PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather knows it's time to step up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sanders ready to step it up

Do yourself a favor and put APatrioticVirginian on ignore. I did the first week he started posting here and haven't looked back. The only unfortunate time that I have to read his garbage is when somebody quotes him. Therefore, the less people quoting him, the better.

Do you have Firefox?

I'm still not a fan of this guy. I just don't think he does anything really well. He's a bad tackler, just okay in coverage (rewatch the seahawks game, Carlson really abuses him at time). He was sold as a top 15 talent, with off the field issues holding him back. But he's WAY behind the safties drafted before him (Landry, Griffin, Nelson)

I don't think Merriweather is that far off. I know that stats don't mean everything, but Merriweather had 20 more tackles than Landry, two more picks, and 1.5 more sacks. Oh yeah, Merriweather did that in only 11 games as a starter. Also, Merriweather had a better year statistically than Reggie Nelson. Keep in mind, Merriweather hasn't played nearly as much as Nelson, Griffin and Landry. Although Griffin looks to be the top safety right now, he was the beneficiary of having such a good pass rush. If Burgess and Thomas stay healthy and provide the pass rush we expect, Merriweather is going to have a huge year. Every DB is going to get beat in coverage, it happens. But it's extremely hard to cover anybody when you can't count on your front seven to produce a pass rush. I believe Burgess and Thomas are going to make it much easier for the secondary to make plays this year.

I do but choose not to use it. Google Chrome and Internet Explorer FTW.

I see. Well, this only works on Firefox right now, but:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7023

alternate download site:

TyCamTech.com - Firefox Extensions (FfvB, FiTunes, Customizer)

When you put someone on ignore, it ignores anything of theirs that gets quoted, as well. I don't know if there's an equivalent for Chrome or IE, but you might want to check into it.

I'm still not a fan of this guy. I just don't think he does anything really well. He's a bad tackler, just okay in coverage (rewatch the seahawks game, Carlson really abuses him at time). He was sold as a top 15 talent, with off the field issues holding him back. But he's WAY behind the safties drafted before him (Landry, Griffin, Nelson)

I'd recommend you re-evaluate your opinion on meriweather being worse than those safeties. Last years #'s for each one:

Landry: 65 tackles, 49 solo, 2 forced fumbles, 2 int's, .5 sacks

Griffin: 75 tackles, 55 solo, 1 forced fumble, 7 int's, 1 sack

Nelson: 54 tackes, 48 solo, 0 forced fumbles, 2 int's, 0 sacks

Meriweather : 83 tackles, 61 solo, 2 forced fumbles, 4 int's, 2 sacks

He may have had some growing pains, but at this point meriweather had a better statistical season than landry last year, a far better season than nelson, and a season relatively equal to griffin (griffin had more int's no contest, but meriweather leads in every other category)

I see. Well, this only works on Firefox right now, but:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7023

alternate download site:

TyCamTech.com - Firefox Extensions (FfvB, FiTunes, Customizer)

When you put someone on ignore, it ignores anything of theirs that gets quoted, as well. I don't know if there's an equivalent for Chrome or IE, but you might want to check into it.

Much appreciated. I'll start using Firefox much more often now.

This seems overly pessimistic to me. Rodney has effectively been "gone" for some time now, and while I don't think the safety play was necessarily stellar last year (though it's tough to really evaluate given the crappy play at CB and iffy pass rush), Meriweather I thought was clearly the bright spot in the secondary. Given that and the fact that his play has continuously improved since he was drafted and stepped on the field, it seems a bit bizarre, given his pedigree and obvious raw talent, that you would be so skeptical that his play would continue to improve.

Granted I was a student at U of Miami when Meriweather was a Hurricane so naturally I'm a bit of a staunch defender of his.

I felt Meriweather improved dramatically last year, but he still isn't anything more than average. I want more out of first round pick. He allowed Dustin Keller to convert a critical 3rd and 15 in overtime because his lack of awareness of where the first down marker is which ultimately let the Jets score in overtime. Those types of things need to improve.

I felt Meriweather improved dramatically last year, but he still isn't anything more than average. I want more out of first round pick. He allowed Dustin Keller to convert a critical 3rd and 15 in overtime because his lack of awareness of where the first down marker is which ultimately let the Jets score in overtime. Those types of things need to improve.

Belichick didn't see it that way, pointing to a linebacker issue as the problem on that play.

very true...mayo was the one out of position and went to the wrong hook/curl zone and merriweather was in a deep zone like a safety would be on third and long and if u watch closely merriweather closed on the play very quickly, impressive...blame mayo there..b. merriweather is a heck of a player and loves to hit but weve all seen him try to tackle way to high...thats his prob imo...gota do the bob sanders knee takeouts on those tight ends that out weigh u by fifty pounds

I am sooo excited about Meri. I would love to see him emerge as a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes