PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mehta: Revis in Decline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, it would be great to have him. It would also be great if one of the "keep Revis" guys actually gave some ideas of where to get the money for him, instead of the Regular old "We would be better with Revis" routine.

I have to confess, I was the same way about Mankins, but Mevis is a different animal altogether. Just the fact that he couldn't attend the ring ceremony with his "team" and treated the ring like it was a package to be picked up by mommy at FedEx, pretty much said it all about him.

I think revis' best asset at this point is his reputation more than anything. Teams refuse to throw at him which allows him to essentially take away half a field.

Would i have him for 12-15million a year? Yeah...but i can see why the pats wouldn't match that salary.

And so far out defense as a whole this year may be better than last year.

Except you can't have him for $12-$15M a year. It's closer to $17M per year, with $39M guaranteed over the first 3 years. So even with your high bid, you can't afford him.

And a great cornerback is a wonderful asset, but it really doesn't guarantee much. Revis is 48-53 in his career without the Patriots and Tom Brady. Richard Sherman's Seahawks went 7-9 without Russell Wilson. Patrick Peterson is 18-24 without Carson Palmer. Aqib Talib is 27-37 without Brady and Manning. Joe Haden is 27-49 without...anyone.

Having an elite cornerback alone does not guarantee much in this league. Neither does having a dominant DL like Watt. So while these guys are incredible players, we should really appreciate having the GOAT at the most important position in the game for as long as we have. I'd rather have Tom Brady at QB than anyone else anywhere else. I take Brady over Revis + Watt. And if anyone deserved that kind of money, it's Tom.

He doesn't want that money, and that's a blessing for us. But he deserves it way more than Revis ever would.

Except you can't have him for $12-$15M a year. It's closer to $17M per year, with $39M guaranteed over the first 3 years. So even with your high bid, you can't afford him.

And a great cornerback is a wonderful asset, but it really doesn't guarantee much. Revis is 48-53 in his career without the Patriots and Tom Brady. Richard Sherman's Seahawks went 7-9 without Russell Wilson. Patrick Peterson is 18-24 without Carson Palmer. Aqib Talib is 27-37 without Brady and Manning. Joe Haden is 27-49 without...anyone.

Having an elite cornerback alone does not guarantee much in this league. Neither does having a dominant DL like Watt. So while these guys are incredible players, we should really appreciate having the GOAT at the most important position in the game for as long as we have. I'd rather have Tom Brady at QB than anyone else anywhere else. I take Brady over Revis + Watt. And if anyone deserved that kind of money, it's Tom.

He doesn't want that money, and that's a blessing for us. But he deserves it way more than Revis ever would.

You just won PatsFans. And the internet. And...Yahtzee!

I take Brady over Revis + Watt. And if anyone deserved that kind of money, it's Tom. He doesn't want that money, and that's a blessing for us. But he deserves it way more than Revis ever would.

And there ya have it. I think we should thank God that TB is so generous to the team. If TB wanted a salary close to what he is worth, not only would we not have Mevis, but we would not have a few other players and certainly a couple of big high priced guys would be too expensive.

Why cant people just be extremely thankful that we can field a deep competitive team every year with several pro bowl players and a few all-pro locks because TB plays for scale. And in additon, because we have had the ability to do that it has help make the team successful which in turn helps keep guys and attract others.

Amendola took a huge pay cut because he loves it here and knows that winning trumps all else.

Instead, people dwell on not having Mevis. SMH

Revis in 2009 or whenever played out of his mind. He sit down all the best receivers, or was close. I don't think he's ever been as good before or since. But he's still pretty damn good.

I heard he lost a race to one of my people. That may be just a rumor.

Considering he is under a big contract until 2020, stay tuned folks, 39,000,000 guaranteed. That is a lot of time to whine by the NY scribes..

Wasn't there always the adage that is it better to give up on a player a year early, rather than a year too late???

He was "slowing down" LAST year. Why do you think most of the times he was on the "route runners" such as Wayne etc? It's in no way meant to say he stinks because he doesn't. What it means is he's not worth the money. Nowhere close. He's being paid like he's 25. It will only get worse from here and thus I am glad, once I saw what he signed for, he decided to go to NY.
Last year, Revis was usually on the second receiver while the #1 was double teamed or bracketed.

Maybe pride or the Jets brain trust never noticed but transitioning back to covering #1's is a different animal.

Besides, the weakness in Revis' game has been crossing routes.

Sounds like a scheme problem more than a personnel problem.

Had to stop reading after about the fifth time Mehta implied, "Revis isn't GREAT great anymore, but he's still great....which isn't what he once was...but he's still very very good, I swear."

