PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney: "The Best Is Yet To Come"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully they'll trade him to a team that will give him a chance. If he's below Morris and Green-Ellis that's a joke.

Maybe they're just keeping him fresh for the second half of the season after Morris and Taylor, inevitably, get hurt.

He's definitely not below Morris and BJGE. He's the only really known commodity in the Patriots offense of the 4 RBs.

Moss -> Cassel -> Maroney. He's a lock.

Last edited:
He's definitely not below Morris and BJGE. He's the only really known commodity in the Patriots offense of the 4 RBs.
I don't think he is - I don't see how he can be - but I fear that he is. In my perfect world, Maroney and Taylor have an appropriate share of the ball, Morris and BJGE make for nice backups. But I worry as Maroney is the only one without a start now.

Maybe they're just keeping him fresh for the second half of the season after Morris and Taylor, inevitably, get hurt.

Why not take it a step further? Rest Maroney for the entire regular season, so he'll be super fresh for the playoffs when we'll REALLY need him! :rolleyes:

Moss -> Cassel -> Maroney. He's a lock.

He's known for getting injured and producing mediocre numbers. That much is true.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MaroLa00.htm

Last edited:
I don't think he is - I don't see how he can be - but I fear that he is. In my perfect world, Maroney and Taylor have an appropriate share of the ball, Morris and BJGE make for nice backups. But I worry as Maroney is the only one without a start now.

It's preseason, there hasn't been a year they haven't given Maroney the ball 170+ times except for when he broke his shoulder. BJGE got 26 total carries last year even though Taylor and Morris were sidelined for chunks of the year. It's highly unlikely that he found some magic in the offseason to suddenly fly up the depth chart. Personally, I think BJGE is hanging on by a thread right now and might end up as a casualty.

I understand how odd it seems on the surface, and I did expect Maroney to get some carries last night, but then again as BB said "we never had the ball". 11 total carries.

SO true!

I'm having a hard time splainin to my wife why LoMo isn't geting any carries though.

I just posted this in another thread, but you can use it to ease the wife's concerns:

Fred Taylor: 0 carries last night, 11 carries all offseason
Maroney: 0 carries last night, 8 carries all offseason

Are the Patriots going to cut both players?

I just posted this in another thread, but you can use it to ease the wife's concerns:

I just read somewhere else you can add Faulk to that list with 3 carries in pre season...

I will literally eat a crow if Maroney gets cut. The speculation that his roster spot is in danger is based on nothing.

That said Fred Taylor has, in his limited chances in the past season+, looked very good and run very hard. I'd like to see a timeshare between the two, to keep each other fresh. But I think they are both capable of 4+ YPC.

Last edited:
I will literally eat a crow if Maroney gets cut. The speculation that his roster spot is in danger is based on nothing.

That said Fred Taylor has, in his limited chances in the past season+, looked very good and run very hard. I'd like to see a timeshare between the two, to keep each other fresh. But I think they are both capable of 4+ YPC.

literally?

I don't believe he will be cut either, but literally?

I know it's only preseason, but 276 rushing yards in three games is kind of anemic. And that's for the whole team.

Last edited:
literally?

I don't believe he will be cut either, but literally?

Yes - I am that certain.

This goes under the assumption that to eat a crow would be rather unpleasant - which I think is a safe assumption given the existence of the phrase.

Last edited:
Frankly I'm just gobsmacked that anyone would think BB would go into the season with two guys who are almost guaranteed to get injured and a bottom of the barrel scrub who hasn't shown anything against starting competition.

As I just pointed out in another thread:

This is not the first time we've seen the Patriots resting Maroney during exhibition seasons.

Last year, Maroney started only week 1 and had only 16 carries all exhibition season.

In 2007, Maroney only played in week 3, carrying the ball 15 times.

I don't know what BB's thinking, although I certainly don't think that Maroney's getting cut. Anything's possible, so the bashers are out in force.

I missed that. Touche, sir.

WEEI was just harping on the absence of Maroney in the game, so I emailed the info to them. It probably won't shut them up about it, but maybe they'll at least take it under consideration.

Rumor Central - all they do is regurgitate other people's speculation. All is says is that Brace injured his ankle and Maroney's role is unclear.

That's what I figured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back