PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather Secret Weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with fix it and many others on this thread his physical talent and his intimidation he was known for in college.
This could be a great match up to watch.
If this is BB's plan I wouldn't be surprised he login in his first int this week.
They called him oldschool in college cause he'd hit u in the mouth then talk to u i like that.

Yeah and experience is a nice quality to have going against the second best offense in the league. Sanders, Harrison, and Gay at this point are much better NFL DB's than Meriweather is. The three will probably rotate on who gets Clark, and they'll get help from the LB's. I kinda hope Meriweather is given this assignment just so we can see what he's made of, but at this point there's no reason to risk it.

We'll see. As has been proven so many times in the past, the people who run practices every day know way better than we do. :D

He didn't get burnt, he got ran over. And this kid is supposed to be a hard hitter.

It's hard for any defensive back to hit big TE's like Cooley. Merriweather will learn that he needs to hit low because he doesn't have a chance tackling TE's straight up.

Yeah and experience is a nice quality to have going against the second best offense in the league.
Do you hear that Meriweather was going to cover Clark one on one? All I heard is that he will be a secret weapon.

BB is famous for taking away one best thing. With Harrison out, Wayne can be doubled or tripled. Next big weapon is Clark. Putting Meriweather on him is not so far-fetched, as long as he isn't on a island.

Normally he'd be covered by Rodney or AD. Fine, leave that as it is. But put Meriweather at the LOS, with the assignment of banging Clark every play. Hitting at the LOS is dangerous because is you miss, your man is gone. But in this case, Meriweather isn't responisble for covering Clark. Only for disrupting the timing. After bumping, he can charge Manning or turn and chase Clark, who will also be covered by one of Rodney/AD.

Why is this a bad idea?

On Felger show, a caller said that Brandon Meriweather would be the secret weapon this weekend vs. Dallas Clark.

To stop Clark, the Pats will instigate a brawl and have Merriweather stomp on his leg. ;)

Yeah and experience is a nice quality to have going against the second best offense in the league. Sanders, Harrison, and Gay at this point are much better NFL DB's than Meriweather is. The three will probably rotate on who gets Clark, and they'll get help from the LB's. I kinda hope Meriweather is given this assignment just so we can see what he's made of, but at this point there's no reason to risk it.

Sanders and Harrison will be in there regardless. I'm thinking Meriweather is stronger than Gay. The FS will be helping deep, so he's not going to be on Clark. Harrison and one other DB need to eyeball Clark.

And Sanders sits on the bench.... ?
I'm for playing Rodney at OLB in passing situations. 2 0f 3 ILBs are slow. I'd be for sitting Bru and Seau in obvious pass situations.

Meriweather's #1 pick, he can help somewhere. So he grabbed a big tight end high, I still prefer that to the roll and pray tactics of Wilson.

The Colts system is built around speed - why wouldn't a super fast dude like Meriweather be in line for some playing time? Sanders has marginal coverage skills, he's not a turn and run type of guy. And while we need Rodney on the field for his overall presence, he is far from a coverage guy. Gay and Meriweather on the field as the 4th and 5th DB's makes plenty of sense to me in this game with one caveat - Manning would make a point of burning the inexperienced Meriweather at every turn. But Brandon Meriweather was drafted because he's a playmaker, Sunday might be the day BB insists the kid deliver on his promise.

Gay is another guy who missed last years AFCCG, he's going to be a factor this time around, count on it.

Cooley listed as 6'3" 265
Clark listed as 6'3" 252

Merriweather listed as 6' 195.
He may be a little light in the arse for those matchups.

ROFL... Thanks for the smile... :D

Sanders and Harrison will be in there regardless. I'm thinking Meriweather is stronger than Gay. The FS will be helping deep, so he's not going to be on Clark. Harrison and one other DB need to eyeball Clark.

Well this is a good point - to cover Clark you need strength and Meriweather is a pretty big, tough and strong dude (especially compared to Gay - now, I like Gay's cover skills, but this is different).

Also, all during training camp, Meriweather was picking up a lot of slot receivers which the Colts like to do with Calrk.

Well this is a good point - to cover Clark you need strength and Meriweather is a pretty big, tough and strong dude (especially compared to Gay - now, I like Gay's cover skills, but this is different).

Also, all during training camp, Meriweather was picking up a lot of slot receivers which the Colts like to do with Calrk.

I would expect the Colts to go no-huddle for a good portion of the game. That leads me to believe that there will be plenty of opportunities for Hobbs, Samuel, Gay, Sanders, Harrison and Meriweather (assuming Wilson is out). Especially in the 2nd half. Last thing we need is a gassed secondary down the stretch. I can also see Rodney being used in more of a nickle linebacker role than a true safety...possibly opening up some playing time for Meriweather.

As for Meriweather being a "secret" weapon, he does have the skill set to line up anywhere and do a variety of things. His lack of experience (and lack of game tape for the Colts to study) does make him kind of a secret.

If Meriweather is used extensively in this game, I would expect it to be in a way that we (and the Colts) haven't seen before.

On Felger show, a caller said that Brandon Meriweather would be the secret weapon this weekend vs. Dallas Clark.

He won't be that secret anymore after he misses the first, second, third tackle, after laying good initial hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back