Revis appears to be suffering from the syndrome Suh is.... "IGOTPAIDAYADYS"

The disorder more often than not, affects players who have signed their last mega deal, and is causing euphoria in their brains which in turn affects signal transmitters to their muscles. The result is a slow deterioration in their play level, which eventually leads to restructuring, trades, and cuts.

I see a guy still in the top 5 but maybe no longer at his apex. Did I want NE to re-sign him? ABSOLUTELY. But did I want them to do it how he wanted them to do it? ABSOLUTELY NOT. It's just that simple. Age will catch up to him and I don't think he can make a Woodson or Woodson-like move to safety and seemingly forge a whole new HOF career. Those two could have made the Hall for CB AND S, which I feel there should be that distinction. Revis is likely done once his skills at CB completely erode, which could be as soon as next season. Now, I do believe he is a hard worker that will remain competitive for at least another three seasons, but I do not believe he will still be in the top 5 in three seasons.

This really isnt the same situation as a Semour, Mankins, Welker so that isnt applicable in a sense.

Who woulntt want Revis back there. But, who would you get rid of to keep him?
It was a thought over morning coffee, not a cap allocation discourse...

He's still a great CB but he's losing a step and will have problems with guys like Edelman for the rest of his career, however there is no corner I would rather have if you are facing players like Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, or Julio Jones. I think Belichick let the Jets outbid themselves and that contract will come back and bite them in the ass. In the meantime the Patriots will be able to lock up the defensive core for years to come.

Last edited:
Some comments on the comments:

1. Let's not forget the Pats WANTED him back, and made him a very competitive market offer.

2. Let's not forget that he was NEVER coming back here because Revis WANTED to end his career in NY, and the Jets let him know that they would top ANY deal the Pats offered long before the FA period began.

3. Convertedpatsfan gave us a HOF post by reminding us that like WR's, having great CB's don't make or break your team. Those stats on Peterson, Hayden, and Sherman are eyeopening.

4. Mehta is a NY media hack of the highest magnitude, but he isn't wrong in his opinion. Revis is still great, but he's not the greatest any longer. I believe he's worth every penny the Jets are paying him.....THIS year.

5. We are fans and thus are like 5 year olds in that when we want something we want it NOW. So it is natural that we would badly want Revis to stay because we have an attention span of a gnat. Fortunately the FO thinks more long term, and I think it should be clear to most that signing Revis (if that were even possible) would have had long term negative effects, even while we watched his skills slowly erode.

6. I believe Revis will ALWAYS be a starting NFL CB, even in the last year of his contract, but this will be the last year where he will worth the money his team is paying him.

I have watched Revis this year. He isn't the guy he was last year and certainly not the guy he was before he tore his ACL. He seems a bit heavier this year (ironically the same thing happened to Revis' good friend Ty Law) and it may be effecting him covering smaller quicker WRs like Edelman and Garcon. I wasn't as impressed with him on Sunday as others. He got burnt a few times and bailed out by drops.

That said, he is still a top CB in the league. I would take Talib over him right now and maybe one to three other CBs. He is no longer an island, but he is still damn good.

I don't think the Jets are getting their money's worth from Revis, but they were only going to get that if he was the 2009 Revis. I would be happy if he was playing for the Pats at what they reportedly offered him because he is still a top 3-5 CB. No way would I pay him close to starting QB money that the Jets paid him. He just isn't worth it anymore.

And people talking about him being worth it because of the Jets' turnaround are ignoring all the other things the Jets did this offseason. Fitzpatrick is not a great QB, but he is Brady compared to Geno Smith. Brandon Marshall is one of the top WRs in the league this year (I still think he will fall off down the stretch). Buster Skrine might be the best nickelback in the league. Tod Bowles is a big upgrade over Rex Ryan if nothing else for the simple fact he realizes his team has an offense that needs to be coached.

Not just Revis:

Browner: Getting torched as a CB2 in NO. If he wasn't sucking they would have a great pass defense with Breaux shutting down Julio Jones and others.

Arrington: Benched on maybe the worst pass defense in the NFL. He only played 3 snaps vs. Ariz. Not even a top 3 CB on the Ravens.

It's clear Browner & Arrington were system players. Ryan/Coleman have been just as good and are just 24/22 years old.

Butler isn't Revis and probably will never be. There is a chance he's better than Revis next year with a year 3 jump and Revis declining even more though.

But wow, how overrated was Revis/Browner/Arrington? All it really was was Revis + 2 system stiffs.

Last edited:
Four words for Revis:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results