PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss nailed it!

Odd that is the takeaway you choose to highlight. I used to enjoy your posts. Sad to see the decline in nuance.
Ha! Nuance won’t be seen here for quite some time if this team can’t score more than 21 points on a consistent basis. And I don’t see it happening in MetLife Stadium Sunday.

Imagine Pats fans’ reaction if we go 0-3?

Jets fans can already sense the blood in the water.

Ha! Nuance won’t be seen here for quite some time if this team can’t score more than 21 points on a consistent basis. And I don’t see it happening in MetLife Stadium Sunday.

I can understand that. I'm in wait and see mode with this squad as well. I'll believe until mid October if things aren't trending in the right directino.

Regarding Pats or other teams' fan's reactions: We do get to choose whether we want to let other people bother us or not, and also whether we add to such a clown show or not.

The personnel on offense makes it too hard to finish drives. They can move the ball but one missed block / penalty/ drop / mistake by qb will kill a drive since we don’t have the talent to overcome it.

Same if we lose the turnover battle, just can’t overcome it against talented teams. We need to be razor sharp and unfortunately we are not that either. or play a weaker team.

The team is still capable of winning 10 games by beating the weaker clubs and maybe stealing a couple but 8 is probably more likely. Next offseason should be devoted to upgrading the OL and if we have money left get one of the top wr hitting the market.

I agree. Right now this is a team that has to play a really clean game to get the win, and any mistakes they make are killing them. They are going to have to start making some big plays, and play cleaner to get wins.

Two omissions from the otherwise astute Reiss analysis.

Darrell Bevill is Miami’s passing game coordinator. He’s the Seahawks OC in the Malcolm Butler SB goal line INT. He admits to calling that.
There was NOTHING wrong with Bevell's call back in that superbowl. There were a number of reasons that wasn't a bad call. Let me review JUST a few. The Seahawks during that year had a HORRIBLE record attempting 3rd and 4th and shorts. I don't recall the number exactly but it was something like 7 of 8 failures with their top RB.

On that play the Pats had more run defenders than the Seahawks had blockers and the Pats had been very good vs 3rd and 4th and short that year, The Pats late addition of Butler was for a defense they Pats had not used ONCE prior to that play.

Of course there was a chance the play wouldn't work, but the chances of it being picked was microscopic. If it had just been an incompletion it wouldn't have been thought of as a huge blunder. It was Butler's miraculous pick that made it seem like a blunder from those 20 20 hindsight heroes..

BTW- the contact on that play between the WR and Butler was HUGE. He blew the WR back on his ass. He didn't so much as catch that ball as it somehow stuck to his chest, Look at the replay again without the rose colored glasses. Great play by Brown and Butler to break up the pass. But the pick part was more luck than skill.
Bevill, who is highly touted in nfl coaching and players circles, was interim head coach in Detroit after Patricia and in Jacksonville after Urban Meyer.
Bevel has always been a solid NFL OC
His play calling ran circles around the Patriots defense. Belichick was out-coached and -schemed. That’s why he was exceptionally testy and brief in his postgame conference.
One of the dumber comments you have even made here. The passing game coordinator "ran circles" and "out coached and out schemed BB".

REALLY????? You mean Hill's 40 yds in receptions was better than the 210 he had the week before. You mean Waddle's 4 for 89 (including his longest starting behind the LOS being 19th in week 2 and Hill being somewhere below 30)

That the 250 yds passing yds was 14th in the league down from #1 last week was an example of being schooled. :rolleyes: (Mac was 19th with an OL that had ONE starting OLman who had had ANY significant snaps all preseason playing that game...... and That's after losing your #1 CB for the game. The back up CB after the 1st quarter and your best CB is a rookie playing in his 2nd career game against the supposed top passing game in the league is being out coached?

Now we've all said some dumb things over the long years we've been here (well not me but everyone else. :) ) But S, this was a stretch that tore every muscle in the body, budy.
Darrell Bevill, who has worked his way to the upper tier of coaching, has done it the old-fashioned way. He’s EARNED it.
Big overstatement. This is Mike McDaniels offense, from the Shanahan tree and one he has been developing for several years now. Kudos to Bevel for helping out, but that was ALL he did. He no more deserves to get the blame for 2016 than he does for getting all the credit for this last game. ALL great coaching jobs are joint efforts.
Yeah, no daddy giving him a job.
So the Pats defense sucks because Steve call the defensive signals? He hasn't deserved what he's gotten? The 12 years he's been working at it starting at the VERY bottom hasn't meaned anything? Well when you irrationally hate BB for no apparent reason I guess it can. :rolleyes"
So Darrell Bevill’s name should have been included in paragraph 7 in giving credit to the Dolphins’ head coach.
No, but it improves your flawed narrative.

But I WAS very impressed with McDaniel's patience in the run game and his use of speed motion. It will be even tougher next game, if the Pats are relatively more healthy.
And the other omission is our lumbering linebackers. They were not successful against the Miami offensive attack.
I'm not sure you are wrong here, though I'd have to see the game again to look specific on that one. Maybe next one seeing more of Mapu than Tavai will make both of us happier.
They’re suited for the downhill running attack, but with speed the edges they are vulnerable.
Again. Running the football requires a physical OL and not having your 4 top OLmen either in the game or having even a MODICUM of practise time is NOT conducive of physical play. BTW - I DO expect it to be better next week, but I do NOT expect it to be be at its top level for another 2 or 3 weeks at best.
All our opponents know Tavai and Bentley are limited.
I think Bentley less than Tavai, but Tavai makes up for some of his lack of speed by being a very smart player. Right now Mapu is a rookie and Wilson, while fast enough, doesn't seem to have the smarts or instincts. Could be a very makeable upgrade next year.

There was NOTHING wrong with Bevell's call back in that superbowl. There were a number of reasons that wasn't a bad call. Let me review JUST a few. The Seahawks during that year had a HORRIBLE record attempting 3rd and 4th and shorts. I don't recall the number exactly but it was something like 7 of 8 failures with their top RB.

On that play the Pats had more run defenders than the Seahawks had blockers and the Pats had been very good vs 3rd and 4th and short that year, The Pats late addition of Butler was for a defense they Pats had not used ONCE prior to that play.

Of course there was a chance the play wouldn't work, but the chances of it being picked was microscopic. If it had just been an incompletion it wouldn't have been thought of as a huge blunder. It was Butler's miraculous pick that made it seem like a blunder from those 20 20 hindsight heroes..

BTW- the contact on that play between the WR and Butler was HUGE. He blew the WR back on his ass. He didn't so much as catch that ball as it somehow stuck to his chest, Look at the replay again without the rose colored glasses. Great play by Brown and Butler to break up the pass. But the pick part was more luck than skill.

Bevel has always been a solid NFL OC

One of the dumber comments you have even made here. The passing game coordinator "ran circles" and "out coached and out schemed BB".

REALLY????? You mean Hill's 40 yds in receptions was better than the 210 he had the week before. You mean Waddle's 4 for 89 (including his longest starting behind the LOS being 19th in week 2 and Hill being somewhere below 30)

That the 250 yds passing yds was 14th in the league down from #1 last week was an example of being schooled. :rolleyes: (Mac was 19th with an OL that had ONE starting OLman who had had ANY significant snaps all preseason playing that game...... and That's after losing your #1 CB for the game. The back up CB after the 1st quarter and your best CB is a rookie playing in his 2nd career game against the supposed top passing game in the league is being out coached?

Now we've all said some dumb things over the long years we've been here (well not me but everyone else. :) ) But S, this was a stretch that tore every muscle in the body, budy.

Big overstatement. This is Mike McDaniels offense, from the Shanahan tree and one he has been developing for several years now. Kudos to Bevel for helping out, but that was ALL he did. He no more deserves to get the blame for 2016 than he does for getting all the credit for this last game. ALL great coaching jobs are joint efforts.

So the Pats defense sucks because Steve call the defensive signals? He hasn't deserved what he's gotten? The 12 years he's been working at it starting at the VERY bottom hasn't meaned anything? Well when you irrationally hate BB for no apparent reason I guess it can. :rolleyes"

No, but it improves your flawed narrative.

But I WAS very impressed with McDaniel's patience in the run game and his use of speed motion. It will be even tougher next game, if the Pats are relatively more healthy.

I'm not sure you are wrong here, though I'd have to see the game again to look specific on that one. Maybe next one seeing more of Mapu than Tavai will make both of us happier.

Again. Running the football requires a physical OL and not having your 4 top OLmen either in the game or having even a MODICUM of practise time is NOT conducive of physical play. BTW - I DO expect it to be better next week, but I do NOT expect it to be be at its top level for another 2 or 3 weeks at best.

I think Bentley less than Tavai, but Tavai makes up for some of his lack of speed by being a very smart player. Right now Mapu is a rookie and Wilson, while fast enough, doesn't seem to have the smarts or instincts. Could be a very makeable upgrade next year.
The losing has brought out a lot of dumb takes on why we're losing. I won't name anything specific but it's all over the board. Yeah, it's frustrating after the 20 year run we had but this is life in the NFL not having the greatest ever at QB anymore.

If we Exit 16-W with an L, you can pretty much count on leaving JerruhLand 0-4 by the following week.

I'm surprised he didn't mention the puzzling decision to simultaneously bench Douglas for fumbling while still putting him out there to field punts.

I'm surprised he didn't mention the puzzling decision to simultaneously bench Douglas for fumbling while still putting him out there to field punts.

Yep; and they way he caught them had me on the edge of my seat each time...

• Agree
Reactions: TBR

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back