PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo negotiations + OC interviews next week

Almost like they're franchise-tagging Mayo. Helps him build his resume a bit better with a promotion. Win/Win.

Fantastic news if both are true . First piece of good news since the loss last weekend . I am really surprised they reported this as we know how tight lipped Bill can be !!!!

That’s quite an odd thing to officially publish. If Mayo isn’t on board with staying, it almost seems like something that could get him upset.

Great news on the OC front. Now QB coach and ST coach next…..
Hire a QB coach or promote within, transfer the QB coach back to bring to ST coordinator. Problem solved. At least we’re moving away from Fatt in an offensive role. I wonder if they’re going to keep him on in another role (sorry if that’s been answered)?

Fantastic news if both are true . First piece of good news since the loss last weekend . I am really surprised they reported this as we know how tight lipped Bill can be !!!!
This didn't come from Bill. This came from Jon and Bob.

There's no way in hell BB would have put out this press release. This was to calm and reassure the fanbase.

I’m pretty sure @venecol is on the right track; the Rooney Rule requires interviewing minority EXTERNAL candidates… it gets a little nebulous though since this position has been open for a while, so they could’ve already fulfilled these obligations at some point.

Mmmmm... No.

1673574606237.png

Makes you wonder whether the target audience was the fan base or the owner, and even if this was from ownership down, doesn't it?
Fan base. Empty seats tend to get the notice of the owner, who will then get the notice of the HC and GM to get his s.hit together.

This is definitely different, to see this kind of transparency. But we haven’t won a playoff game in 4 years and there are so many (justified) questions/complaints/concerns around the offense and the team in general. It’s refreshing as a fan and honestly I’m cautiously optimistic!

Fan base. Empty seats tend to get the notice of the owner, who will then get the notice of the HC and GM to get his s.hit together.
Agreed. It’s almost like they’re saying “we hear you” to the fans. There were quite a few empty seats when I was at Gillette earlier this season.

These aren’t all the rules, these are just recent changes.
So, if you have a qualified internal minority candidate you must not hire them until you bring in another external minority candidate?

Seems silly. I read what you are referring to, but my guess is the language is old and needs to be updated to exclude teams hiring from within.

Why would Patricia be GM when they have Groh? I don’t think that’s really in his wheelhouse.
Quote below from venecol

"The question is what happens with Patricia. Do they keep him as a consultant but gear him for a future GM role (God I hope not)?"

Might also be aimed at other teams. Lets them know they can't knock on Mayo's door with DC offers anymore. May demotivate them from even trying to talk to him this offseason (and thus avoiding a potential negotiating/bidding war).

Just spitballing here.

So, if you have a qualified internal minority candidate you must not hire them until you bring in another external minority candidate?

Seems silly. I read what you are referring to, but my guess is the language is old and needs to be updated to exclude teams hiring from within.
It looks like they actually need to interview TWO external minority candidates. Doesn’t matter if the internal candidate is a minority or not. That is my interpretation.

Why would Patricia be GM when they have Groh? I don’t think that’s really in his wheelhouse.
He was apparently heavily involved in contract negotiations last year. (Not to say he should be GM, merely that he has some experience there.)

He was apparently involved in contract negotiations last year.
I thought he was just doing paperwork. Didn’t know he was actually negotiating.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back