PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marquise Hill, Mike Wright, or Santonio Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTS-80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Okay. Everyone knows that Seymour, Warren, Green and Wilfork are roster locks. BB said he is looking at rookie Le Kevin Smith at NT first, and then DE. That's 5 guys. If he carries 6, which player in the title do you think should make the squad. Wright is more of a NT, and Hill is more of a DE.

We'll need atleast 3 DT, and 4 de's. With that being said, i would go with this squad.

LDE-Warren,Hill
RDE-Seymour,Green
NT-Wilfork,Wright,Smith

That would be my squad. Good versatility, size and extreme power. I would be very happy with that group.

holyredeemer said:
We'll need atleast 3 DT, and 4 de's. With that being said, i would go with this squad.

LDE-Warren,Hill
RDE-Seymour,Green
NT-Wilfork,Wright,Smith

That would be my squad. Good versatility, size and extreme power. I would be very happy with that group.

I don't see the need for 3 NTs.

There won't be enough roster room to carry 7 DLs, unless Klecko squeezes onto the roster and also plays FB and LB.

Last edited:
PATRIOTS-80 said:
Okay. Everyone knows that Seymour, Warren, Green and Wilfork are roster locks. BB said he is looking at rookie Le Kevin Smith at NT first, and then DE. That's 5 guys. If he carries 6, which player in the title do you think should make the squad. Wright is more of a NT, and Hill is more of a DE.

He'll carry 6.
Smith vs Wright for one backup NT.
My bigest concern is Hill. Great size. Done nothing so far for 2 seasons. That's still OK if he performs this training camp. That's why they hold camp.

PatsWickedPissah said:
He'll carry 6.
Smith vs Wright for one backup NT.
My bigest concern is Hill. Great size. Done nothing so far for 2 seasons. That's still OK if he performs this training camp. That's why they hold camp.

Again, when has Hill gotten enough playing time to even show anything? He has the best defensive lineman in the league in front of him, as well as a damn solid one in Warren and a third down rusher in Green. Hill is more of a run-stopping guy.

Smith looks like the odd man out, but again, the Pats think he is worth looking at. The problem with DL is that the Pats are so strong there, IMHO. But then again, how many first round (and first day) picks do they have locked up there?

I want to see Hill trusted in the rotation this season, to see whether he is the Seymour clone they were praying for when they drafted him. Maybe he isn't showing enough in practice to get into a game. Or just maybe he's playing behind the best DL in the league, with one of the best backup guys to boot (Green).

Speaking of Green, he's got big cap numbers, which must mean the Pats expect big things... though I cannot imagine them cutting loose any of the "starters" in the 3-4 set. Maybe LeKevin gets a look, but unless he crazy wows the Pats' staff, I don't see there being room for him.

PFnV

Not a single guaranteed spot after the first 4.

Wright made the squad last year despite Klecko holding a spot.

IMO any defensive linemen that really show something in camp can win a spot because we need affordable players to give the starters a blow.

A backup Nose is the obvious need. After that, players are going to have to prove their worth in training camp.

PatsFanInVa said:
Smith looks like the odd man out, but again, the Pats think he is worth looking at. The problem with DL is that the Pats are so strong there, IMHO. But then again, how many first round (and first day) picks do they have locked up there?

I want to see Hill trusted in the rotation this season, to see whether he is the Seymour clone they were praying for when they drafted him. Maybe he isn't showing enough in practice to get into a game. Or just maybe he's playing behind the best DL in the league, with one of the best backup guys to boot (Green).

It's the second one. He's on just about every goal line set. There's no real DL rotation because, well, guys like Seymour shouldn't be on the bench. He's an every-down player. The only rotation comes on third down, when Warren and Wilfork go out and Green comes in to pass-rush. Hill is much more of a running down player.

Last edited:
RayClay said:
A backup Nose is the obvious need. After that, players are going to have to prove their worth in training camp.
I agree...after the 4..a backup nose is the next priority...Smith or Thomas here..I believe...or Ayodele, but that is a real longshot.
Wright is slotted to backup Warren, so it may be a battle with Hill. Wright can play ST as he is VERY quick..fast.
Can Klecko find any spot??? Will they give up on Hill?? Is Smith readu as a rook to backup Wilfork???
Interesting battles...Drame and Ayodele are more projects..but eith3r may be an interesting player in time.

RayClay said:

Wright made the squad last year despite Klecko holding a spot.

IMO any defensive linemen that really show something in camp can win a spot because we need affordable players to give the starters a blow.

Completely agree!!

pats1 said:
Again, when has Hill gotten enough playing time to even show anything? He has the best defensive lineman in the league in front of him, as well as a damn solid one in Warren and a third down rusher in Green. Hill is more of a run-stopping guy.

Hill had PT in pre-season. He took plays off. Watch the games.

