PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More likely to be franchised: Dont'a Hightower or Martellus Bennett (poll)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who is the better candidate for the franchise tag in 2017?

• Dont'a Hightower

Votes: 55 78.6%
  • Martellus Bennett

Votes: 15 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Dont'a Hightower
Age Next Season: 27
Position: Linebacker
Positional Franchise Tag Cost: $14.1 M

PROS: At least one notable NFL publication has ranked Hightower as the #1 UFA available this coming offseason. Typically, you don't see guys at the top of their class hit the open market, particularly at this age, and I don't recall Belichick losing a player of Hightower's caliber right in his prime when the tag was available. Hightower is arguably the most important player on the defense (him, Butler and McCourty are the top 3) and, from everything we have observed, is the Patriots highest priority to for a long-term extension. If the Patriots were to franchise him, they be able to produce some leverage, which has generally worked for teams that slap the tag on players coming out of their rookie deal.

CONS: It is possible that Hightower would not be a Patriot after 2017, which is the biggest risk for the Patriots. Some players (see Josh Norman) get infuriated at being franchised, preferring a long-term deal. The free agent market may also show astronomical numbers that the Patriots are unwilling to meet next year, just the result of Hightower's standing. The Patriots did not extend him before he became a borderline superstar, so they are left having to foot a big bill no matter what. Oh, and also, a cap hit of $14.1 M is a darn lot of money, about $5 more than McCourty.

Martellus Bennett
Age Next Season: 30
Position: Tight End
Positional Franchise Tag Cost: $9.1 M

PROS: I would have to think age is the biggest reason the Patriots might get needed leverage with Bennett. At 30 years old and a career with some bust seasons and character concerns, Bennett must know that, should he fall out of good graces with the Patriots, he may be viewed as a journeyman tight end when he hits the market a 31 in 2018. That and multiple injuries, including tough ones this year, may make him re-think the $7.5 M per year extension the team offered him earlier. Imagine if Darrelle Revis had hit free agency one year later, after showing significant decline in his return for the Jets, or two years later, after proving to be a shell of himself. When football players reach this age, that regression comes quickly and can happen any time. At $9.1 M, the cap hit can be absorbed without completely shaking up the Patriots disciplined value system.

CONS: Let's assume first for a minute that Rob Gronkowski does return, which the majority of observers believe. It may be a sticky situation that your #2 TD earns more than your #1 tight end, especially with the Patriots, who adhere to their internal pay scale and pecking order as much as any other team. The Patriots have a question mark with Gronkowski, which both complicates Bennett's value to the team and makes them more desperate to shore up this position. Finally, Bennett has been a good teammate so far (at least from what we know), but it is clear he is both emotional and prideful. He didn't want the long-term extension, and you have to consider the risk-factor of franchising a guy like this.

I don't think the Patriots will franchise either player. Their final offer will not be far removed
from the offer they made before the season began.

Hard to imagine a guy like Bennett coming in and having a higher cap hit than Rob Gronkowski, so I don't think it will be him.

Don't think Hightower would be miffed at getting 14m guaranteed for 1 year. Patriots have paid some high contracts out, I hope he isn't trying to break the bank. If he is then sayonara.

I don't think the Patriots will franchise either player. Their final offer will not be far removed
from the offer they made before the season began.

Really? The franchise tag is a proven advantage in negotiations. With Hightower, this would be NFL front office 101.

I love me some Marty, but I would say Hightower, easily.

However, that formula changes a bit if Gronk retires.

.....that being said, doesn't the team's current unused cap space plus the fact that they already jettisoned C. Jones and Jamie Collins make it far more likely they can keep most of these FA's if they structure it well?

Taking #95 (the former, not Chris Long) and #91 out of the equation really made this a far easier proposition. OK, adding in #88 goes in the other direction, but if some of the capologists can help me here, I think the Pats' situation became alot more manageable this season?

Not sure who's more likely to get tagged, but Hightower is w/o question the more valuable player. I love Bennett and I feel like we got cheated not getting to see him and Gronk destroy defenses in the playoffs. Im hopeful they can extend both. But if i could just have one, its a nobrainer, Hightower.

Hightower

I think they're going to pay Hightower.

Maybe tag Bennett...but who knows? I'm watching Kyle Van Noy and Shea McLellin and Erik Rowe become major players on the Pats, and before the seaon, the only one I knew anything about was Rowe!

I actually think they'll get a deal done with both, but Hightower is the mich more likely candidate to receive the tag. He's younger and the D is built around him. Marcellus fits here and is finally winning. There's also PLENTY of money free for both right now.

I was going to vote "neither" but then I remembered the $10-$15 million cap increase next year....so now I would vote "both" .......... if that was legal (it isn't). Sacrificing the newly gifted cap space (free money) without committing long term would be a risk management luxury that the Pats could absorb no problem.
But if we must play by the rules (1 tag only), then I negotiate with Hightower and tag Bennett.

There is plenty of money to take care of both, and tweek Gronkowski's contract to appease everyone..

Last time I looked the pats were 60+ million under the cap in 2017.. the Pats can do some very creative cyphering to take care of all of them..

In 2018 they are 100+ million under the cap..

Maybe neither.

Belichick usually reserves a portion of his cap for a few if his home grown veteran leaders to land a Max Deal. In the past, it was Mankins, Wilfork, Gronkowski, McCourty--big deals with competitive pricing for elite players, role models, cornerstones for his team.

Hightower fits the profile, captain and impact player. He and McCourty are the face of the D. He should be the next Jerod Mayo on the roster, get a big contract and fill that slot on BBs Cap Allocation plan. The cap space is there.

But I will say, my confidence that Hightower will get paid by the Pats has been waning a bit over the last few weeks. Hightower's palpable impact on the field has diminished, the success of Van Noy and McClellin coming in and providing useful snaps is instructive. If Hightower's agent overplays his hand during negotiations, BB might just look to the draft to backfill, and kick the tires on some veteran free agents. Save his money on D for Butler and Ryan and Harmon instead?

Bennett is a great player and underrated talent, but I think Bennett fits the profile of a "buy low" acquisition whose career BB decided to resuscitate, and is willing to release back into the wild if another team outbids him. Note that the Pats signed another young TE to a futures contract this past week. Always sourcing the next generation.

I like Bennett a lot, and I have some concerns for how well Hightower's game will age, but even with all that it's not really close IMO. Hightower by a mile.

hightower, and is shouldn't even be a discussion.

if bennet wants to stick around its going to be on a three year deal or top 10 money.

Hightower is getting a 5 year deal, or the tag.

I voted bennett, as more likely than High, but really think neither. Do you remember that IIRC BB was the First Coach to ever franchise a kicker? He can find a cheaper / more cost effektive use than either, but TE cap is more bang for buck than LB cap. So that makes me think between two te more likely.

I think they Prefer to/will make a Deal with High & Hope to for MB before the deadline, but Who knows. It is a two-way negotiation. If one side ( a la Welker) has an unreasonable expectation-franchise may be only way to extend the negotiation time.

I voted bennett, as more likely than High, but really think neither. Do you remember that IIRC BB was the First Coach to ever franchise a kicker? He can find a cheaper / more cost effektive use than either, but TE cap is more bang for buck than LB cap. So that makes me think between two te more likely.

I think they Prefer to/will make a Deal with High & Hope to for MB before the deadline, but Who knows. It is a two-way negotiation. If one side ( a la Welker) has an unreasonable expectation-franchise may be only way to extend the negotiation time.

When was BB the first to franchise a kicker? I seem to remember a good number of kickers being tagged in the past 6 or so years and the only instance of BB tagging a kicker I can remember occurred during that span. Did he franchise Vinatieri?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back