PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Miserable Night For Tim Tebow Against Buccaneers

Re: Tebow must be cut after preseason

I've seen worse. That's about all I got.

I will admit when I heard about what was going on in Denver, I thought Elway was just being arrogant and felt Tebow was being treated unfairly. After seeing him here, and considering he's now even being coached by Belichick and McDaniels, I no longer feel that way. Those two guys have made players play above their capabilities. Clearly that's not happening in this case, although he'll obviously have two more games to prove otherwise.

Tebow is very athletic, and could probably be a viable player in a number of other positions. While his preseason work is sufficiently bad to merit something worse than simply being cut from the team, I believe he may stay with the Pats for some other purpose, whether fullback, tight end, or otherwise..

I am still trying to figure out who started this nonsensical horse poo. Which "positions" do you think he would be viable at? Tight End? FB? You mean positions where we have elite pros who have played these positions their whole life? TT cant even be a 3rd string QB at a position he has played his whole life. How is he all of a sudden going to morph into an even serviceable player at another position and beat out these pros?

Can we please STOP with the Tebow could be a FB and TE crap? Its embarrassing to the site.

I am still trying to figure out who started this nonsensical horse poo. Which "positions" do you think he would be viable at? Tight End? FB? You mean positions where we have elite pros who have played these positions their whole life? TT cant even be a 3rd string QB at a positions he had played his who life. How is he all of a sudden going to morph into an even serviceable player at another position and beat out these elite pros.

Can we please STOP with the Tebow could be a FB and TE crap? Its embarrassing to the site.

I was under the impression after Hernandez was arrested that when they signed Tebow, knowing how bad a passer he is that they were going to potentially make the attempt to use him in some sort of role there. I didn't understand it or agree with it, but then again I didn't understand the signing initially either unless that was going to be the case. Now after watching him, I honestly have no idea what they were thinking :confused:

Last edited:
I don't know if he could play TE, but if he can, he needs to take an offseason to learn and try to make a roster as a TE next season. The seasons about to start, we don't have extra coaches available to teach one guy how to play a position he doesn't know.

Mallet is not looking like the future of the franchise right now -- not that I ever thought he would be given the timeline of his free agency and Brady's retirement being years away. But his performance has likely killed his trade value.

I was a fan of the Tebow signing and I'm hoping he improves, but I'm dismayed with what I've seen. He has unfortunately regressed in my opinion. The last year with the Jets was a bad situation for his development.

I also have no idea why he's running the option in preseason -- everyone knows he can do that. He should be practicing his pocket passing skills.

Huh???????

His performance has been pretty good this pre-season.

I am still trying to figure out who started this nonsensical horse poo. Which "positions" do you think he would be viable at? Tight End? FB? You mean positions where we have elite pros who have played these positions their whole life? TT cant even be a 3rd string QB at a position he has played his whole life. How is he all of a sudden going to morph into an even serviceable player at another position and beat out these pros?

Well, we do turn quarterbacks into wide receivers, and wide receivers into cornerbacks, and have played a few other guys on both sides of the ball. So it seems Tebo could (but probably wont) become our Mr Versatility.

Mallet is not looking like the future of the franchise right now -- not that I ever thought he would be given the timeline of his free agency and Brady's retirement being years away. But his performance has likely killed his trade value.

His trade value wasn't that high to start with (the 1st round pick some were throwing around was definitely unrealistic), but I wouldn't say his performance thus far has "killed" his trade value. Unlike Tebow, he's actually improved a little bit so far through two games and he's at least looked better than each of the opposing backups we've seen on other teams.

But even Cassel wasn't that bad, and he got better throwing the football as the preseason went on:

2008 PreSeason
Game 1 vs Ravens: 1-of-4 (25%) for 11yds 1 sack, 1 INT
Game 2 at Bucs: 6-of-10 (60%) for 57 yds
Game 3 vs Eagles: 8-of-14 (57%) for 60yds 3 sacks
Game 4 at Giants: 4-of-6 (67%) for 37yds

He wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible. After last night Tebow is just getting worse:

Game 1: 4-of-12 (40%) for 55yds 3 sacks
Game 2: 1-of-7 (14%) for -1 yds 1 INT

You'll obviously get your chance to see if he can turn it around, but there's no denying what happened last night. That was ugly.