I think Mike Wright makes the team. Didn't BB cut Rodney Bailey last year but keep Mike Wright? Or am I wrong about that?

BB took a flyer on Bethel Johnson just to get some speed but seemed to feel he had a major inside scoop when they took Hill. Both of these guys came in via the second round and I simply cannot imagine two high round picks being cut yet - especially in the same preseason. Hill would have to be an absolute disaster to axed at this point. While he hasn't been on the field very much, which in itself is fairly concerning, he will get a solid regular season look before he is cut loose so your rosters have to include him unless he goes on IR.

Mike Wright appears to born to be a Patriot, I hope he can muster enough talent to live up to his attitude because it seems he'd be a great guy to be able to keep around.

LeKevin stays but as a project - he's fit to IR'ed any day now!!!

RayClay's "Not a single guaranteed spot after the first 4," comment is off by one - it's after the first 5 that nothing is certain...

Brady'sButtBoy said:
BB took a flyer on Bethel Johnson just to get some speed but seemed to feel he had a major inside scoop when they took Hill. Both of these guys came in via the second round and I simply cannot imagine two high round picks being cut yet - especially in the same preseason. Hill would have to be an absolute disaster to axed at this point. While he hasn't been on the field very much, which in itself is fairly concerning, he will get a solid regular season look before he is cut loose so your rosters have to include him unless he goes on IR.

Mike Wright appears to born to be a Patriot, I hope he can muster enough talent to live up to his attitude because it seems he'd be a great guy to be able to keep around.

LeKevin stays but as a project - he's fit to IR'ed any day now!!!

RayClay's "Not a single guaranteed spot after the first 4," comment is off by one - it's after the first 5 that nothing is certain...

I think Hill was Seymour insurance, and I agree he's likely to look pretty good once he is on the field.

Bethel wasn't a "flyer." You don't use your 2 on a flyer. He was a guy they expected a lot from by now... I don't think they cut him this year, but it's now or never (although maybe he does lose his job in camp... he is on the bubble.)

Bottom line though, I think they both make the cut - for now.

PFnV

PatsWickedPissah said:
Hill had PT in pre-season. He took plays off. Watch the games.

Who took plays off? Hill or Seymour?

If Seymour took plays off, it's the preseason. Obviously he's not going to play much.

pats1 said:
Who took plays off? Hill or Seymour?

If Seymour took plays off, it's the preseason. Obviously he's not going to play much.
Hill. Where did I mention Sey?

PatsFanInVa said:
I think Hill was Seymour insurance, and I agree he's likely to look pretty good once he is on the field.

Bethel wasn't a "flyer." You don't use your 2 on a flyer. He was a guy they expected a lot from by now... I don't think they cut him this year, but it's now or never (although maybe he does lose his job in camp... he is on the bubble.)

Bottom line though, I think they both make the cut - for now.

While I doubt that either Hill or Bethel were flyer players, I seriously doubt that BB is going to cut a guy that performs better just to keep a second round pick. I doubt he is all that concerned with be right on every draft pick as he is about being right on the cut downs. Wright could very well beat out Hill. As for Bethel, I would say he was really on the bubble, but the WR corp is a bit thin for to many to be there.

How many more day till training camp again?

14thDragon said:
How many more day till training camp again?

I have begun to see CFL, Arena League, and NFLE as the Methadone of our time.

On a related note - I read last week that one NFLE proposal to increase interest was a closer alignment (somehow, but not specified) of NFLE teams with their NFL cousins has been suggested. I think it would be cool to have an NFLE team I could really ROOT for, year after year (like if Amsterdam were the AFC East team in the NFLE - at least some of those guys would be Pats.)

I just want to go to bed now and wake up in September.

PFnV

PatsWickedPissah said:
Hill. Where did I mention Sey?

So you mean Hill took off plays figuratively then, right?

PatsFanInVa said:
On a related note - I read last week that one NFLE proposal to increase interest was a closer alignment (somehow, but not specified) of NFLE teams with their NFL cousins has been suggested. I think it would be cool to have an NFLE team I could really ROOT for, year after year (like if Amsterdam were the AFC East team in the NFLE - at least some of those guys would be Pats.)
I just want to go to bed now and wake up in September.
PFnV
I wonder if thy would do that.. That would be interesting..but wouldn't it be better if the East teams were NOT on the same club, but divided amongst the teams?? So that rivals with the parent clubwould also be there with the NFLE??? I would add two teams to make 8...so that 4 NFL clubs would be connected with each team...but a NE--Tenn--Pitts--KC may be connected with one team for instance....NYG---Atl---Minn---St Lou with another and??? So that East players are not with one team..etc. Just an idea..I really like that.. GOOD idea..I also heard something about developing national players whwo MIGHT stay with a team more in off season.
But I agree..a good idea!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back