PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney the #3 Offensive player in the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
By drafting Maroney at #21, BB revealed that LM was the #3 offensive prospect on the Pats’ board (skill position).
Offensive players drafted:
#2) Bush
#6) V. Davis
#21) Maroney
Every other player drafted before Maroney was either a defensive player or a QB. With this in mind, the Pats must have considered him a steal at #21. No wonder BB seemed giddy in his Day One interview, like he could hardly restrain himself.

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
By drafting Maroney at #21, BB revealed that LM was the #3 offensive prospect on the Pats’ board.
#2) Bush
#6) V. Davis
#21) Maroney
Every other player drafted before Maroney was either a defensive player or a QB. With this in mind, the Pats must have considered him a steal at #21. No wonder BB seemed giddy in his Day One interview, like he could hardly restrain himself.

Are you saying they had Maroney higher than D'Brickashaw and Vernon Davis?

workhorse said:
Are you saying they had Maroney higher than D'Brickashaw and Vernon Davis?

I'm sure he meant non-linemen. And he lists V. Davis as #2 (picked 6th).

He's got an interesting insight there....

Indeed you forgot Ferguson...there was no WR or second RB choosen until late in the first round, which the Pats got the second RB....by now means the third offensive player.

Vince Young?
Matt Leinart?
Jay Cutler?

Patriotic Fervor said:
I'm sure he meant non-linemen. And he lists V. Davis as #2 (picked 6th).

He's got an interesting insight there....

Oops overlooked Davis. Though it's kind of tough to rank offensive players when you throw out linemen and QBs. All you are left with is WRs, TEs and RBs.

Last edited:
no, he is saying behind Davis but higher than Furgeson. Which, I agree with.

Depending on you draft philosophy and needs of your team, RB could be considered more valuable than T given the amount you have to spend on a 1st round OL, and the fact that you have to pay four other starters on that OL as well. just my opionion though

i can understand throwing out linemen but not QB's.

It's also not necessarily true, although it might be.

BB might have thought Holmes or Jackson was better. Or Klopfenstein. It may be that he figured that the gap between Maroney and any RB he would be able to get later was greater than the gap between Holmes and Jackson, or Klopfenstein/Pope/Lewis.

Last edited:
D-cleater said:
no, he is saying behind Davis but higher than Furgeson. Which, I agree with.

Depending on you draft philosophy and needs of your team, RB could be considered more valuable than T given the amount you have to spend on a 1st round OL, and the fact that you have to pay four other starters on that OL as well. just my opionion though

You serious about D'Brickashaw?

JJDChE said:
Vince Young?
Matt Leinart?
Jay Cutler?

He excluded QB's. I think that's understandable. QB's are a bit of their own entity. Maybe re-word it to #3 offensive position player or something like that.

It this was BB draft board then why would there be a quarter back listed? I would think it would contain a wish list for the team.

JJDChE said:
Vince Young?
Matt Leinart?
Jay Cutler?

I'll bet these three weren't even on the Pats draft board. They knew young and Leinart were never going to make it down to them and even if Cutler did, there was no way the Pats were drafting a QB in the first round.

I think he meant in terms of offensive play-making ability, which from that perspective we got the 3rd best player in the draft. Maroney is a home run hitter, I'm just worried that he won't be able to get those 4 or 5 yard gains on first and second down consistently.

So he's the 3rd best offensive player who isn't a FB, OT, OG, C, QB?

What does this mean? It probably means he was picked where he should've gone: at or around 21.

desi-patsfan said:
i can understand throwing out linemen but not QB's.

When our starting QB is Tom Brady, I can absolutely see it.

PonyExpress said:
By drafting Maroney at #21, BB revealed that LM was the #3 offensive prospect on the Pats’ board (skill position).
#2) Bush
#6) V. Davis
#21) Maroney

The entire argument here is flawed if BB thought that Maroney was superior to Davis or Bush. :rocker:

JJDChE said:
Vince Young?
Matt Leinart?
Jay Cutler?

If we're talking about BB's ranking system, combining "best player" with "need" - then yes, I'd expect you could include them in being ranked lower than Maroney.

If you take the "best player available" myth to its logical conclusion, then a GM could wind up taking a QB in every round, if indeed they were the "best player" on the board - and we know that's just silly.

We all know that BB has indeed uttered the phrase "best player available" on more than one occassion - but that's just BB-speak for "the player that made the best sense for us" which in fact, does include "need" as a factor - as evidenced by this draft.

Aside from that, while I don't know where BB had Maroney ranked on his board, when BB was picking at #21 I expect he looked at who was left on the board, looked at who was picking after him, considered opportunities to use his extra picks to trade up in the 2nd, and recognized that of the two players he coveted - Jackson and Maroney - it was more likely that Jackson would still be on the board in the 2nd round than it was Maroney, who would need to get past the Colts, who had an even more pressing need at RB

As such, we can't necessarilly conclude that Maroney was ranked higher than Jackson - but we can conclude that BB knows how to play the draft like a fine stringed instrument

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News