PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mort: Pats wanted Boldin, but only on 1-year deal like Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm disappointed we didn't get Boldin, but the Vince signing helps balance that out. Boldin is a fantastic WR and I would have loved to see him catching balls from Brady.

The only thing more disappointing then signing Boldin though would be if Branch came back for anything other then minimum salary. Branch is washed up. If you think Boldin was often injured or washed up, imagine someone with 1/2 the talent and 1/2 the heart with 2x the injuries. That's Branch. Ugh.

The Pats just need to keep signing their stars. Very pleased to hear Wilfork, TBC and Neal are locked up. Now I'd like to see a 2-3 year extension for Moss, a 5+ year deal for Gostkowski and then extend Brady for 7-8 years. Don't listen to the fools who believe Brady only has 2-3 years left. They're HOPING Brady retires so their team has a shot.

Outstanding day 1 of FA...Go Pats!

My gut tells me that the team will treat Moss one year at a time....

Brady has 4-5 solid years left. 7-8 is a stretch IMO....

Moss for 2-3 more years?

Wow, can't wait to see Moss as a 36-year old WR...

You know what, the guy is an athletic freak. There's never been anyone llike him. He just may be great at 36-38. I bet he will be.

You know what, the guy is an athletic freak. There's never been anyone llike him. He just may be great at 36-38. I bet he will be.

He also had a back/shoulder problem this past season and looked to have lost a step. Those things are more or less permanent.

He also had a back/shoulder problem this past season and looked to have lost a step. Those things are more or less permanent.

Sure. I'm not saying he'll be Randy Moss of 2000, but I think he could still be a top-5 or -10 WR even at that age.

Sure. I'm not saying he'll be Randy Moss of 2000, but I think he could still be a top-5 or -10 WR even at that age.

I'm not sure he's a Top 10 wide receiver at this point. Top 20, yes, but there were WRs who were more effective and valuable in 2009. Moss was a Top 5 WR for the fist eight weeks of 2007. After that, I'm not so sure. That was 2 1/2 years ago.

Last edited:
I'm not sure he's a Top 10 wide receiver at this point. Top 20, yes, but there were WRs who were more effective and valuable in 2009. Moss was a Top 5 WR for the fist eight weeks of 2007. After that, I'm not so sure. That was 2 1/2 years ago.

I think he's easily top 10 and probably top 5-7. Ask Wes how valuable he is.

First eight weeks of 2007 he was top-1... ever. I'm not going to nhold him to that forever.

This is subjective to me. If you don't like him as much, that's OK. :)

All I want to know is what Hark thinks. He's the man.

I don't know how this is difficult to explain to some people? Boldin would of been great for a year 2 years tops, with the pounding he takes even the strongest of strong break down. The Patriots wanted to give him a chance to catch passes from t brady and to help build something special. The ravens gambled he'd perform out the contract. The pats didn't think so, If we bring in a TO or Randle EL or trade for Branch nobody is gonna care about Boldin. We just need a capable number 2 now whether that's in the draft, or a vet already, or a huge step up from Tate. We will find that person. In the draft I wanna focus on Linebackers, Bring back Lekevin or go after dwan and focus on linebacker, runningback in draft.

I agree with most of what you are saying, except for the bolded. Randle EL and Branch aren't even in the same league as Boldin, and who really wants TO other than a team that is so desperate they're willing to take on perhaps the biggest headcase in recent NFL history? I think we'll be hearing Bolden's name quite a lot if any of these guys is brought inl

I agree that we can still pick someone up as an adequate #2/3 for next year, but giving up the picks the Ravens did for a guy like Boldin is plain robbery. It appears we had a chance to hit one out of the park with Boldin but chose instead to be conservative. Problem is, a chance like that doesn't come around that often.

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but shouldn't you find out the facts first? The Ravens traded their 2010 3rd and 4th round picks to the Cardinals for Boldin and a 2010 5th round pick. The Patriots would not have been giving up 3 picks to get Boldin. Given the terms of the Ravens deal, it is likely that the Patriots would have traded a 2010 2nd for Boldin and a 2010 3rd or 2010 4th. The terms of Boldin's new contract are readily available (I actually posted them earlier in this thread): Boldin signed a 3 year 25 million dollar extension, which means his contract for the next 4 years totals 28 million dollars (10 million in guarantees).

Why dont you check your facts first, the Patriots dont have a 3rd round pick this year. They traded it away for Burgess last year. They price for Boldin would have probably been a 2nd and a 4th in this years draft. Think about the Patriots and their needs this off season, they have more needs than any year that I can remember. If they give up 2 picks this year that takes away from getting potential players to address needs. Then you know money was an issue and Boldin wasnt going to go to a team that wasnt going to restructure his contract. We already have a very high paid WR in Moss and then factor Boldin into the mix you are looking at spending close to $20 million a year just on 2 players at one position. That is way too much. Yes, I really wanted Boldin here but when you look at all the things that needed to go in to getting him, it all added up to being too much.

Why dont you check your facts first, the Patriots dont have a 3rd round pick this year. They traded it away for Burgess last year. They price for Boldin would have probably been a 2nd and a 4th in this years draft. Think about the Patriots and their needs this off season, they have more needs than any year that I can remember. If they give up 2 picks this year that takes away from getting potential players to address needs. Then you know money was an issue and Boldin wasnt going to go to a team that wasnt going to restructure his contract. We already have a very high paid WR in Moss and then factor Boldin into the mix you are looking at spending close to $20 million a year just on 2 players at one position. That is way too much. Yes, I really wanted Boldin here but when you look at all the things that needed to go in to getting him, it all added up to being too much.

So the Pats would have had to give much more than the Ravens to trade for Boldin? The Ravens gave up a 3rd and a 4th for Boldin and a 5th, but the Pats would have had to give up a 2nd and 4th for just Boldin? Is this some kind of special troll math?

As for needs, the Pats had just as many needs in the 2003 offseason as this season. All of their older players who helped to win the Super Bowl in 2001 fell apart in 2002. The Pats added the following immediate starters during the offseason to help win the Super Bowl that year - Rodney Harrison, Tyrone Poole, Eugen Wilson, Ted Washington, and Dan Koppen. They also added valued role players like Asante Samuel (who played pretty good nickleback), Bethel Johnson (great kick returner and decent fourth WR that year), Larry Centers, Mike Cloud (at least for a few games), Ty Warren (started down the stretch), and Don Davis (a good special teamer). Also, the rookies from the 2002 season who went from role players to starters in 2003 were Deion Branch, David Givens, Dan Graham, and Tom Ashworth.

I think that was a huge turnover of the roster from one year to the next and it resulted in a Super Bowl. Why can't the Pats do that again? It isn't a guarantee, but the 2003 roster looked very different than the 2002 roster with great results.

Last edited:
I apologize in advance for this but after reading this post first thought that came to mind was 'sheep'. The Pats FO loves you that's for sure. Your understanding of what we had to give up is way off but that was addressed in the previous post so I will let that go. Here is the truth in simplified terms.

I am just a lowly fan and I know that Boldin's gripe in AZ has been a new contract. So if that is what he was looking for what made our FO think he would accept a one year deal? Especially when you know other teams would offer more then one year. I mean come on. That's like trying but not really. If we wanted him we had to know it had to be more then a one year deal. So in the end our FO gave the illusion that we tried.

We had a chance here to be formidable and have someone that we can pair up with Welker next year when Moss decides to leave. Baltimore signed Boldin for what I thought was something we could've offered. It was a straight forward situation with Boldin and we in this case were D**ing around. That's not what you do if you want a guy of that caliber to join you. You want to kick the tires thats one thing but for any of us to say that they tried? They did not try. Attempt in futility really and I'd even take is afar as arrogance.

Love the pats and am happy they are starting to take care of their own but their attempts in this case were weak at best.

P.S. Same exact thing with Pepper we told him to get back to us if none of those rich contracts didn't work out. I mean really?

It seems like you are one of those fans that just see the big names and want the Pats to jump all over them and sign them. Signing the big names doesnt always guarantee success. Look at the Redskins for example they are always the leaders in FA and that hasnt got them much.

Would you have wanted the Patriots to spend $100 million on one player, who has questions surrounding his attitude and effort. The Patriots resigned TBC, their sack leader last year and then still have the chance to add another FA or address this need through the draft.

As for Boldin, it came down to he wanted to much. Giving up 2 or 3 draft picks and then reconstructing his deal was too much for the Patriots and I agree with that. They have a lot of needs that they really shouldnt be messing around with multiple draft picks and then for the money they cant be reconstructing his deal and spending close to $20 million on 2 players at one position. Like I said about Peppers there are still plenty of FAs to be signed.

As a whole its only day 1 of FA, just because the Patriots didnt get the big names doesnt mean that you need to panic and call them cheap. There are still plenty of quality FAs available and I am sure the Pats will make more moves. It wasnt like they didnt make any moves yesterday, they resigned their own guys which IMO should be taken care of first. Just be patient and dont criticize the Pats FO after day 1 of FA when the season doesnt start until September and it is only March 6th. Their roster is far from complete.

