Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Maximize Health or Maximize Seeding ~ What's Your Top Priority?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
100% true.

It's amazing how people on here have such little confidence in a healthy NE squad after everything they've accomplished since week 4 of last year.

I don't have confidence they'll actually be healthy. Nor do I have confidence that players who missed weeks will magically show up not missing a beat as if nothing had happened. And we're not getting Lewis, Blount, and Solder back, either.

Brady has a 2-6 record when playing in Denver. I don't see how playing there would be a cake walk for us, especially with several of our players returning from injuries

What do those games have to do with this season? If Edelman, Amendola, Gronk, Hightower, Chung, McCourty, are all healthy and able to go for a full game, this would easily be the best team we've ever taken into Denver.

I don't have confidence they'll actually be healthy. Nor do I have confidence that players who missed weeks will magically show up not missing a beat as if nothing had happened. And we're not getting Lewis, Blount, and Solder back, either.

Sucks for you then.

100% true.

It's amazing how people on here have such little confidence in a healthy NE squad after everything they've accomplished since week 4 of last year.

There's no reason to fear going into any stadium with a healthy team - including and especially Denver (who has lost 2 of their last 4 playoff home games.)

You're forgetting/overlooking the thin air element. The donkeys might possibly have the biggest home field advantage with topology being their own 12th man. Every opposing defense, by the third quarter is playing on fumes, practically gassed out (no pun intended). We can have the healthiest squad going out there and it would still put a dent in our team's performance. I do agree that a healthy Pats squad should be able to deal with any AFC opponent on the road, EXCEPT for the Broncos. Not because of their team but because of their high altitude venue. There's a reason why we haven't had a win in that stadium for YEARS - it's called 'high altitude'.

I think they will get Edelman, Amendola, Vollmer, McCourty, and Chung back in reasonably good condition and Hightower will be better off than he is now, and that will be good enough to get them a Lombardi if they don't go back down. Then again I'm an optimist.

You're forgetting/overlooking the thin air element. The donkeys might possibly have the biggest home field advantage with topology being their own 12th man. Every opposing defense, by the third quarter is playing on fumes, practically gassed out (no pun intended). We can have the healthiest squad going out there and it would still put a dent in our team's performance. I do agree that a healthy Pats squad should be able to deal with any AFC opponent on the road, EXCEPT for the Broncos. Not because of their team but because of their high altitude venue. There's a reason why we haven't had a win in that stadium for YEARS - it's called 'high altitude'.

The reason they haven't won there in years is because they were decimated by injuries the last two times they played there. The last time they took a healthy squad to Denver they embarrassed the Broncos.

Again, the Broncos are only 2-2 at home in their last 4 playoff games, despite being favored in each one. That's nothing to be afraid of.

I think they will get Edelman, Amendola, Vollmer, McCourty, and Chung back in reasonably good condition and Hightower will be better off than he is now, and that will be good enough to get them a Lombardi if they don't go back down. Then again I'm an optimist.

Again, people forgetting/overlooking the thin air element. Bengals D which played lights out in the first half yesterday, was absolutely putrid by the middle of the third quarter. This has nothing to do with Denver the team. It has everything to do with Denver - the geographic location.

The reason they haven't won there in years is because they were decimated by injuries the last two times they played there. The last time they took a healthy squad to Denver they embarrassed the Broncos.

Again, the Broncos are only 2-2 at home in their last 4 playoff games, despite being favored in each one. That's nothing to be afraid of.
Sorry, we're far from being 100% to do anything meaningful there. I'd rather take my chances and go for seeding.

Luckily for us, we're playing the Dolphins next week. We should be able to manhandle them without dola, squirrel, Hightower, McCourty, and Chung.

However, I would activate and suit them up, but keep then on the sidelines, and be available in case we run into any issues towards the end of the game. Seeding, in light of last night's Denver win is absolutely paramount.

Again, people forgetting/overlooking the thin air element. Bengals D which played lights out in the first half yesterday, was absolutely putrid by the middle of the third quarter. This has nothing to do with Denver the team. It has everything to do with Denver - the geographic location.

I'm not worried in the least about it the Patriots will be playing the Broncos not the atmosphere, and the Patriots will play Brady and beat Miami so it won't be in Denver anyways.

Belichick has played in Denver many times and he doesn't, think the atmosphere it's a factor, and he's on record about that. If he thought it mattered he would take them out early and have them adjust to it.

Bingo. White is not Lewis, but he is capable of at least giving the team what Vereen gave them. Get the other mentioned guys back and the offense is in good shape.

Belichick has played in Denver many times and he doesn't, think the atmosphere it's a factor, and he's on record about that. If he thought it mattered he would take them out early and have them adjust to it.

You think BB would go on record, blaming atmospheric environment for a loss? - that would be pure sour grapes full of excuse juices. OF COURSE he would go on record and come up with every possible scenario, such as bad playing, coaching, penalties, etc. - that had cost them the game, EXCEPT for saying something that would come across as an excuse. Seattle has noise, Denver has thin air. It's a HUGE factor. Last night's game is the latest attestment. Bengals D was out of gas by the middle of the third quarter after shutting down the Broncos offense for the beter part of the first half. Their lineman and linebackers were seen getting off the field barely able to breath.

Last edited:
You guys do realize that the human body is able to adjust to altitude, correct? That pro athletes, in particular, can be taken to that altitude earlier than normal and adjust? I didn't see too many people citing the altitude when Baltimore lit them up in 2012 and the Pats pasted them in 2011 or when Indy took them out in 2014. In the end, the better team will always win.

Seeding vs. Health?

I'll take both ;)

No reason we can't be more effective than last week on both sides of the ball, while taking it easy on most/all of the players who are injured.

Yes, of course. We all want that.

But that wasn't the Question. ;)

In a perfect world, we'll be able to go up about 10-13 by the half and hit the cruise control button. To answer your question, I'd have to go for the #1 seed. We always want to have the postseason games come through Gillette. Now, if there's a question about certain guys like Edelman/Amendola being straight up 50/50 for the week and you could potentially injure them for the playoffs, then you have to take it easy and choose "health." Like I said though, I can't imagine Coach Belichick choosing not to balance the two, as he's done plenty of years prior.

Seeding

#1) I believe its simply much harder for refs to butcher calls in front of the home fans. Sure you can do it - but you don't really want too. On the road - its easy. Muff a call - and you get cheers.

#2)HFA advantage is significant. Getting to spend time in your home area - instead of in Denver.. The high altitude etc - this are all things that hurt a team.

#3) Not playing in a game is not a cure all. Guys have to practice and get into game shape anyway.. If you aren't healthy those steps are impossible. If say Edelman is good to go - he needs to play. You can't take weeks off and step into the game at top levels. I'd rather have a guy look rusty now.. Then sit a guy and hope he magically plays rust free..just to be 'safe'.

Seeding

#1) I believe its simply much harder for refs to butcher calls in front of the home fans. Sure you can do it - but you don't really want too. On the road - its easy. Muff a call - and you get cheers.

#2)HFA advantage is significant. Getting to spend time in your home area - instead of in Denver.. The high altitude etc - this are all things that hurt a team.

#3) Not playing in a game is not a cure all. Guys have to practice and get into game shape anyway.. If you aren't healthy those steps are impossible. If say Edelman is good to go - he needs to play. You can't take weeks off and step into the game at top levels. I'd rather have a guy look rusty now.. Then sit a guy and hope he magically plays rust free..just to be 'safe'.

Agreed. The one concern I'd have for a guy like Edelman would be the relatively quick turnaround with the injury. We saw Dez Bryant miss 7 weeks and he is still dealing with the foot issue, having had a miserable year where Brandon LaFell actually has more catches.

I personally wouldn't rush Edelman back, especially with the bye approaching where he can have 2 more weeks rest.

Jason Garrett: Dez Bryant to have more tests on ailing foot

Agreed. The one concern I'd have for a guy like Edelman would be the relatively quick turnaround with the injury. We saw Dez Bryant miss 7 weeks and he is still dealing with the foot issue, having had a miserable year where Brandon LaFell actually has more catches.

I personally wouldn't rush Edelman back, especially with the bye approaching where he can have 2 more weeks rest.

Jason Garrett: Dez Bryant to have more tests on ailing foot

Assuming Jules isn't sufficiently healthy therefore unwise to play him all game but he is healthy enough to be cleared to play and practices all week, I wouldn't mind seeing him get a handful of snaps. Let's get the 'a month of no playing leads to a few drops' drops out of his system now.:)

But as you mentioned in another post BB will balance as needed. He/the team definitely and distinctly want to win this game and will pull out all reasonable stops to get it done. These guys know the important score: traveling vs being home. BB is going to put guys out there healthy enough to play, limit snaps for those good enough to play but still not quite right, completely hold back players who still need time to get close enough to right (maybe Jules).

++Patriots possible opponents in 17 days (assuming Pitt doesn't make it): Cincy, Houston, KC, Jets.
++Patriots 3 losses with varying levels of significant depletion of production: Jets in NY taken into OT, Denver in Denver taken into OT, the Philly 24 points xmas gift game where the Patriots still had last possession power to take it into OT. This team is so operationally functional that even player depletion does not equal no chance at victory up until the end of the game.

To me this clearly spells that the Patriots in Foxboro even with a first game out rusty Jules, rusty DA, rusty Chung, rusty McCourty, rusty Vollmer is > all WC opponents (with a noted exception of KC due to the unknown). Bottom line: as long as the Patriots don't beat themselves a la Philly game, if we have to hold guys out this Sunday and bring them back for their first game in weeks at the AFC Div round, we will still take care of business. What it means for the AFCCG is TBD.

I don't want to play in Denver, f that city, f that stadium and their hillbilly ignorant fans suffering from a lack of oxygen.

The Pats can take anyone at home. They can take every other team on the road but playing in Denver is the worst case scenario. Treat this week like a playoff game because the advantage gained from winning is enormous. The Pats will crush the Broncos in Gillette, in Denver it would be close. Too close when you have these crooked refs determining the outcome of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes