PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mort saying the idea of Culpepper floated around, while Schefter says

Status
Not open for further replies.
Culpepper makes the most sense.

1. He can run an NFL offense. He has proven that.
2. He has a good deep ball.
3. Nick Saban and BB are close friends. Its no stretch to think they have spoken about
him playing for NE now that Brady is out.
4. IIRC, Cullpepper was in the Raiders camp so he should be in fairly good shape.
5. NE needs a Vet not another on the job training QB.

Gutierrez is unproven like Cassel.

3. Nick Saban and BB are close friends. Its no stretch to think they have spoken about
4. IIRC, Cullpepper was in the Raiders camp so he should be in fairly good shape.

"He can run an NFL offense" != "He can run this offense."

iam sure saban is telling BB to not make the same mistake.

So the fact that Culpepper's biggest weakness (the ability to read defenses) is something that is an absolute must to run the Pats' offense doesn't mean anything. If they cut Chad Jackson from being a #4 or #5 WR because he had trouble with the offense and making pre-snap adjustments, why would they bring in a QB who is going to have the same problem.

Also, a few things.

1.) Culpepper was not in the Raiders' camp this year. He has been a free agent the entire offseason.
2.) Nick Saban's biggest mistake of his tenure in Miami was going with Culpepper over Drew Brees. Saban benched Culpepper during the season. I am guessing Saban will not speak highly of Culpepper.
3.) In the last two years, Culpepper has been given multiple opportunities to run NFL offenses and failed miserably. Besides, THIS offense is far more complex than most NFL offenses.

Last edited:

Culpepper's last 3 QB ratings (all for shortened seasons, it should be noted) have been 72, 77 and 78, for 3 different teams. In 5 of his 8 seasons, his rating has been under 84. I'm not at all convinced this supports the notion that he can run an NFL offense, at least to Belioli's satisfaction.

Note: I'm not counting 1999, his 0 pass, 3 rush season

Cassel has played significant time in two NFL games, nearly bring us back from a three-score deficit in the first and winning the second.

Gutierrez is unproven, but that is better than having been proven, if the proven part is proven to be as bad as Culpepper has been since his long-ago last good season.

Moss made Culpepper and he made Pennington.

do i really need to bring up the tom brady story?

just because he hasn't started before, doesn't mean he isnt worth believing in now.

Brady at least had significant playing time in college. The argument people make for Cassel is that he had the misfortune of playing at USC behind Palmer and Leinart. Is Leinart doing anything now? No. Matt Cassel is not Tom Brady. Don't kid yourselves. He hasn't proven himself worth a start since Bill Clinton was President.

Am I saying Culpepper is an ideal choice? Of course not. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a qb with his physical skills on this team. You want to say Minnesota's offense wasn't as complex, fine. But in this offense you need someone who can get the ball down the field occasionally to Moss and make explosive plays. That pass Cassel threw out of the endzone looked like a Pennington duck. Culpepper has demonstrated the necessary skills in the past. He's gotten to the playoffs. Even if it was simple, it was effective. He's had time to heal up now and our team offers better offensive weapons than the Raiders during his time there, when Moss was taking every other play off.

Gutierrez couldn't beat Cassel out for a spot on the roster after Cassel's spotty play this preseason, and for all the argument in support of Cassel's experience/grasp of the offensive system here, Gutierrez has less than a year and a half experience with it. I'd much rather have an NFL vet with the physical potential of Culpepper than Gutierrez, IMHO.

Brady at least had significant playing time in college. The argument people make for Cassel is that he had the misfortune of playing at USC behind Palmer and Leinart. Is Leinart doing anything now? No. Matt Cassel is not Tom Brady. Don't kid yourselves. He hasn't proven himself worth a start since Bill Clinton was President.

Am I saying Culpepper is an ideal choice? Of course not. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a qb with his physical skills on this team. You want to say Minnesota's offense wasn't as complex, fine. But in this offense you need someone who can get the ball down the field occasionally to Moss and make explosive plays. That pass Cassel threw out of the endzone looked like a Pennington duck. Culpepper has demonstrated the necessary skills in the past. He's gotten to the playoffs. Even if it was simple, it was effective. He's had time to heal up now and our team offers better offensive weapons than the Raiders during his time there, when Moss was taking every other play off.

Gutierrez couldn't beat Cassel out for a spot on the roster after Cassel's spotty play this preseason, and for all the argument in support of Cassel's experience/grasp of the offensive system here, Gutierrez has less than a year and a half experience with it. I'd much rather have an NFL vet with the physical potential of Culpepper than Gutierrez, IMHO.

