PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather dealing with injuries this season? (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Meriweather dealing with injuries this season?

Woah, some of you people are being way too calm here. You mean we're not supposed to project a player's entire career after 9 games as a rookie on a deep, veteran filled team [where he wouldn't be starting and playing regularly]?? :D

Last edited:

Wilson, Hobbs, Samuel, and even Sanders (before his injury) all contributed in their rookie years. Guss Scott and Dexter Reid did not.

Wilson only contributed his rookie year (and was a surprising exception, because he played insanely well at a position he had never played at before) because of the ineptness of Antwan Harris in a 31-0 massacre on opening day.

Samuel only really played as a nickel back his rookie year. Poole and Law were the starters.

Scott was placed on IR prior to his rookie year.

I'll give you Hobbs, and add Randall Gay.

If you want a CB that did nothing his first couple years, try Nnamdi Asomugha. A surprise pick in the first round for the Raiders, I completely forgot about him until he turned into one of the best in the league last year.

For safeties, Sean Jones went on IR his first year, had a mediocre second year (stats were about where Meriweather's are now), then broke out last year and is one of the better safeties in the league at this point.

It happens quite a bit.

Wilson only contributed his rookie year (and was a surprising exception, because he played insanely well at a position he had never played at before) because of the ineptness of Antwan Harris in a 31-0 massacre on opening day.

Samuel only really played as a nickel back his rookie year. Poole and Law were the starters.

Scott was placed on IR prior to his rookie year.

I'll give you Hobbs, and add Randall Gay.

If you want a CB that did nothing his first couple years, try Nnamdi Asomugha. A surprise pick in the first round for the Raiders, I completely forgot about him until he turned into one of the best in the league last year.

For safeties, Sean Jones went on IR his first year, had a mediocre second year (stats were about where Meriweather's are now), then broke out last year and is one of the better safeties in the league at this point.

It happens quite a bit.
hobbs filled in because injuries..as did Gay

remember..Meriweather is learning to play Safety, nickel and corner..BB said ultimately..that will help him a lot

The last first-round rookie that was "surprisingly" good was Logan Mankins, who arrived in camp penciled in at the LG spot.

Maroney was essentailly bequethed the 2nd string RB job and he performed about what you would expect.

Now we have Meriweather, who folks here didn't know whether he was being taken as a CB or a S, and was virtually guanteed not to play much of either unless we had the usual spate of injuries in the secondary.

remember folks..Nelson started like week 5 but Jags secondary is in the bottom half of the league

Griffin didnt start till last week..previously he was just a KR

Titans drafted him because they needed him right away..and now he took the role from fuller or lowry..whoever.

How can anyone look at any player's rookie season and decide his entire future career. This is mind-boggling.

The only "conclusion" you can come to is that Meriweather has not been on the field a lot. You can't even conclude why. He might not be practicing well, might not be playing his position well, BB might prefer to go with veterans and bring him along, he could be a late bloomer, he could be less than NFL quality.

He could be any one of these, but to pick one say, "This is the reason" is ludicrous.

I'm not the one comparing the two. People consistently bring up Polumalu when discussing Meriweather. I just wanted to show that they had two very different rookie seasons with a little hyperbole.

I have said repeatly that I haven't drawn any conclusions about his future. I have just said that he has been a disapointment thus far. I do think we can come to the conclusion that he is struggling either to learn the playbook and his assignments or just not playing well is the reason he is losing playing time. With all these blowout situations and the uncertainty of the safety position next year, Belichick would be giving Meriweather playing opportunities if he thought he could handle it.

I have said repeatly that I haven't drawn any conclusions about his future. I have just said that he has been a disapointment thus far. I do think we can come to the conclusion that he is struggling either to learn the playbook and his assignments or just not playing well is the reason he is losing playing time. With all these blowout situations and the uncertainty of the safety position next year, Belichick would be giving Meriweather playing opportunities if he thought he could handle it.

Right on target. As a 1st rounder he has not shown much with JAGs like Baker ahead of him. There are 7 games plus the playoffs ahead. Let's see if he can up his PT and show us something.

I have an idea.....

Let's let his play on the field speak for itself!

WHAT play on the field?

True, he may improve next year. Our assessment of him must be tentative, subject to drifting up or down in the coming months and years. Right now, the temporary guess is: disappointment.

Ok, Todd McShay over at ESPN redid the 2007 draft based on the first half of the season and here is what he wrote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=3098817

What injuries is Meriweather dealing with? I don't remember him ever being on the injury report or even any rumors of injuries. I hope McShay is right in that it will explain his disapointing start of his NFL career.

I'm actually a little pissed at myself right now.

See, for a little while now I've had questions concerning Meriweather's health. I almost posted something about it three different times, but kept my mouth shut, as I didn't want to be the rumor starter. Anways, NE took AD off the injury report, even when he was still injured, so it shouldn't surprise any of you that they'd leave Meriweather off the report. His regression in playing time, and ability was a sign of this.

There is no patience in evaluation any more. A guy is either an all pro or a bust by his 8th game. It is completely unacceptable for a first rounder to be a solid contributor. Bust or HOF - no in between.

H

it's a product of our society. everything has become about instant gratification, and we simply don't have patience anymore. Really, it's kind of sad.

Based on? Again, the conventional wisdom was that Troy was a bust most of the way through his first year. All the "whispers" from league insiders intimated that Pitt was seriously questioning his mental grasp of the game.

Patience. I seem to recall BOR talking very highly of Baker at times last year. Maybe he is better than you think.

This is also what I've said, Baker has actually looked somewhat decent when out there this year.

Last edited:

Mcshay knows his stuff, but I don't know what he is talking about here. Merriweather has been dressed every game and is regularly seen on special teams. I'm surprised he hasn't seen the field more often. My guess is that the Pats have no need to rush him.

This is also what I've said, Baker has actually looked somewhat decent when out there this year.

considering Baker was getting ton of praise in minicamp,etc before getting hurt..

With regard to Meriweather, I point to Troy Polomalu. He was so bad in his rookie year that people midway through the year were wondering if he was going to be a bust. The light went on in that offseason and he has been a monster since then. Obviously there is no way to know whether Brandon is on that path, but, other than 2003, BB has historically been slower to incorporate rookies if there is another option.
Mankins??? Oh that was what year?? It does depend on many things..I am not worried about BM...he will be fine.

Meriweather has been bothered by injuries this season? Todd McShay thinks so...

Meriweather has been bothered by injuries this season, so it's completely unreasonable to evaluate him at this point. With that said, New England would think long and hard about trading in Meriweather for Jackson, who has proved to be a fourth-round steal for the Buccaneers.

Im lost on this one anyone know anything more?

Some of the excuses people make on this site boggle my mind. This is a first round draft choice we are talking about.

There is reason for concern. This kid should be on the field A LOT when we are blowing people out.

Re: Meriweather has been bothered by injuries this season? Todd McShay thinks so...

Meriweather has been bothered by injuries this season, so it's completely unreasonable to evaluate him at this point. With that said, New England would think long and hard about trading in Meriweather for Jackson, who has proved to be a fourth-round steal for the Buccaneers.

You are also lost in noticing we already have a thread about this.

That settles it, Meriweather is a bust.
Last years pick, Chad Jackson is a bust
Yea, and Maroney sucks too.

You got a great point there. :rolleyes:

Re: Meriweather has been bothered by injuries this season? Todd McShay thinks so...

its saying if the draft was redone..this is how it would've went (now that u see how good some of these players are)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye