Welcome to PatsFans.com

Meriweather knows it's time to step up

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by jmt57, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 1 / -3

Meriweather knows it's time to step up by Andy Reid of the Attleboro Sun Chronicle

2. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +299 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I just posted my opinion on Meriweather in another thread but I will repost it here as I can not say it enough.

He looks like he has really improved alot even on what was a good season last year.

He clearly looks like our best DB on the field day in and day out....he always seems to do something to make him stand out in practice.

and while I may be overstating things I will repeat the same line I did in the other thread and say that if it were not for two things Meriweather could be a pro bowler. the two things Pro Bowl is very much a popularity contest and Reed and Polamalu truly are just rediculous.

3. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,062 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

I'd like to take the time again to thank you for your camp observations and I hope you keep going. Because of those things, I have a feeling that Meriweather is going to have a MONSTER year for us this season. He looked pretty good last season. Hopefully he can make that jump to GREAT in 2009. :eat3:

4. signbabybrady

Ratings:
    +299 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

not a problem I enjoy it....and while some of my observations may be based off a play here or there Merriweather keeps impressing me and its not like he is new to the team or a bubble player where I have been keeping a particular eye on him.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  5. patriot lifer

patriot lifer 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -1

#87 Jersey

i remember talking to someone in the spring about how he was getting to the point last year where opposing offenses were avoiding his side of the field. He's a dam fast player and he seems to have more of that playmaking ability than his teammate Sanders. Now if he can learn to tackle better...

6. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +498 / 2 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Why is the coach of the Eagles writing an article about a Patriots safety?

7. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Meriweather has turned himslef around from what appeared to be a troubled player from Miami into a role model for the younger guys like Chung to learn the ropes from.

You better believe Mr. Harrison had a lot to do with the speed of the maturity of Brandon which he calls Rodney 'Big Brother'

8. italia44

italia44 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

no offense to the poster,but there's nothing I hate more than the spots' cliche "step-up".Any football player who needs this as motivation is doomed to failue.IMO,Meriweather's progression has been right on schedule.This is a very difficult defense to masterThe FS in this defense has been hampered the last few years by a lack of speed overall and by poor cornerback play.

The Pats gave up more long plays last year than any other team in the NFL.You can't make plays at safety if you're constantly concerned with slow Linebacker play and inconsistent coverage from your CB's.

Merweather,Saunders and Chung will bloom when the new CB's jell and BB trusts them with more press coverage.Noone needs to "step-up",they need better players.......and I'm convinced that they have them,especially Meriweather.

9. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 1 / -3

Sanders ready to step it up

This must be the week for sport columnists (or their editors) to trot out the "step up" cliché.

Sanders ready to step it up AP article in the Nashua Telegraph

10. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

He can't write about his own.

11. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Is it just me or is Merriweather picking off QB's every practice? This guy is going to have a big year.

12. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +481 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

He doesn't make enough at his "day job" :p

13. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +129 / 1 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Re: Sanders ready to step it up

Some top notch journalism there. :rolleyes2: Way to fact check fellas. It's no wonder I come to this site for my news instead of newspapaers.

As far as Meriweather goes, watching him progress these first two years has been very cool, and I honestly think he will be mentioned in the same breath with Ed Reed in time.

14. NEGoldenAge

NEGoldenAge Banned

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Re: Sanders ready to step it up

That is high praise. Do you have any idea what BB could do with an Ed Reed? I hope you are right.

15. Solryn

Solryn Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I thought Meriweather did a pretty fantastic job last year of stepping up.

This year he's going to be a animal with interceptions if he can improve his hands. He had a few opportunities last year that just slipped through but at least he got a hand on those balls and knocked them down or away.

I personally didn't like Meriweather for his antics in college but he has turned it around and I'm starting to not mind that he's a Patriot.

16. CrazedChariot

CrazedChariot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This entire thread seems a bit homeristic to me...

Meriweather is developing into a solid contributor, but comparing him to Ed Reed is a joke.

Personally I think he was a bit of a dissapointment untill the last 6 games of of his 2nd season. Hopefully he will continue that trend, but lets see him reach top 5 safety status before we start comparing him to the best FS in the decade.

17. NE39

NE39 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He needs the extra money to put his kids through reform school.

18. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,254 / 46 / -16

I have thought that Meriweather has been a bit of a disapointment so far. I really hope he will step up this year since there are a lot of new pieces in the secondary this season. He will be needed to help bring some continuitity to the secondary. With Rodney gone, he will also need to step up.

I am hopeful, but not confident he will. Performing well in training camp is one thing, doing it in live action is another.

19. strongside

strongside Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -1

From what I have seen during TC this year is that there is no more hesitation in his game. He is so comfortable with the system that he no longer has to think before he reacts.

20. signbabybrady

Ratings:
    +299 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

just to clarify I said he could be a pro bowler if it were not for Ed Reed and Polamalu. There is a third spot but with the pro bowl being a popularity contest it might be tough for him to even score that spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.