So are you willing to have Culpepper to turn over the ball 3-4 times a game so he can get one or two passes down the field for Moss? Culpepper in this offense would be a turnover machine because he will not be on the same page as his receivers A LOT.

Cassel has played significant time in two NFL games, nearly bring us back from a three-score deficit in the first and winning the second.
Word!

Same thing that happened when Brady intermittently SUCKED in 2001 - you go back to practice and correct the mistakes and get ready for the next opponent...

We were 0-2 when Brady took over and 5-5 coming off a loss to the Rams when he was named the starter for the remainder of the season even with a healthy Beldsoe on the roster and cleared to play...

Exactly right.......if he improves every week and takes us on a late run to the playoffs, anything can happen.

Do not expect miracles, do expect a learning curve. If he sucks this week, it sure wont be all his fault.

Relatively easy schedule helps.

Upside...maybe we catch lightening in a bottle again.

It is what it is.

I think what people are missing is Culppeper came back from an injury to soon and he was also put on a lousy team. This was a recipe for disaster. His lack of mobility caused a lot of his problems. At his age he is still young and perhaps that injury is better now. He has shown in the right situation he can be a big time quarterback. He is the only one out there who can say that.

I say it is worth a fly. Cassell sucks and I think we a re all being a little to optimistic about him.

I think what people are missing is Culppeper came back from an injury to soon and he was also put on a lousy team. This was a recipe for disaster. His lack of mobility caused a lot of his problems. At his age he is still young and perhaps that injury is better now. He has shown in the right situation he can be a big time quarterback. He is the only one out there who can say that.

I say it is worth a fly. Cassell sucks and I think we a re all being a little to optimistic about him.

Ok.......

What do you base your "Cassell sucks" comment upon?

how could you not consider culpepper. the guy had a pretty decent track record prior to injuring his knee. I mean, with all due respect to Matt Cassel, you're telling me you wouldnt feel more comfortable with Culpepper?

how could you not consider culpepper. the guy had a pretty decent track record prior to injuring his knee. I mean, with all due respect to Matt Cassel, you're telling me you wouldnt feel more comfortable with Culpepper?

32 Teams are passing on Culpepper right now. The media and the fans love to overlook such things, but they still exist.

I thought he sucked before the knee injury, he's done nothing to change my thoughts since he came back.

Say you were starting a team and you had an offense that required the QB to scramble around and make plays with his feet (assuming you cannot or will not change the offense) and you had your choice of any QB in the league, would you take either Brady or Manning? To run around and make plays with their feet? But they are the two best QBs in the league, why can't they run around and illude tackles. If they can stand in the pocket and make smart decisions and quick passes, they certainly can outrun speedy DEs and LBs.

My point is that Culpepper cannot fit into the Pats' offensive system. He doesn't have the skill set. They cannot revise their offense to fit Culpepper's strengths.

And in the Pats' offense, I would certainly want Cassel over Culpepper. Culpepper would easily throw 3-4 INTs a game in this offense because he would constantly throw to areas where no receiver will be.

I mean, with all due respect to Matt Cassel, you're telling me you wouldnt feel more comfortable with Culpepper?

Nope. Culpepper hasn't been groomed for this moment for four years. Maybe I'll feel differently after Sunday, we'll see. But for now, the starting spot is for Cassel to lose.

Go Cassel!

Last edited:
If I had my choice of Simms, Rattay, Guitierez or Culpepper............

I would take Culpepper everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

How quickly people forget that this guy was once a defensive coordinators worst nightmare.

Cannon arm, Strongest QB physically in the history of the NFL. Played with Moss for several seasons.....Had a tough couple of years and everyone wanted to bail on him.......Sounds like Randy Moss's story before he came to New England.

So are you willing to have Culpepper to turn over the ball 3-4 times a game so he can get one or two passes down the field for Moss? Culpepper in this offense would be a turnover machine because he will not be on the same page as his receivers A LOT.

Are you willing to have Cassel turn it over as many times and/or go three-and-out six or seven times a game? Because that seems to be what Cassel usually does in this offense.

My point is that Culpepper cannot fit into the Pats' offensive system. He doesn't have the skill set. They cannot revise their offense to fit Culpepper's strength.
And in the Pats' offense, I would certainly want Cassel over Culpepper. Culpepper would easily throw 3-4 INTs a game in this offense because he would constantly throw to areas where no receiver will be.

I'm not sure where you get your information, but the Patriots sytem seems to be whatever thier next opponents weakness is. If they can run on a team, they run, if they can pass on a team, they pass.

Culpepper is no Tom Brady. But somehow, we can take almost any intelligent player in this league and ask him to do one thing well and he will succeed at doing that here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back