PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mort: Pats wanted Boldin, but only on 1-year deal like Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relax, man. Its March 5th, the season doesnt begin tomorrow. Just because the Patriots didnt get Boldin doesnt mean that our WRs are going to suck and it doesnt mean that we dont have a chance to better our team this off season.

There are still plenty of our quality WRs that are still available. Boldin wasnt the only one. You are one of those fans that are very impatient and see other teams spending wildly and just because the Patriots arent does not mean that they wont improve their team. It is clear that the Patriots know that they have some holes to fill, they made attempts to get Peppers and Boldin, but stayed within reason.

Just relax, the Patriots will be making some other signings and will be improving their team. I do hope that they dont settle for veterans that are taking pay cuts to end their careers here and I hope we go for guys that are in or just entering their primes but I am not going to sit here on March 5th and completely tear the Pats FO apart because they didnt go broke to get one player.

I appreciate what you say and thanks for the be calm part. It is that Boldin was the perfect fit. Not Dansby or Peppers etc.
DW Toys

The Colts? I was there in the stands for the November 2005 embarassment. I saw the November 2006 home embarassment. I saw the 2006 AFC Championship game. I saw the 2008 loss when Gaffney dropped that ball and Thomas had that penalty. I saw the 2009 loss when, well, you know.

I've seen the November 2006 loss to the Jets in the muck. I saw the 2009 loss in Week 2. I saw Phillip Rivers tear through the Pats' laughable secondary in 2008. I saw the Ravens run all over the Patriots two months ago.

Haven't you had enough of that?

Pats 1 is on fire.. and I like it.... :rocker:

Look, the bottom line is that no smart GM would possibly just allow his team to go into the season with guys like Guyton, McGowan, Butler, Wilhite, Brace, et al and just expect them to get better or contribute more or be better leaders. The smart GM would go out through the draft, trades, or free agency and find dependable players to fill those holes, and then if the said rookie develops or shows more promise, then you have a surplus of talent, which is a good thing. But just throwing out sophomores and expecting them to get significantly better when you're trying to win a Super Bowl every year is a recipe for disaster. That's what the Chiefs might do, but not the Pats.

You can only expect to get throttled (again?) by the Ravens, Colts, Jets, and Chargers if you try that route.

How Belichick has the patience to deal with this fan base is beyond me. The arrogance in this post is just overwhelming.

Pats1 - "The Smart GM" of Madden 10

Yeah, let's all be negative.

I think it sucks. This place has become a joke.

We're dooommmeeed. Boston sport mentality. Gotta sign a big name to keep up with the Yankees. :D

Has any team ever signed one of the top 5 free agents then gone on to the SB?
I dont know the answer, but eery year it amazes me that we see teams fail by trying to build with high cost free agents and every year we see fans on this board complain that we don't follow that failed plan.

Want to see a Team that just won the SB with mostly trades and FAs for most of their top players? Saints.

Our 07 Team wasn't bad either!

Take that!

DW Toys

Make all of you a deal if I could. I will trade every one of our Draft choices for NFL ready players and I will beat you every time for at least two years, no question. I am not talking about a fleet of David Pattens but some Boldins, some Brandon Marshalls, some Kampmans, some Kirk Morrisons, some Greg Olsens, some Julius Peppers and some Karlos Dansbys. Anybody doubt this?
I am getting tired of listening to the Draft and the 18% of the 8 players we are going to get who will play well to a higher level and we have 14 holes. Maybe Cesario and BB are on vacation?

Summary:
Give me 8 proven NFL players of various price ranges (i.e. Free Agents or trades) and I will beat your 8 2010 NFL Draft picks from the Pats choices, no question!!

It drives me nuts when some on this forum bless the Patriots for re-signing players they should have signed months ago that make this team....the same as in 2009. When I heard there was a press conference on the signing of TBC yesterday I had to laugh. What??? I walked my dog yesterday...where were the cameras and microphones?

I don't dislike the Draft. It trickles in new blood. It's not a complete transfusion! It will be far from saving a Team that has so many holes and not as much talent perhaps in the last ten years here. 14th in talent is about right as projected. I hope Kraft reads this junk.

This has nothing to do with most of the signings yesterday other than Boldin who Ozzie nailed BB and Cesario on no question. It's the lack of urgency to at least set up more visits than Josh Reed or sign David Patten.

You that are saying some of us are doom and gloomers remind me of Kevin Bacon in Animal House in the finale shouting...."All is well!!!....All is Well!!!" Meanwhile Rex is playing Belushi's part as the portly pirate that gets the sexy babe in the end.

Also if Bodden walks how much genius was in that? That should have been done the second the season was over.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Make all of you a deal if I could. I will trade every one of our Draft choices for NFL ready players and I will beat you every time for at least two years, no question. I am not talking about a fleet of David Pattens but some Boldins, some Brandon Marshalls, some Kampmans, some Kirk Morrisons, some Greg Olsens, some Julius Peppers and some Karlos Dansbys. Anybody doubt this?

So you want to abolish the salary cap and become the yankees?

Summary:
Give me 8 proven NFL players of various price ranges (i.e. Free Agents or trades) and I will beat your 8 2010 NFL Draft picks from the Pats choices, no question!!

Summary:
Give me BB over DW Toys and I'll beat you every single game of every single season for eternity.

So you want to abolish the salary cap and become the yankees?

Summary:
Give me BB over DW Toys and I'll beat you every single game of every single season for eternity.

Salary Cap? What Salary Cap? Do you have some news I don't? et tu Brutus!

I will take your challenge. Can you set it up? I can put my Draft choices on little cards and put them in a fish bowl and pick them out with a blind fold on and feel pretty good about doing as good as ours from 2006 on. I can do pretty good on that part of the test. I pray I might get an equal shot in eternity as well.
Anybody else feel that way?
DW Toys

To date I think they've done a very good job of assembling the bottom part of the roster. I was very happy with the extensions given to Ninkovich, Aiken, LeVoir, Kaczur, Alexander, and Connolly.

The problem is, they've yet to replace some of the talent at the top of the roster that they've lost over the past few seasons. That's just as important when building a 53-man roster.

This is where I disagree. We lack nothing at the top of the roster, compared to any team. We've been more top heavy since 2007 than we ever were before. It was a process. I have reviewed the history and I am certain that the following occured:
1) As of 03-04 it was impossible to retain the talent level on the team as contract matured. We couldn't afford to keep everyone (we probably would have needed 50-75% more cap to do that) and the ones that left exited cap slots that were nowhere near enough to replace them with equal talent.
2) Given the inability to continue to stock the roster in the same manner (that overperforming middle class is exactly what changed, look at cap numbers for players 18-30 in 2004 and 2009) BB decided (or it evolved decision by decision) to overcome the holes with more areas of greatness (see best O in history in 2007) and what suffered was that middle class. I think the bottom of the roster is simply a function of coaching up young players and good evaluation of on the cusp guys not a personnell strategy.
3) We 'evolved' from a team thats strength was in having no weaknesses, no liabilities to be picked on, to a team that was top heavy, with more inadequecies, holes, and liabilities. It showed up in the 06 and 07 playoffs, it showed up in 08 without Brady, and it made its statement in 09. We have continued to beat up average and bad teams, and we have continued to lose to teams who can match up their best strength against our liablity.

IMO, we don't need big name players, we don't need 'stars'. We need to eliminate the liabilities.
The liabilities I see are:
OFFENSE
-OL can be in rare cases a liability against a top front 7. Vollmer will help overcome that, a backup/replacement for Neal is a possible need.
-WR? With Moss and Welker, not to mention Edelman, I think its crazy to call this spot anything but excellent, as good as any team. Due to Welker's injury, a 2/3 guy to come in shores up the hole. We don't need 3 all-pro WRs, we just need a reliable fill in if Welker starts late or slow.
-RB? I'm fine with what we have, assuming they come back. Not a greatness but far from a liability.
-TE? Clearly a hole, but we can fill it so many ways, I'm not concerned. Grab some versatile guys who can contribute in the blocking game first and passing game 2 nd and thats enough, any more is gravy.
DEFENSE
-DL? Warren-Wilfork-Wright is fine. We need depth. No huge moves needed.
-ILB? Not a liability, especially assuming McKenzie comes along. Could use vet jag.
OLB? This is the biggest liability. In 06-07 when we were in tight games, QBs found the secondary weakness, that we were SLOW and couldnt cover man to man (Harrison and Gay were tooled in the SB loss, for example) In 2009 we improved this area, but the lack of pass rush made it hard to realize. In 06-08 we couldn't cover for very long (some guys) then in 09 we could cover longer, but had to cover much longer. TBC is effective, as the 2nd or 3rd OLB. We must address this. I don't care that we didn't get Peppers. We don't need a Ware or Freeney who grabs headlines with one-dimensional play, we need SOLID all around OLBs who can play the run and rush the QB, and at least one of which can cover. TBC is the closest we have to that on the roster....I cold live with him as the 2nd best, but 3rd best would make me happier.
CB- If we keep Bodden, I think we are fine here, assuming we probably add another jag and a draft choice. I expect Butler to start and be very good this season. Wilhite, Springs, Wheatley, a jag and a rookie are fine by me to fight out the depth.
S- We are fine here IMO. Solid, deep and young.

My Goals for the offseason
1) Fix the OLB position, make it solid, don't worry about big names 15 sck guys, get all-around players.
2) Starting corner, Bodden would be fine.
3) 2/3 type WR
4) Solid vet players at C/G, DE, CB(Springs if he stays)
5) Get some TEs
6) UPGRADE DEPTH WHEREEVER POSSIBLE
7) Draft value

The last statement is full of fail. The absolute biggest problem that our offense had last season was the fact that it would get shut down once Moss and Welker were both shadowed by two guys each. This was because of the lack of a viable third threat. Putting Boldin in there would have surely gotten this team a couple of more wins.

The information we have states that it was the cost of Boldin that kept the Pats away. The cost was no prohibitive. The Pats could have afforded that contract rather easily.

Easily afforded at what cost? I will gladly have a jag fighting out with Edelmen for 3rd/4th and the money that would have spent on Boldin going to an OLB or CB than the other way around.

Salary Cap? What Salary Cap? Do you have some news I don't? et tu Brutus!

You realize that it is for one season only right? You realize that NOTHING changes for future years and any contract will count against the future caps? You realize that Peppers and Boldin's contracts are not 1-year contracts and have high cap hits for each year after 2010 as well right?

I will take your challenge. Can you set it up?

What friggin challenge?

I can put my Draft choices on little cards and put them in a fish bowl and pick them out with a blind fold on and feel pretty good about doing as good as ours from 2006 on. I can do pretty good on that part of the test. I pray I might get an equal shot in eternity as well.
Anybody else feel that way?
DW Toys

What the hell are you talking about? Put the bottle down

You realize that it is for one season only right? You realize that NOTHING changes for future years and any contract will count against the future caps? You realize that Peppers and Boldin's contracts are not 1-year contracts and have high cap hits for each year after 2010 as well right?

What friggin challenge?

What the hell are you talking about? Put the bottle down

You just don't get it Cousin.
DW Toys

The Colts? I was there in the stands for the November 2005 embarassment. I saw the November 2006 home embarassment. I saw the 2006 AFC Championship game. I saw the 2008 loss when Gaffney dropped that ball and Thomas had that penalty. I saw the 2009 loss when, well, you know.

I've seen the November 2006 loss to the Jets in the muck. I saw the 2009 loss in Week 2. I saw Phillip Rivers tear through the Pats' laughable secondary in 2008. I saw the Ravens run all over the Patriots two months ago.

Haven't you had enough of that?

I don't think you know what throttling means.

have I had enough of losing games?
yeah, I'd rather they didn't ever lose another game, but I don't expect that to happen, so I'm not going to cry when they do.
if you have to go back 4 years to find a loss to cry about, I think that's indicative of the team doing a pretty good job.

were you there when the pats throttled the jets?
can you explain how boldin will stop the ravens from running all over the pats?

Want to see a Team that just won the SB with mostly trades and FAs for most of their top players? Saints.

Take that!

:confused:

Take that!

DW Toys

I am getting tired of listening to the Draft and the 18% of the 8 players we are going to get who will play well to a higher level and we have 14 holes. Maybe Cesario and BB are on vacation?

Summary:

It drives me nuts when some on this forum bless the Patriots for re-signing players they should have signed months ago that make this team....the same as in 2009. When I heard there was a press conference on the signing of TBC yesterday I had to laugh. What??? I walked my dog yesterday...where were the cameras and microphones?

I don't dislike the Draft. It trickles in new blood. It's not a complete transfusion! It will be far from saving a Team that has so many holes and not as much talent perhaps in the last ten years here. 14th in talent is about right as projected. I hope Kraft reads this junk.

This has nothing to do with most of the signings yesterday other than Boldin who Ozzie nailed BB and Cesario on no question. It's the lack of urgency to at least set up more visits than Josh Reed or sign David Patten.

You that are saying some of us are doom and gloomers remind me of Kevin Bacon in Animal House in the finale shouting...."All is well!!!....All is Well!!!" Meanwhile Rex is playing Belushi's part as the portly pirate that gets the sexy babe in the end.

Also if Bodden walks how much genius was in that? That should have been done the second the season was over.
DW Toys
Nice job of avoiding the point. Show me the top 5 FAs the Saints signed last year.
You answered the question of show me a team that won a SB signing top 5 FAs and you named the team that won the SB but they didnt sign top 5 FAs.
Then you went into some kind of craziness that says trade away the whole draft (you need to go to salary cap and roster building 101 class) and whining about the date we resigned our own free agents (while other teams were losing theirs)

How Belichick has the patience to deal with this fan base is beyond me. The arrogance in this post is just overwhelming.

Pats1 - "The Smart GM" of Madden 10

The arrogance lies not in the post, but in the reason it had to be written: and that is, the arrogance of the FO/ownership believing that it can magically transform chickens**t into chicken salad, and that quality FAs will want to take less just to come here because, well, we're the N-E-effin-P, d%#*!@t. You know, the Gold Standard? Yeah right.

Memo to Bill & Bob: You just paid Tully...Banta...Cain $15M for 3 years. Money should've been be no bloody object when Arizona wanted to trade Boldin yesterday...None. Now, if they didn't accept an offer of #53 straight-up for him, then that's another matter. But as you have already demonstrated with your Chiarelli-sized contracts to TBC & a half-season of the breaking-down Stephen Neal, you are not unwilling to spend money; you just need to learn how to spend it properly.

Pats1 is dead-on, bulls-eye correct. And if some of you think that it sux because it's too negative, then I'm sure that there's a Kraft-approved Fan Club somewhere which would love your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back