PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss off the mark on McKenzie analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Denver for sure. They would like nothing better than to snatch McKenzie after the Patriots nabbed Josh Barrett. But I sort of doubt it will happen; Mac played well in coverage against Atlanta and has a lot of potential.

I also distrust these rumors about who did and did not have good outings in practice. One person says it and then it get propagated through the media and becomes "fact" like Mike Lowell's slow bat speed.

I dont know if anyone has brought this up, but remember last year when we all thought Watson would get cut/traded because he was playing with the 3rd team offense? Turned out they just wanted to get a more time for other guys. I suspect its something similar here, maybe even them wanting Mckenzie to get experience leading the huddle in case of an emergency.

I dont know if anyone has brought this up, but remember last year when we all thought Watson would get cut/traded because he was playing with the 3rd team offense? Turned out they just wanted to get a more time for other guys. I suspect its something similar here, maybe even them wanting Mckenzie to get experience leading the huddle in case of an emergency.

I'd say that Maroney is playing the Watson role this year. In his first ever training camp, McKenzie should be one of the guys they're getting more time for, not a resting vet. Still, though, I think his roster spot is pretty secure for this year.

I liked what McKenzie did against the Saints. Spikes seems to have the position locked right now, with his slow 40 time.:D

But if I was going to make a prediction it would be that the Eric Alexander era is over in NE.

I'd say that Maroney is playing the Watson role this year. In his first ever training camp, McKenzie should be one of the guys they're getting more time for, not a resting vet. Still, though, I think his roster spot is pretty secure for this year.

McKenzie will be backing up Spikes, he comes in when Spikes leaves the field. Spikes is getting a LOT of reps in the Games since he will be starting as a rookie. Mac broke up 2 passes against Atl he played pretty well against NO. I agree with bBOR assessment. He isn't going anywhere. DF is going to the PS. Alexander is coming in for Mayo since Guyton is out.

Pats defensive snapshot vs. Falcons - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

For two weeks, Mike Reiss has been killing on McKenzie for coming into the game after Fletcher (week 1) and Alexander (week 2).

His analysis makes no sense - obviously, McKenzie plays a different position than those two guys. Fletcher and Alexander backup Mayo on the weakside. McKenzie backs up Spikes on the strongside. We've never heard of McKenzie taking any substantial reps at any position other than SILB at practice. Likewise, we've never heard of Fletcher/Alexander taking reps at positions other than WILB.

They play different positions. I think users in his comment section have even pointed this out to him each week.

The end result is he's trying to make a bold analysis (McKenzie could be cut b/c he's the 4th LB into the game) when the foundation for that analysis is way off. Reiss may be my favorite blogger, but its an amateurish mistake, and he's misleading his readers. If McKenzie is going to get cut, it's b/c they feel depth at Strongside Inside linebacker is good enough without him - Eric Alexander, Dane Fletcher, Jerod Mayo and anyone who mans the WILB spot have little to do with him.

Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog

"–Guyton returned with rotational reps with the first unit at inside linebacker. Brandon Spikes and Jerod Mayo seemed to get things going most often. Then Guyton joined Mayo with Spikes going to the sideline. Shortly thereafter Spikes returned next to Guyton with Mayo taking a breather. The three-guys-for-two-spots rotation seems to be developing nicely on the inside, assuming they can all stay healthy."

I think this contradicts the OP's basic premise (interesting that Mckenzie wasn't part of the rotation too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back