PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo negotiations + OC interviews next week

This is excellent news. This team had enough coaching talent drain the last few seasons. Good job Mr. Kraft for stopping the bleeding. I think this is Mr. Kraft telling Bill he needs to delegate and focus more time in the FO.

They can't just announce Mayo as DC, because I believe they still need to follow Rooney Rule and interview an outside candidate. I may be wrong on that.

Ideally, Mayo ends up being DC and Asst. HC. That would allow him to rely on Stephen but give him more access to FO stuff that a HC needs to know. He spoke last year about Bill teaching more FO stuff.

The question is what happens with Patricia. Do they keep him as a consultant but gear him for a future GM role (God I hope not)?

Can't wait to see who the OC candidates are. I would assume Caley is one of them.

This is excellent news. This team had enough coaching talent drain the last few seasons. Good job Mr. Kraft for stopping the bleeding. I think this is Mr. Kraft telling Bill he needs to delegate and focus more time in the FO.

They can't just announce Mayo as DC, because I believe they still need to follow Rooney Rule and interview an outside candidate. I may be wrong on that.

Ideally, Mayo ends up being DC and Asst. HC. That would allow him to rely on Stephen but give him more access to FO stuff that a HC needs to know. He spoke last year about Bill teaching more FO stuff.

The question is what happens with Patricia. Do they keep him as a consultant but gear him for a future GM role (God I hope not)?

Can't wait to see who the OC candidates are. I would assume Caley is one of them.
Gm role? Is this April fool's

Would he stay here as DC vs taking a HC job?

i think so, hes still relatively young for a coach and will cash in nicely as a coordinator.. would allow him to continue to refine his craft under BB and wait for an opportune head coaching position to open (maybe the Pats?!) at some point in not so distant future

patience is a virtue sometimes

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

So much for me saying the don’t react like the Red Sox. Holy chit man.

Hopefully we keep Covington if we do that and get outside offensive minds in the locker room we could really be building a great coaching staff.
I’m optimistic.

Gm role? Is this April fool's
I don think he wants to do that either once he retires. It’s a good gig for the typical coach, but it’s been said over and over that Bill’s passion is teaching. I think his dream retirement would be as a coaching consultant working with position groups and individual players.

Problem is, as Bill Belichick, it’s hard to have a role like that without it looking like he’s undermining whoever the head coach is. That is to say, the players would think the head coach is a figurehead and Belichick was in charge and treat the head coach that way. Even if it wasn’t true.

I have a feeling Mayo would be an awesome HC in the future. If he really is the next in line I'm excited.

I’m pretty sure @venecol is on the right track; the Rooney Rule requires interviewing minority EXTERNAL candidates… it gets a little nebulous though since this position has been open for a while, so they could’ve already fulfilled these obligations at some point.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back