PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Light has retired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quality depth is what is needed, especially at OT. What happens if Vollmer can't play again because of his back?

That means your RT is Marcus Cannon, presumably.

Class act. Will miss his sense of humor.

Class act. Will miss his sense of humor.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets to show that off on the air in the near future. Guy has all the makings of a good analyst/on-air personality.

Matt was practicing BB's philosophy of "better a year too soon, than a year too late". It probably is too soon for him, but he's a smart guy with a lot of personality, who has saved his money. His next life will be just as good. I wish him the best.

I think the Pats will be fine with Solder, Volmer and Cannon for starters at OT. Plus Mankins, Waters and Gallery have all played OT in the past. Certainly a lot better situation than the Jets have right now. ;l)

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets to show that off on the air in the near future. Guy has all the makings of a good analyst/on-air personality.

He will either be on locally or on ESPN (since they tape in CT, they usually attract local former players) next season. There is little doubt about that.

Put him on one of the radio shows. He is an immediate upgrade to about 90% of the guys on the air.

Sad to hear that he is retiring, been a great player for us!

A true Patriot!

Matt was practicing BB's philosophy of "better a year too soon, than a year too late". It probably is too soon for him ...

True, through I bet if he'd retired this time last year, a lot of folks — maybe even some here — would have said it was a year too late!

Last edited:
He will either be on locally or on ESPN (since they tape in CT, they usually attract local former players) next season. There is little doubt about that.

Put him on one of the radio shows. He is an immediate upgrade to about 90% of the guys on the air.
Given what's available on the air these days, I think your 90% estimate is far too conservative. Hell, 99% might be too conservative. Light's a very bright, well-spoken guy with a marvelous sense of humor, particularly the self-deprecating side (which is non-existent around these airwaves). I'll miss him a lot and hope (and believe) you're right about him ending up on-air.

So if the whole media world and fanbase know that Light is going to retire..

BUT...

He is not willing to discuss it or admit it right now, (but admittedly will talk about it 'sooner' rather than 'later'), like maybe in about 2 weeks?

Does that point to any reasoning???

There has to be a very good reason why Light is not willing to admit it right now, yet everyone already seems to know this for fact.

Good luck and thanks Matt, you had a helluva career here!

OL is still NOT a need.

OT: Solder, Vollmer, Cannon
OG: Mankins, Waters, Gallery
C: Koppen, Connolly

Competition: Mcdonald, Thomas, Wendell

Definitely a sad day for New England.
I was one of those that criticized Matt at times. Hey, he did have some moments but overall he was great player for us, no doubt and he will be missed.

in all likelihood, Light is retiring, but i'm gonna toss this out there for consideration:

Could the silence about retirement be a way of getting the team to pony up more $$$ for this season? Maybe there is a bit of a showdown behind the scenes. I know his cap hit is about $6M, but he's only getting about $3.5M in cash on 2012. (forgive me for characterizing it as 'only', but based on market rates for LTs...)

Could Light be asking/expecting the team to extend him, with more guaranteed $$$...?

Last edited:
I'm gonna toss this out there for consideration:

Could the silence about retirement be a way of getting the team to pony up more $$$ for this season? Maybe there is a bit of a showdown behind the scenes. I know his cap hit is about $6M, but he's only getting about $3.5M in cash on 2012. (forgive me for characterizing it as 'only', but based on market rates for LTs...)

Could Light be asking/expecting the team to extend him, with more guaranteed $$$...?

Not a chance. Word was that if he didn't retire, the Pats wanted him to redo his deal to make it more advantageous for the Patriots. No chance would they give him more money.

The Pats already got a contingency plan for Light's retirement. Light has little leverage in such a power play.

He got a lot of wrath from Pats fans over the years,but he truly was the leader on the OL for over a decade and he will certainly be in the Pats HOF very soon.

A Very Solid Player
&
A Very Good Person

It's always sad to see guys like him, who have symbolized such a glorious stage, retire. Good luck to him in his new life.

What a great 2011. Light was a Pat HOFer and will be sorely missed.
Vaya con Dios, amigo.

Not a chance. Word was that if he didn't retire, the Pats wanted him to redo his deal to make it more advantageous for the Patriots. No chance would they give him more money.

The Pats already got a contingency plan for Light's retirement. Light has little leverage in such a power play.

Not sure I agree that the Pats would or could lessen his deal. After a borderline All-Pro season (IMO) there is little justification for Light to play for less than his modest contract.

If he were free to shop himself right now, there are probably a half dozen teams that would step up with far more than $3.5M that Light will pocket. Light's leverage, albeit not strong, is that he presents a far better cost/value than any replacement. Given Vollmer's continuing back woes, it is better to have three quality OTs. Heck, if you could entice him to play two more seasons then he provides leverage against Vollmer's negotiation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe