Midseason Patriots awards

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score

MVP: Agree with Callahan... Bourne
Most Improved Player: Tavai
ROTY: Baringer.
Biggest surprise: Pharoah Brown
Biggest disappointment: Who else? Mr. Tik Tok himself Juju.

Team first half grades
Pass offense: D
Rush offense: C
Pass defense: C
Rush defense: B+
Special Teams: B-
Coaching: D

I remember a season a long time ago, back when the Pats were on WHDH. The announcers gave player of the game awards, and Rich Camarillo won Player of the Game an inordinate # of times. We'll be back there in no time, folks

I would not award this team anything. 2-7 is not acceptable in these parts.

I would not award this team anything. 2-7 is not acceptable in these parts.
It's a relative thing. Sure there's no one on the team that's going to sniff a league-wide award...but there are players on the team that are playing better than others and that worthy of note. Sure, it's like being the tallest little person but it is what it is.

It's hard to give out awards for a team that is 2-7.

MVP: Giving this award out is an oxymoron.
Most Improved Player: You know your team truly sucks if Tavaii is the most improved.
Biggest Surprise: Them throwing to a guy off the street and journeyman in Brown over Gesicki is certainly a surprise.
ROTY: If a punter is your best player from the class, that would make it two years in a row a special teams player is your best player. Just another example of how atrocious Bill's drafting is.

Team MVP: Kendrick Bourne, what little production there was, it mostly flowed thru him
Most Improved: Christian Barmore - feels like he is finally starting to make his presence felt on a consistent basis
Breakout: i dont think anyone has been a Break Out player this year
Surprise Player of the Year: Ezekiel Elliot ... i had absolutely zero expectations for him... he has, in fairness, surpassed that
Rookie of the Year (O): Pop Douglas - mainly because there is no one else to even consider
Rookie of the Year (D): Was Gonzales, is Now Keion White.
Offensive Player of the Year: Kendrick Bourne, what little production there was, it mostly flowed thru him
Defensive Player of the Year: Julius Peppers - I was hoping he would return to form this offseason, and so far he has
Special Teams Player of the Year: Outstanding effort by Punter Bryce Baringer needs to be recognized.
Biggest Disappointment: Mac Jones, far and away, has been the most disappointing player on the field this year.

Edit: Based on what you all have been saying, the special teams player of the year has been changed from Brenden Schooler to Bryce Baringer, the punter... he's done yeoman's work so far in this season

Last edited:
Disagree: Trent Brown
Offense MVP and ROTY: Pop
Special Teams MVP: Baringer

I'd still give the first-half offensive MVP to Bourne; but yeah Pop will likely be the year-long one when it's all over... Agree with the rest.

Team MVP: Kendrick Bourne, what little production there was, it mostly flowed thru him
Most Improved: Christian Barmore - feels like he is finally starting to make his presence felt on a consistent basis
Breakout: i dont think anyone has been a Break Out player this year
Surprise Player of the Year: Ezekiel Elliot ... i had absolutely zero expectations for him... he has, in fairness, surpassed that
Rookie of the Year (O): Pop Douglas - mainly because there is no one else to even consider
Rookie of the Year (D): Was Gonzales, is Now Keion White.
Offensive Player of the Year: Kendrick Bourne, what little production there was, it mostly flowed thru him
Defensive Player of the Year: Julius Peppers - I was hoping he would return to form this offseason, and so far he has
Special Teams Player of the Year: Lone standout is Brenden Schooler
Biggest Disappointment: Mac Jones, far and away, has been the most disappointing player on the field this year.
I think this is fair. I would say Pharaoh over Zeke, only because Zeke has pedigree of being a dude and Brown does not.

Most Improved Player: You know your team truly sucks if Tavaii is the most improved.
Ain't that the truth.

Biggest Surprise: Them throwing to a guy off the street and journeyman in Brown over Gesicki is certainly a surprise.
I was surprised & disappointed that Gesucki wasn't given more targets in Miami; he probably was too.

ROTY: If a punter is your best player from the class, that would make it two years in a row a special teams player is your best player. Just another example of how atrocious Bill's drafting is.
It is, though I'd give our ROTY to Pop Douglas.

Pharaoh has caught every pass thrown to him.

Brown: targets: 7 catches: 7 yards: 170 ypc: 24.3 TDs: 1

Gesicki: targets: 27 catches: 19 yards: 160 ypc: 8.4 TDs: 1

What is the biggest surprise is how the last three of those compare. It’s not a surprise that they throw to a guy who performs at that level.

It's hard to give out awards for a team that is 2-7.

MVP: Giving this award out is an oxymoron.
If Gonzo didn't get injured, he'd probably be the outright DROTY - that'd be a darn good pick. Terrible luck, injury wise this year.

Consider Jennings for most improved player

Biggest disappointment:
Mac Jones
Gesicki
Stevenson
David Andrews
JJS

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference