PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(Mod Title Edit) Bill O'Brien's Comments From Tuesday ...

Grogan1980

Rookie
2023 Predictions Winner
Reaction score
Anyone know what the "big" news the SportHub guys said they heard from Bill O'Brien?
They teased it before I had to step away, now they are talking Bruins...

That’s an odd comment implying Kraft is making decisions on the starting QB. I can’t imagine Bill would stick around for long if that was true.

That’s an odd comment implying Kraft is making decisions on the starting QB. I can’t imagine Bill would stick around for long if that was true.
Here I thought this tinfoil hat I got from Ross12 was way too crazy of a fit. Well... keeps the season interesting I guess. Thanks for the info.

Edit: It might actually mean if Kraft accepts his "wrong" ASSuming the tinfoil hat fits, we might see BB here for another couple of years.

It would not surprise me to learn that Bill and Bob have a consensus about the QB situation. I think a lot of people have an overly simplistic view of how chain of command works in private enterprise. It’s not like the military where it’s salute and execute is the only model. I think Kraft has frequent discussions with BB about the team state of affairs, and the team owner and his GM discuss and agree on strategy. It’s simply naive to think that the GM of a multi-billion dollar business runs a free range rogue enterprise without being reined in by his CEO. Much more likely that they routinely meet and consult with each other. They’ve been working together for over twenty years, so they have a well established working relationship. And Bill is no dummy, despite popular opinion among some posters on here. When things start going sideways he’ll be communicating with his boss. Things like injury reports and player evaluations won’t be hidden from the boss. That’s why I’m not convinced it’s inevitable that Kraft will be firing Belichick. It’s more likely that when Bill leaves it’s his decision, or at least a mutual agreement that it’s time to part ways.

It would not surprise me to learn that Bill and Bob have a consensus about the QB situation. I think a lot of people have an overly simplistic view of how chain of command works in private enterprise. It’s not like the military where it’s salute and execute is the only model. I think Kraft has frequent discussions with BB about the team state of affairs, and the team owner and his GM discuss and agree on strategy. It’s simply naive to think that the GM of a multi-billion dollar business runs a free range rogue enterprise without being reined in by his CEO. Much more likely that they routinely meet and consult with each other. They’ve been working together for over twenty years, so they have a well established working relationship. And Bill is no dummy, despite popular opinion among some posters on here. When things start going sideways he’ll be communicating with his boss. Things like injury reports and player evaluations won’t be hidden from the boss. That’s why I’m not convinced it’s inevitable that Kraft will be firing Belichick. It’s more likely that when Bill leaves it’s his decision, or at least a mutual agreement that it’s time to part ways.
I could make an equal argument that personnel decisions qualify as "being in the weeds" and "micromanaging" for the owner, especially if the lens being used is a high quality, large scale business. Kraft might ask about the health of the decision process, but I think rendering an opinion on the outcome of that process would be dysfunctional.

He slipped up mentioning Bob Kraft calls the shots.

That was what the radio guys inferred. BOB said organizational decisions generally follow a chain of command from RKK through BB-on down. But it's quite a stretch for them to suggest Kraft is meddling in who starts at quarterback.

That was what the radio guys inferred. BOB said organizational decisions generally follow a chain of command from RKK through BB-on down. But it's quite a stretch for them to suggest Kraft is meddling in who starts at quarterback.
It was a really stupid question to begin with. Asking an OC if he has the authority to tell the HC if he could sit a QB?

Is it though?

Bailey, Harris, Hoyer and Mac all went outside the chain of command last year. The chain of command that Belichick holds dear. All are gone, except Mac. If Bill wanted Mac gone and Kraft said no, he's your QB, then, essentially, Kraft is telling Bill who's playing.

The whole thing is a mess. The sooner we get on to 2024, the happier I will be.

I could make an equal argument that personnel decisions qualify as "being in the weeds" and "micromanaging" for the owner, especially if the lens being used is a high quality, large scale business. Kraft might ask about the health of the decision process, but I think rendering an opinion on the outcome of that process would be dysfunctional.
I’d agree with you about most positions, with the exceptions of on-field talent. Players and coaches are too important to the product.

Also, I make a distinction between individual player decisions, things like draft rankings I’d agree with you about. Overall health of the roster, things like why the OL was such a mess at the start of the season and seems better now, and issues affecting competitive results I will argue are essential elements to the health of the business and part of Kraft’s core concerns. Those are what I’d expect him to be briefed about or consulted on in the routine course of business.

That's not how a Chain of Command works. Like Biden is the Commander in Chief and then he has the Generals and Admirals under him and then there are Colonels and Captains under them and so on. Biden is not setting the duty roster on every ship or base in the military. That's the job of the guys under him and the guys under them.

Kraft isn't telling BB who to start or anything like that. The moment that would happen, BB would retire.

Is it though?

Bailey, Harris, Hoyer and Mac all went outside the chain of command last year. The chain of command that Belichick holds dear. All are gone, except Mac. If Bill wanted Mac gone and Kraft said no, he's your QB, then, essentially, Kraft is telling Bill who's playing.

That’s a really good point. And that would explain Bill sticking with Mac when he’s obviously toast, as a way to stick it to Kraft for not going along with Bill’s grocery list.

it also changes the dynamics around Bill possibly being fired. Or perhaps deciding he wants to leave.

This now has me wondering, to what extent are Bob and Jonathan involved in, or approving, decisions to trade or release players? If Kraft can veto Bill getting rid of Mac what other player decisions does he approve or veto? If it’s a straight salute and execute chain of command either Bill has authority on player selection or he doesn’t. That’s one of the reasons I think that chain of command model is overly simplistic. So the real question is, to what extent is it a collaborative decision making model instead of a purely top down waterfall?

That’s a really good point. And that would explain Bill sticking with Mac when he’s obviously toast, as a way to stick it to Kraft for not going along with Bill’s grocery list.

it also changes the dynamics around Bill possibly being fired. Or perhaps deciding he wants to leave.

This now has me wondering, to what extent are Bob and Jonathan involved in, or approving, decisions to trade or release players? If Kraft can veto Bill getting rid of Mac what other player decisions does he approve or veto? If it’s a straight salute and execute chain of command either Bill has authority on player selection or he doesn’t. That’s one of the reasons I think that chain of command model is overly simplistic. So the real question is, to what extent is it a collaborative decision making model instead of a purely top down waterfall?
I dunno. None of it is good however. If RKK is meddling in the day to day stuff, then he hasn't learned his lesson on grocery shopping from 25 years ago with Parcells.

It would also explain Bill splitting reps because he knows it doesn't work from way back in 2001.

Where does Groh fall In this system is his word equal footing with Bill?

Is it though?

Agreed the whole thing is a mess, but it was reported before the trade deadline that offers for Mac would be entertained. Like Punky McMilfson he remains a commodity by virtue of where he was drafted, though his stock has plummeted. RKK's history as an avowed hands-off owner who has expressed trust in BB running the football operation is clear. I have a hard time buying the notion he's suddenly swooping in to meddle, especially when this team's troubles extend far beyond the quarterback position.

Use Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is usually the correct one. Mac Jones outplays Zappe and Cunningham in practice so he gets to start. It's as simple as that. Kraft isn't telling Bill who to start. Bill isn't starting Mac out of spite. And what's this about Kraft not going along with the "grocery list"? Who did Kraft want to draft and BB didn't?

Remember this offseason though.
Lamar wants to be a Patriot.
He needs to talk to Bill.
Then Krafts comments he has never not given Bill anything he has asked for.
We know Bill long wanted Agholar he got him. Bill was a fan of Hunter Henry he got him.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back