tough couple of years and everyone wanted to bail on him.......Sounds like Randy Moss's story before he came to New England.
i never felt he was a def coord worst nightmare. he played in the NFC and was always overhyped because of his long balls to moss. no offense but i always thought he wasnt too smart.

I'm not sure where you get your information, but the Patriots sytem seems to be whatever thier next opponents weakness is. If they can run on a team, they run, if they can pass on a team, they pass.

Culpepper is no Tom Brady. But somehow, we can take almost any intelligent player in this league and ask him to do one thing well and he will succeed at doing that here.

I get my information from Belichick, the players, and every person who covers the Patriots. The Patriots revise their GAMEPLAN for the individual opponents, not their system. They don't say one week that they are going to have receivers responsible for adjusting their routes based on the defense and then the next week say ignore the defense all together and just run the routes you are given. That isn't how it works. They don't write new playbooks every week of the season.

No matter what the week's gameplan is, the offensive personnel have to be able to read the defense and adjust their assignments based on the defense they are given.

So what if we can take any intelligent player and make him successful here? What does this have to do with Culpepper? How many dumb players like Culpepper have been successful here? Donald Hayes? Chad Jackson?

Last edited:
Are you willing to have Cassel turn it over as many times and/or go three-and-out six or seven times a game? Because that seems to be what Cassel usually does in this offense.

As bad as Cassel could be, it would never be the monumental disaster it would be if Culpepper was running this offense. He could easily set the single season record for lowest completion percentage and most INTs. Culpepper is too stupid to run this offense. Plain and simple.

Move on. Culpepper is never coming here.

i never felt he was a def coord worst nightmare. he played in the NFC and was always overhyped because of his long balls to moss. no offense but i always thought he wasnt too smart.

career records...

G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
2007 Oakland Raiders 7 6 108 186 58.1 1,331 7.2 5 5 21 130 78.0 20 40 2.0 3 9 3
2006 Miami Dolphins 4 4 81 134 60.4 929 6.9 2 3 21 150 77.0 10 20 2.0 1 3 0
2005 Minnesota Vikings 7 7 139 216 64.4 1,564 7.2 6 12 31 169 72.0 24 147 6.1 1 5 3
2004 Minnesota Vikings 16 16 379 548 69.2 4,717 8.6 39 11 46 238 110.9 88 406 4.6 2 9 4
2003 Minnesota Vikings 14 14 295 454 65.0 3,479 7.7 25 11 37 196 96.4 73 422 5.8 4 16 6
2002 Minnesota Vikings 16 16 333 549 60.7 3,853 7.0 18 23 47 244 75.3 106 609 5.7 10 23 9
2001 Minnesota Vikings 11 11 235 366 64.2 2,612 7.1 14 13 33 186 83.3 71 416 5.9 5 16 7
2000 Minnesota Vikings 16 16 297 474 62.7 3,937 8.3 33 16 34 181 98.0 89 470 5.3 7 11 6
1999 Minnesota Vikings 1 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 0.0 3 6 2.0 0 1 0
TOTAL 1,867 2,927 63.8 22,422 7.7 142 94 270 1,494 89.9 484 2,536 5.2 33 93 38

Not sure how his knee feels now...but it would appear that he came back to quickly from knee surgery and it affected him greatly.

As for intelligence....He is his own agent and negotiates his contracts with management. Apparently, the folks down in Miami didn't like that part of him and it got him an early release. He doesn't seem to be an genious, but he's never had off-field issues like a lot of dumbasses seem to get into.

Didn't Culpepper use to throw to that Moss guy? :banned:

As for intelligence....He is his own agent and negotiates his contracts with management.

I think this is the biggest proof the guy is a moron. He gets screwed in every one of his deals. Negotiating your own deals does not mean you are smart. In fact, it usually means you are pretty stupid unless you are a Bruschi type of player who doesn't seem to be concerned with getting the best deal, but rather playing where he will be happy. Even Bruschi probably would get an agent if he ever actually hit free agency and had to find another team to play for.