What was most disappointing to me was the play in which he faked a handoff, ran to his left,
and had Bartholomew a few yards ahead of him in the flat. The guy wasn't wide wide open,
and maybe the first read was a deeper pattern, but Tebow eventually threw it at the FB's feet.
That call should be one of Tebow's bread & butters, and he almost totally effed it up. Sad.

In a form of irony - I am reading Ian's story on Tebow and there is an ad for AARP. Kind of funny.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-08-17 at 12.18.46 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-08-17 at 12.18.46 PM.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 71
What was most disappointing to me was the play in which he faked a handoff, ran to his left,
and had Bartholomew a few yards ahead of him in the flat. The guy wasn't wide wide open,
and maybe the first read was a deeper pattern, but Tebow eventually threw it at the FB's feet.
That call should be one of Tebow's bread & butters, and he almost totally effed it up. Sad.

He doesn't seem to read what's unfolding quickly enough, which has been the knock on him all preseason and in camp. When he runs, it's about instincts and it's happening right in front of him. Throwing the ball you have to be able to look in different directions quickly and evaluate if there's enough space to pull the trigger and throw it. He hasn't been able to do that and it's something that's killing him because he doesn't have a quick release to start with.

Well, we do turn quarterbacks into wide receivers, and wide receivers into cornerbacks, and have played a few other guys on both sides of the ball. So it seems Tebo could (but probably wont) become our Mr Versatility.

Lets not even begin to compare Teblow to Troy Brown ok?

Also, the problem with this thinking is that Julian Edleman came into camp and practices and SHOWED that he was a very serviceable WR and PR has turned into one of the the best PR in the league and best in Franchise history.

Here is the Rub. If TeBlow had any ability to do any of these things he would have shown it either in camp or practice, or also over the last several years in the league. And if he had shown it he would have been used in these positions.

SO, Since he HAS NOT obviously shown in in camp, practice, or a game, its a pretty good solid bet that it aint gonna happen. He is 26. We would have seen it already.

The guy had a hot streak with a hot Denver team and then everyone figured him out.

My God! this is becoming comical. People are starting to mention Troy Brown in posts to try to somehow rationalize that TBlow could play another position. Troy Brown was probably the most versatile player in the history of the NFL not named Dion Sanders.

He doesn't seem to read what's unfolding quickly enough, which has been the knock on him all preseason and in camp. When he runs, it's about instincts and it's happening right in front of him. Throwing the ball you have to be able to look in different directions quickly and evaluate if there's enough space to pull the trigger and throw it. He hasn't been able to do that and it's something that's killing him because he doesn't have a quick release to start with.

Ian - that is spot on.

I said last night that if guys like you and me are going to notice that the game is far too quick for Tebow, can you imagine what BB, McDaniels and the rest of the coaching staff are going to see when they review the film?

Out of all of the things that he did and didn't do, the game being far too fast for him is the #1 thing that stood out last night.

Ian - that is spot on.

I said last night that if guys like you and me are going to notice that the game is far too quick for Tebow, can you imagine what BB, McDaniels and the rest of the coaching staff are going to see when they review the film?

Out of all of the things that he did and didn't do, the game being far too fast for him is the #1 thing that stood out last night.

I never saw him in college, but I'd love to go back and look at film and see what it was that made him what he is. I also find it amazing that there wasn't the same outcry among fans with Danny Weurffel as there is with this guy, as I think Weurffel was definitely a better passer coming out. Although his career didn't turn out too well, so....

Try NFL.com, and then try looking for an answer with a search engine before embarrassing yourself. I appreciate your confidence in your own opinion and it's great that you believe that you are correct, but unless you work or have worked in the NFL, then it is just your opinion. Try this article first. Or this article as to the proposition generally. I will let you go through the exercise of reading them as you should have gone that route before replying with attitude.

And I am no Tebow enthusiast, in the event your rant assumes that. He can stay or go. It makes no difference to me. If he betters the team, stay. Otherwise, go.

I never saw him in college, but I'd love to go back and look at film and see what it was that made him what he is. I also find it amazing that there wasn't the same outcry among fans with Danny Weurffel as there is with this guy, as I think Weurffel was definitely a better passer coming out. Although his career didn't turn out too well, so....

LOL - I saw plenty of Danny Wuerffel when he was at the U of F and I didn't like him either.

He short-armed everything. Kind of like how Phillip Rivers throws the ball.

When Tebow was at the U of F, his mechanics were not good. It was apparent to me even when he won the Heisman that he had to, as Joker has pointed out, work on his footwork and throwing motion.

With that said - he was a solid scrambling quarterback who could run the option. That is why his collegiate stats are what they were.

Try NFL.com, and then try looking for an answer with a search engine before embarrassing yourself. I appreciate your confidence in your own opinion and it's great that you believe that you are correct, but unless you work or have worked in the NFL, then it is just your opinion. Try this article first. Or this article as to the proposition generally. I will let you go through the exercise of reading them as you should have gone that route before replying with attitude.

And I am no Tebow enthusiast, in the event your rant assumes that. He can stay or go. It makes no difference to me. If he betters the team, stay. Otherwise, go.

I asked who started the story? What does the opinion of everyone else who has common sense have to do with your reply? Embarrass myself? How? Because I believe the notion is ridiculous? Some people still bring this silly notion up as if it has any merit.

Also, so anyone who has not worked in the NFL has no right to proclaim that TT probably wouldn't make a decent TE or FB or whatever position he could be suitable at? I think a pair of eyes its all that is needed. Some BS pipe dream article dosent change anything. Diddnt the Jets let him try out the TE position? That diddnt work out to well.

Guy cant play QB. FB? Yeah if you like a slow guy who fumbles. TE? Yeah, He probably wouldn't be a good college TE.

Next...

I was a fan of the Tebow signing and I'm hoping he improves, but I'm dismayed with what I've seen. He has unfortunately regressed in my opinion. The last year with the Jets was a bad situation for his development.

I also have no idea why he's running the option in preseason -- everyone knows he can do that. He should be practicing his pocket passing skills.

I don't know what game you were watching. Ryan Mallett in only his second full preseason with a TC, has moved the Team downfield into scoring position, six times in less than 2 quarters of play.

Isn't that what a QB is supposed to do? They don't award style points, only results. His results are pretty good for so inexperienced a player. He doesn't compare with Tom Brady; but no one else, save maybe Peyton Manning, does either.

What precisely do you expect for a third year bench sitting backup?

In short theres no evidence whatsoever that tebow could play Te or Rb. This thought is part of the "tebow is so hard working and such a good guy that he will will himself into being an all pro anything.". It's delusional. Lots of tes have played for years and have great work ethics and get cut.

All tebow has done is fail miserably at his one job. The one he's supposed to be good at. The one he's practiced for a decade or so. So we can surmise from that that he'll excel at another job like Te. Cause he's just so awesome ...at being tebow. It's delusional.

Tebow is much worse than I ever though, and I am a Tebow fan. He does decent when he plays as an option QB. But that's his best. As a pocket passer, just horrible. AGREED
He doesn't have the talent to be on this team.
AGREED

"In addition, Mallet really looked like a solid #2 QB last night." CAN'T AGREE WITH THIS FULLY. At times he looked solid, other times, he missed throws he needs to be making at this point.

We can't waste a roster spot because he's a good guy. There are probably 60+ backup QBs in the league better than Tebow at this point.
Mallett has a strong arm and hits some passes well. Mallett does wait too long to release the ball and his receivers are often waiting for the ball rather than getting it on the fly as Brady does so well.
I say cut Tebow. If we want a 3rd QB, there will be many, many better candidates available at the end of preseason available that will all be better than Tebow.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back