PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matthew Slater hired by the Pats to be Mayo's "right hand man"

What is the actual job title though? It kind of sounds like assistant head coach?

Regardless I’m happy to have the guy with the staff, amazing character. Surprised he took a full time role so soon, thought he would take a little more time off first.

What is the actual job title though? It kind of sounds like assistant head coach?

Regardless I’m happy to have the guy with the staff, amazing character. Surprised he took a full time role so soon, thought he would take a little more time off first.

Slater will be 39 at the start of the season. If he has designs of being a head coach someday, he doesn't have the luxury of taking a year or two off before starting his coaching career. There are guys his age and younger getting head coaching jobs. Mayo is like six months younger than him and he was fast tracked to being a head coach.

One of the disadvantages of having such a long successful career means he lost time building a post career.

The term right hand man brings up one of two guys from the previous regime, either Berj or Ernie. Either one seems like a great place for Slater to start out as a coach. I think this gives him a chance to start coaching without putting him on a track as just a STs coach. I just like the idea of him on our staff.

The term right hand man brings up one of two guys from the previous regime, either Berj or Ernie. Either one seems like a great place for Slater to start out as a coach. I think this gives him a chance to start coaching without putting him on a track as just a STs coach. I just like the idea of him on our staff.

or Jesus

In major league baseball, the manager has a bench coach that he speaks to regularly on a daily basis. With Mayo being a new head coach, perhaps he will lean on Slater in a similar way. Plus Mayo will have his hands full ramping up to his new duties; he can offload some tasks, including some player interactions to Slater.

Just a guess.

i love this hire. i know the boston media wants to poor cold water on our hires but i like 'em. avp mcadoo hightower covington even wolf.

Wait....I thought they shouldn't have friends and family?

Smart PR move.

Kraft has gotten killed by the Dynasty reaction, the FA and lack of spending.

Slater is a fan favorite and Belichick guy.

Judging by Slater's comments on Edelman's podcast, he is aware of the change in generations and sees it as an opportunity to adapt rather than lament. Hopefully, that attitude bodes well for this role.

Ernie never could play so he was on the coaching/research/strategy side full-time from the start. He was 50 when he was brought in by BB to do his part in Dynasty 1.

Can't think that any player (especially one who didn't play offense or defense) can retire at 40 and be what Ernie was. Not saying Slater can't/won't contribute, just that the Ernie comparison might not be the best.

Ernie never could play so he was on the coaching/research/strategy side full-time from the start. He was 50 when he was brought in by BB to do his part in Dynasty 1.

Can't think that any player (especially one who didn't play offense or defense) can retire at 40 and be what Ernie was. Not saying Slater can't/won't contribute, just that the Ernie comparison might not be the best.
Vrable could have. I can’t think of anyone else.

Not sure what the job will entail but I do think it was a great move to retain Slaters presence on the team somewhere.

He may not be on the field. But at least he will give the coaches and players some much needed guidance. He could had gone either into broadcasting or coaching.

It would never work with a player to retire and return to the same team as a coach the next year, with all his teammates now "under" him. Except for Slater - who was basically a chaplin and asst. coach the last couple years anyway. I hope he can help

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back