I think this is the biggest proof the guy is a moron. He gets screwed in every one of his deals. Negotiating your own deals does not mean you are smart. In fact, it usually means you are pretty stupid unless you are a Bruschi type of player who doesn't seem to be concerned with getting the best deal, but rather playing where he will be happy. Even Bruschi probably would get an agent if he ever actually hit free agency and had to find another team to play for.

Dude, I get it. You hate Culpepper.

I have followed his career after watching him destroy college teams while playing for University of Central Florida here in Orlando. He grew up just west of here and we followed him while he was in high school as well.

I know a hell of a lot more about this guy than you do. Period.

All the things you say about him are ignorant personal opinions. Why don't you just say you don't like him and be done with it?

Maybe he'll never play for the Patriots, but there's a lot more to Culpepper than you are pretending to know about.

I'm not sure where you get your information, but the Patriots sytem seems to be whatever thier next opponents weakness is. If they can run on a team, they run, if they can pass on a team, they pass.

Culpepper is no Tom Brady. But somehow, we can take almost any intelligent player in this league and ask him to do one thing well and he will succeed at doing that here.

Your confusing the game plan with the system. Game plans are formulated based on opponents strengths and weaknesses. They flow from the playbook which is based on the system. The system is predicated on mental acumen, flexibility and agility. It's a read and react pre and post snap adjusted timing based offense. It's not a crayon drawn hey you run right and he goes deep and I'll launch it as the rush closes and one of you mofos better get it. The playbook is 200+ plus plays deep from which 20-30% of the plays are selected and practiced weekly to suit the game plan. The QB here needs to know not only his own reads and adjustments but everyone elses and react accordingly under pressure at game speed.

Culpepper isn't intelligent. He also isn't football smart. Neither are many of the posters here.

Dude, I get it. You hate Culpepper.

I have followed his career after watching him destroy college teams while playing for University of Central Florida here in Orlando. He grew up just west of here and we followed him while he was in high school as well.

I know a hell of a lot more about this guy than you do. Period.

All the things you say about him are ignorant personal opinions. Why don't you just say you don't like him and be done with it?

Maybe he'll never play for the Patriots, but there's a lot more to Culpepper than you are pretending to know about.

I don't hate Culpepper. I just think the guy is not a smart QB or an option for this team. The Pats have always touted that they win because they have the smartest players who love football. Culpepper is not the smartest player.

I obviously know more about the Patriots system them you since you don't understand the difference between a gameplan and a system. I know enough about Culpepper to know he isn't a fit. Who cares about his other attributes if he cannot read defenses which has been a knock on him forever? The Pats needs a QB who can read defenses and knows everyone's presnap adjustments. That isn't Culpepper. Ther rest about Culpepper is moot.

Culpepper on a simplier offense may turn into a stud, but not on the Pats' offense.

BTW, nothing I have said about Culpepper are ignorant personal opinions other than maybe him representing himself. You look up any scouting report on Culpepper and they will give negative reviews about his football intelligence.

Last edited:
i think Culpepper could actually do well here, he was in Miami and Oakland after his knee injury and they had putrid wide receivers and offensive lines, culpepper was running for his life with nobody to throw to.

In new england he would have a stout offensive line with some of the best WRs in the NFL, Moss/Welker. Id give him a shot.

Besides how cool would it be for Randy and Culpepper to reunite and win a SB this year?

Last edited:
Your confusing the game plan with the system. Game plans are formulated based on opponents strengths and weaknesses. They flow from the playbook which is based on the system. QUOTE]

Wow MoLewisRocks.

You can spout off football talk with the best of 'em.

Why don't you explain the Patriots system to the rest of us dumbass posters.....

Last edited:
So what is the Patriots system?

Maybe they are a 3-4 defense....except when they're not.

Maybe they are a passing offense...except when they're not.

The fact is...The Patriots are not really a team that focuses on a system.

They are whatever thier next opponent presents to them.