It seems like you are one of those fans that just see the big names and want the Pats to jump all over them and sign them. Signing the big names doesnt always guarantee success. Look at the Redskins for example they are always the leaders in FA and that hasnt got them much.

Would you have wanted the Patriots to spend $100 million on one player, who has questions surrounding his attitude and effort. The Patriots resigned TBC, their sack leader last year and then still have the chance to add another FA or address this need through the draft.

As for Boldin, it came down to he wanted to much. Giving up 2 or 3 draft picks and then reconstructing his deal was too much for the Patriots and I agree with that. They have a lot of needs that they really shouldnt be messing around with multiple draft picks and then for the money they cant be reconstructing his deal and spending close to $20 million on 2 players at one position. Like I said about Peppers there are still plenty of FAs to be signed.

As a whole its only day 1 of FA, just because the Patriots didnt get the big names doesnt mean that you need to panic and call them cheap. There are still plenty of quality FAs available and I am sure the Pats will make more moves. It wasnt like they didnt make any moves yesterday, they resigned their own guys which IMO should be taken care of first. Just be patient and dont criticize the Pats FO after day 1 of FA when the season doesnt start until September and it is only March 6th. Their roster is far from complete.

What he got from the Ravens and what they give up , was not much... The Pats could have done it... I know the Pats like Mason, but he will be a stop gap, and will be back to the drawing board next year... a guy like Bolden and we would be set at WR for a few years along with a draft pick.

So the Pats would have had to give much more than the Ravens to trade for Boldin? The Ravens gave up a 3rd and a 4th for Boldin and a 5th, but the Pats would have had to give up a 2nd and 4th for just Boldin? Is this some kind of special troll math?

The Pats dont have a 3rd or a 5th round pick in this years draft and they have 3 2nds, dont you think the Cardinals would have seen this and asked for one of their 2nds? What do you think the Patriots would have been asked to give up? A 4th and a 6th? Then the Ravens gave up much more to get him. Look at the whole situation before jumping to conclusions.

What he got from the Ravens and what they give up , was not much... The Pats could have done it... I know the Pats like Mason, but he will be a stop gap, and will be back to the drawing board next year... a guy like Bolden and we would be set at WR for a few years along with a draft pick.

Mason would be a stopgap. We would need to take a WR high in the draft.

It wasnt that much for the Ravens, but for the Patriots it was. The Pats dont have a 3rd or a 5th round pick, so obviously they would have to be touching one of their 3 2nds and probably their 4th. Then money, the Ravens dont have any big names at WR that they are already paying, so they can afford to throw the money at Boldin, the Pats have Moss and cant be spending close to $20 million at one position especially when WR isnt their only need this off season.

Would we? Boldin is hitting 30 and has chronic hamstring problems. No guarantee he has more than a few years left in him especially the way he plays.Personally, I don't know if I would have looked at Boldin as a long term solution even if the Pats traded for him. He has a lot of risks in a long term deal.

Personally, if I am looking long term, I would rather give up a first and third for Vincent Jackson because he could be an elite WR with Brady for 5-6 years while I think Boldin's shelf-life might be two years.

The Pats dont have a 3rd or a 5th round pick in this years draft and they have 3 2nds, dont you think the Cardinals would have seen this and asked for one of their 2nds? What do you think the Patriots would have been asked to give up? A 4th and a 6th? Then the Ravens gave up much more to get him. Look at the whole situation before jumping to conclusions.

If the Pats would have had to give up a 2nd for Boldin, they wouldn't have had to give up a 4th too plus not get anything in return as youstated originally. Now you are changing the argument.

As for Pats giving up a 2nd in 2010, that isn't neccessarily the case. They could have given them a conditional 2nd in 2011 or something like that.

If the Ravens gave up a 3rd and 4th for Boldin and a 5th, the Pats probably could have traded a secnd for Boldin and third or fourth round pick. You had the Pats giving up a secnd and a fourth for Bolding straight up.

From what I have read, it is a 3yr/$25m extension. Ultimately this equates to a 4yr/$28 million dollar contract with the Ravens when you factor in the final year on his current contract w/ AZ. $10 million is guaranteed.

He was scheduled to make $3m in 2010.

Cardinals' focus now shifts to Boldin

My assumption is he is now making $13m in 2010.

Based on that, the remaining deal is 3yrs/$18m w/ a $6m annual average. Wish I knew the contract details. Can't find 'em...
Yeah I see on Schefter's twitter acct...
Anquan Boldin lands three-year, $25 million extension, leaving him with four years and $28 million left. New deal includes $10 million gtd.
Which I guess isn't outrageous considering some contracts this weekend but the Patriots just were willing to commit that much money...I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Last edited:

Cousin, This is a simple equation.
0ur #53 for Boldin and their third rounder #89. In the stupid NFL Draft Trade Value Chart, our #53 is worth 370 pts. Their #89 is worth 145pts. If you do the math on the points difference, it is 225pts. That is a Trade value of 225pts. or the equivalent to a third round pick of #75. Problem solved.

We could have then used that third rounder #89 as RFA value for third round tendered players Chris Gocong or Kirk Morrison.

Our deal with the third round pick equivalent of #75 would have beaten the Ravens of #88. In fact they threw in a forth rounder. I believe that is pick #121, pending comp picks, with a Trade Chart value of 52 pts. The difference in Trade Chart Value between #75 and #88 in the third round is 65 pts. (even a bigger spread when you consider comp picks)Thus why give up our forth? We would not have had to.

If we weren't so sackless to take a flyer on Boldin for four years at relatively short dollars and only a $10m guarantee (that is like 2 years for $5m and then, let him go numbers), the above was the possibility. Two decent NFL ready players to fill needed roster spots and we still have three picks in the top fifty. Yet we sign Patten for almost a million and we give Neal who will miss as many games this year as Boldin (write this down) a new deal of $2.5m or $3m in 2010.

You tell me. Did the FO get taken by Ozzie or not? Good for Ozzie. He stole Boldin. The Ravens just got better. The Patriots.....resigned three guys they should have resigned months ago. The same three that left the field after being humiliated in a Championship game in their own stadium by these same Ravens.

At the end of the day we keep #22, #45, #47 and get Boldin and Gocong or Kirk Morrison. The Pats F.O. "DID...NOT...DO...THEIR...JOB".

Infuriating. Do not give me "in BB we trust" on this stinker. He got the hell beat out of him on this deal. We are all human and this is a wiff on BB's part. Just not used to seeing such big gaffs.

Bill, time to get a seasoned personnel man to help you even if you don't give him a "title".

DW Toys

Last edited:
Cousin, This is a simple equation.
0ur #53 for Boldin and their third rounder #89. In the stupid NFL Draft Trade Value Chart, our #53 is worth 370 pts. Their #89 is worth 145pts. If you do the math on the points difference, it is 225pts. That is a Trade value of 225pts. or the equivalent to a third round pick of #75. Problem solved.

We could have then used that third rounder #89 as RFA value for third round tendered players Chris Gocong or Kirk Morrison.

Our deal with the third round pick equivalent of #75 would have beaten the Ravens of #88. In fact they threw in a forth rounder. I believe that is pick #121, pending comp picks, with a Trade Chart value of 52 pts. The difference in Trade Chart Value between #75 and #88 in the third round is 65 pts. (even a bigger spread when you consider comp picks)Thus why give up our forth? We would not have had to.

If we weren't so sackless to take a flyer on Boldin for four years at relatively short dollars and only a $10m guarantee (that is like 2 years for $5m and then, let him go numbers), the above was the possibility. Two decent NFL ready players to fill needed roster spots and we still have three picks in the top fifty. Yet we sign Patten for almost a million and we give Neal who will miss as many games this year as Boldin (write this down) a new deal of $2.5m or $3m in 2010.

You tell me. Did the FO get taken by Ozzie or not? Good for Ozzie. He stole Boldin. The Ravens just got better. The Patriots.....resigned three guys they should have resigned months ago. The same three that left the field after being humiliated in a Championship game in their own stadium by these same Ravens.

At the end of the day we keep #22, #45, #47 and get Boldin and Gocong or Kirk Morrison. The Pats F.O. "DID...NOT...DO...THEIR...JOB".

Infuriating. Do not give me "in BB we trust" on this stinker. He got the hell beat out of him on this deal. We are all human and this is a wiff on BB's part. Just not used to seeing such big gaffs.

Bill, time to get a seasoned personnel man to help you even if you don't give him a "title".

DW Toys

But..But wait. According to the vast experts on this site we should be great, BB knows all!

I can't believe we did not get Boldin for what Batlimore signed him for. This man is a proven friggin product and we just let him go to one of our competitor's for very little. Awesome, this FA period just gets better by the day. It's awesome we've re-signed our own during FA, we look exactly like the same team next year.

*waits for the homers to come in and explain how the draft will save all and every rookie will make it, be a super star and lead us to glory*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back