PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo negotiations + OC interviews next week

Might also be aimed at other teams. Lets them know they can't knock on Mayo's door with DC offers anymore. May demotivate them from even trying to talk to him this offseason (and thus avoiding a potential negotiating/bidding war).

Just spitballing here.
Maybe. But at the end of the day, football is a business. If the team is mediocre, and attendance is suffering, revenue losses are the quickest way of getting the attention of ownership. But I’m also absolutely fine with them locking Mayo up.

DC, sit patient til BB retires then slide right in

Season 2 Agree GIF by Paramount+

It looks like they actually need to interview TWO external minority candidates. Doesn’t matter if the internal candidate is a minority or not. That is my interpretation.
We can ignore the updated language spread across the NFL.com website and go with language written likely before there were actual internal candidates I guess.
'
You may be right.

I’m pretty sure @venecol is on the right track; the Rooney Rule requires interviewing minority EXTERNAL candidates… it gets a little nebulous though since this position has been open for a while, so they could’ve already fulfilled these obligations at some point.
TWO external minority candidates, in fact. At first, this was only for HC candidates, but they later expanded it to cover coordinators and GMs as well. It is such dumb rule if the preferred candidate from the start is a minority inside of the organization, but that is the NFL for you.

Fan base. Empty seats tend to get the notice of the owner, who will then get the notice of the HC and GM to get his s.hit together.

But they'd already sent out a "We promise to change this **** up" email to the season ticket holders. That's what makes this even more bizarre than it would otherwise have been.

I don't think it matters. This came up when Bowles took over as HC in TB.
You may be right. The NFL is discouraging the grooming and promotion of teams own minority coaches. Weird.

You may be right. The NFL is discouraging the grooming and promotion of teams own minority coaches. Weird.
Now I'm confused. Do they or don't they still need to follow Rooney?

Ok, I said I may be wrong. It came up w/ Bowles, so maybe only for HC positions.
You may also right. I know a world with dumb NFL rules and this could be one of them.

But they'd already sent out a "We promise to change this **** up" email to the season ticket holders. That's what makes this even more bizarre than it would otherwise have been.
It’s just a follow-up to saturate the masses with good news that they know the masses want to hear. I wouldn’t put anything more into it than that.

Anyway, Mayo being interviewed for CAR HC job.

It’s just a follow-up to saturate the masses with good news that they know the masses want to hear. I wouldn’t put anything more into it than that.
Yea, that press release was hogwash.

This is ridiculously transparent for the Patriots. Kind of freaking me out.

I’m shocked at the Mayo news. It’s not a done deal but the fact that it’s being published makes it seem like it’s close to a done deal - it’s basically an announcement saying “he’s staying, his official title just hasn’t been stamped down yet.”

Seems like he’ll be the DC or maybe even more than that. Possible HC of the NEP in the future?

He’s been highly regarded as a player with an elite football mind since he first interviewed pre-draft with the Pats.

Might also be aimed at other teams. Lets them know they can't knock on Mayo's door with DC offers anymore. May demotivate them from even trying to talk to him this offseason (and thus avoiding a potential negotiating/bidding war).

Just spitballing here.
Carolina wants to interview him for HC vacancy. If I'm Mayo I wait for that before agreeing to anything.

The Panthers job is fairly unattractive. The only positive is that the division will be wide open due to Brady potentially leaving.

To keep him they probably need to name him Assistant Head Coach as well as Defensive Coordinator, with a clear path to succeed Belichick in a few years.

Glad to see Bill isn't pushing Steve as DC. Bill should also encourage his kids to find jobs on other teams as they will never garner enough respect if they only work for Bill.

Carolina wants to interview him for HC vacancy. If I'm Mayo I wait for that before agreeing to anything.
I think Denver too, right?

The problem is that this Rooney Rule requires all of these teams with HC openings to interview two external minority candidates so Mayo could unfortunately be one of the two boxes that need to be checked.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back