Which is exactly what makes them so hard to beat. WE never know what they are going to do from one game to the next.

But thanks for trying.

Your confusing the game plan with the system. Game plans are formulated based on opponents strengths and weaknesses. They flow from the playbook which is based on the system. QUOTE]

Wow MoLewisRocks.

You can spout off football talk with the best of 'em.

Why don't you explain the Patriots system to the rest of us dumbass posters.....

I try, but some of you have too much ego to grasp it...

So what is the Patriots system?

Maybe they are a 3-4 defense....except when they're not.

Maybe they are a passing offense...except when they're not.

The fact is...The Patriots are not really a team that focuses on a system.

They are whatever thier next opponent presents to them.

Which is exactly what makes them so hard to beat. WE never know what they are going to do from one game to the next.

But thanks for trying.

Have you not been reading comments from players like Welker? The offense definitely has a system. I'm stunned that you think this is even open to debate.

Okay, here's the question I have involving this-

Chris Simms and Tim Rattay were brought in for workouts. When they arrived, they were immediately taken to Pioli's office, where he told them that there had been a change in plans and that they wouldn't need to be worked.

How does that play into this, I wonder?

Have you not been reading comments from players like Welker? The offense definitely has a system. I'm stunned that you think this is even open to debate.

I'm not saying the Patriots don't have a system...I just think that they don't focus on it as much as other teams do.

Do they find players that fit into what they are tyring to do? Of course, but how many times have we heard BB say they are only trying to capatilize on what the opponent is giving them.

How many times on draft day have we've seen the Patriots draft "best player available" regardless of need. That is a prime example of the Patriots not focusing on a system. They focus on a players individual strength and not force him to be something he's not....which is widely done in a system.

I'm not saying the Patriots don't have a system...I just think that they don't focus on it as much as other teams do.

Do they find players that fit into what they are tyring to do? Of course, but how many times have we heard BB say they are only trying to capatilize on what the opponent is giving them.

How many times on draft day have we've seen the Patriots draft "best player available" regardless of need. That is a prime example of the Patriots not focusing on a system. They focus on a players individual strength and not force him to be something he's not....which is widely done in a system.

1.) Belichick has stated quite forcibly that the team does NOT draft best player available.

2.) Capitalizing on what the opponent gives you is not "system" related. It's how you capitalize on what the opponent gives you that is "system" related.

3.) As has been pointed out by both Patriots players and opponents' players, New England's offense is essentially a read and react system. The QB and the receivers read the defenses and make adjustments to routes on the fly, and they must both be on the same exact page or you're looking at a pick 6. This is very different from systems that have "run a 6 yard out" type of playcalling.

Ready to do what mg? He can't read defenses, never could and that had nothing to do with his knees. What's he gonna do, stand there like a deer in the headlights behind an OL that can't pass block consistently and launch bombs to Moss all day like Brady couldn't last February? He can't hit Welker or Faulk on those quick slants - all he'd be here is a distraction. Not to mention he's a turnover machine and that is one thing we can't afford under these circmstances.

This is a guy with so little grey matter and so much ego he handled his own rehab in a freakin' parking lot gym and mismanaged his own career off three rosters desperate for a remotely functional QB who now insists he must be being blackballed 'cause it just couldn't be that 32 GM's think he sucks in a QB starved league. He'd be nothing but a distraction here.
I was trying to think of a suitable horrified comment about the idea of Culpepper. You saved me the effort. LOL.

1.) Belichick has stated quite forcibly that the team does NOT draft best player available.
Huh ?

2.) Capitalizing on what the opponent gives you is not "system" related. It's how you capitalize on what the opponent gives you that is "system" related.
Huh ?

3.) As has been pointed out by both Patriots players and opponents' players, New England's offense is essentially a read and react system. The QB and the receivers read the defenses and make adjustments to routes on the fly, and they must both be on the same exact page or you're looking at a pick 6. This is very different from systems that have "run a 6 yard out" type of playcalling.
Uh huh. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes