PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(Mod Title Edit) Bill O'Brien's Comments From Tuesday ...

These answers from Bill are interesting. He chooses to answer both times that the decision to draft Mac was a "collective" or "organizational" decision as opposed to just saying yes, he felt it was the right pick.

There's a video from their draft room that day that shows Bill asking We OK with this? or words to that effect.

It's also hard to say they should have done X instead without the benefit of hindsight.

They were compelled to draft Corky there: another season of Scam Newton would've been unwatchable. If Brady had still been our QB, then VA Tech LT Christian Darrisaw would've looked pretty good at #15.

Reactions: sb1
There's a video from their draft room that day that shows Bill asking We OK with this? or words to that effect.

They were compelled to draft Corky there: another season of Scam Newton would've been unwatchable. If Brady had still been our QB, then VA Tech LT Christian Darrisaw would've looked pretty good at #15.
Yup. The same people crying about Mac now are the same people that whined all year "any QB can't be worse than Cam". They all would have thrown a tantrum if at 15 we decided the QB's didn't have value, passed on the position, got a 2nd rounder and put them in a position where Cam could win an off season competition.

I venture to say Cam Newton would be more watchable than what we have now…

That said - agree that it was a reasonable pick at the time. I just find it interesting to think that perhaps Bill wanted to go another direction but was compelled by the consensus to take Mac. It would go against the idea that the bad roster is all on him.

I venture to say Cam Newton would be more watchable than what we have now…

That said - agree that it was a reasonable pick at the time. I just find it interesting to think that perhaps Bill wanted to go another direction but was compelled by the consensus to take Mac. It would go against the idea that the bad roster is all on him.
If not Jones then the right move was a trade up for Parsons and get a placeholder like Mills in the meantime. Or maybe Jones falls that far anyway who knows.

That’s an odd comment implying Kraft is making decisions on the starting QB. I can’t imagine Bill would stick around for long if that was true.
Mac was Kraft's choice. To me, everything goes back to that strange draft room scene and the emphasis on his 4.0 GPA by Kraft.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back