PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

March 28 - A New Thread On Priorities

I agree. Having said that, as things stand, we're down two realistic 53-ers next year. But I think the priority now is someone who can backup Easley. That's what we're missing.

One thought to all. Could the Knighton deal make a trade up for Jonathan Bullard more likely? He certainly has Easley's skillset and can also play DE so wouldn't be a wasted roster spot as he backs up more than one position. And the roster spot wouldn't be too hard to find - he could just take Grissom's (Grissom was OK but I don't think he'll ever be anything special).

That would still leave us with a the second second rounder (OT) and the 3rd round comp (RB/CB). It would, however, mean we miss out on filling the 4th/5th round gaps.

If the right value falls at DT you can take someone but i don't think you need to force a trade up that is bad for you to fill a spot. Bullard is a guy I just watched some tape on today actually :p

He is interesting and though he is not as quick as Easley i think he can add something to the team. Besides Easley they don't have a true pass rushing DT. I say draft this kid if he falls within the 50 range.

His main issue of course is he will never be a 3 down player most likely. That being said i do like fresh rotations in a pass rush oriented league.

Last edited:
If the right value falls at DT you can take someone but i don't think you need to force a trade up that is bad for you to fill a spot. Bullard is a guy on just watched some tape on today actually :p

He is interesting and though he is not as quick as Easley i think he can add something to the team. Besides Easley they don't have a true pass rushing DT. I say draft this kid if he falls within the 50 range.

His main issue of course is he will never be a 3 down player most likely. That being said i do like fresh rotations in a pass rush oriented league.

Why don't you think he'll be a 3 down player? He's one of the best run stopping DEs in the draft that can kick inside on passing downs.

Thing is, whilst we'll need a 1-tech for next year and beyond, we really don't for this year. But we don't have a lot of cover for Easley at the 3. We've also lost Chandler Jones' ability to kick inside. I do think 3-tech has become the priority.

If Bill had signed the younger, cheaper, more athletic Nick Fairley instead of the older, more expensive,
slower Pot Roast, then we would already have Easily's replacement in-house.

Why don't you think he'll be a 3 down player? He's one of the best run stopping DEs in the draft that can kick inside on passing downs.

Thing is, whilst we'll need a 1-tech for next year and beyond, we really don't for this year. But we don't have a lot of cover for Easley at the 3. We've also lost Chandler Jones' ability to kick inside. I do think 3-tech has become the priority.

Well I clearly see his use as a pass rush DT. As a DE though i wonder about him being able to do well at that spot consistently. You simply don't see many 285lb DEs and i see a lot of the time he on the edge he simply blows past guys or is not picked up. I expect that kind of thing from Von Miller but I don't think Bullard gets away with it at this level. I think the run stopping will be there of course which you would expect from a 285 pound player on the edge. His burst is very good for a man his size but he as you would expect has limited bend around the edge and if he does not win with burst i question how much he can bend or change direction mid rush to adjust. If his burst on the outside is going to be his main weapon then i think it might take him out of the plays when attempted to rush at times. If you don't rush him and want him to play just the run you make him predictable and frankly the offense can force the match up they want.

While I agree he could play 3 downs i am not sold on the idea that he can be a duel threat DE on downs 1 and 2 which is something you want ideally of course. Then again we won't know until he plays. I could be wrong about everything i just said and it would not be the first time that happened about a player in the draft with me :p

Last edited:
I agree. Having said that, as things stand, we're down two realistic 53-ers next year. But I think the priority now is someone who can backup Easley. That's what we're missing.

One thought to all. Could the Knighton deal make a trade up for Jonathan Bullard more likely? He certainly has Easley's skillset and can also play DE so wouldn't be a wasted roster spot as he backs up more than one position. And the roster spot wouldn't be too hard to find - he could just take Grissom's (Grissom was OK but I don't think he'll ever be anything special).

That would still leave us with a the second second rounder (OT) and the 3rd round comp (RB/CB). It would, however, mean we miss out on filling the 4th/5th round gaps.

I don't think that Belichick will give up on Grissom or Flowers yet.

That being said, I'm Ok with carrying an addition DL, given the 2017 contract issues of Ninkovich, Branch, Long and Knighton.

Well I clearly see his use as a pass rush DT. As a DE though i wonder about him being able to do well at that spot consistently. You simply don't see many 285lb DEs and i see a lot of the time he on the edge he simply blows past guys or is not picked up. I expect that kind of thing from Von Miller but I don't think Bullard gets away with it at this level. I think the run stopping will be there of course which you would expect from a 285 pound player on the edge. His burst is very good for a man his size but he as you would expect has limited bend around the edge and if he does not win with burst i question how much he can bend or change direction mid rush to adjust. If his burst on the outside is going to be his main weapon which i think might take him out of the plays when attempted to rush a lot. If you don't rush him and want him to play just the run you make him predictable and frankly the offense can force the match up they want.

While I agree he could play 3 downs i am not sold on the idea that he can be a duel threat DE on downs 1 and 2 which is something you want ideally of course. Then again we won't know until he plays. I could be wrong about everything i just said and it would not be the first time that happened about a player in the draft with me :p

I see him as a LDE so his pass rushing skills are less needed. His athletic numbers, aside from his forty, are almost the same as Jabaal Sheard's. He also compares to Derek Wolfe athletically and in terms of usage, that's not a bad comparison although Wolfe is more a 5-tech. I'd have no problem being Nink's long-term replacement on early downs and Easley's backup on passing downs.

If Bill had signed the younger, cheaper, more athletic Nick Fairley instead of the older, more expensive,

I think they tried. Fairly went elsewhere. It happens.

LeRaven Clark
Shilique Calhoun
Ridgeway/Collins
Prosise

Book it

I could definitely see that. Would prefer Jonathan Williams and I suspect that Jerald Hawkins is the more likely option for RT but I'd be very pleased if it played out your way.

The last couple of years, seems like teams are overstating offensive tackles while defensive tackles slide.

Clark may not make it to 60.

Ps: bb loves safties. Seems like he can not have enough of them.

I think they need to put this season's priorities ahead of future priorities. I get the concern for depth at positions that need to be filled down the line, like OT, however those needs are secondary to their immediate needs to be successful this season, and right now I would put RB above everything else as they have no first down RB and their best RB is coming off a major injury and may not even be ready when the season starts. People can downgrade the position all they want but if the Patriots go into 2016 season with Donald Brown and James White as their primary backs they will have the worst run game in football and Brady will have to drop back 880 times. He should last a month at that rate. Running Back is the No.#1 draft priority and its not even close.

2nd priority. Is the number two CB spot. Ryan played OK last season but an injury to Malcolm Butler would leave them in poor shape at the position. I like the young DBs on the whole but I would welcome a deal for Jason McCourty as well as a high pick (2nd or 3rd round). I realize it would tax their cap situation but I think they could get creative and fit him in, and a unit with McCourty and Butler as starters, Coleman and a rookie battling for the slot, and Ryan and Roberts as depth would be much better for the season long haul. Bring back Tarrell Brown to strengthen the battle for end of the roster spots.

With the retirement of Mayo I think the 3rd LB spot is the next priority. With four picks in the top 100 I'm hopeful they can address all the of these needs. However the wild card is how the draft falls and where talent is or is not available. I want them to address these priorities but they need to take the best players, so if they have an OT who is much higher rated than the other needs then take them, but hopefully they can meet both criteria and address the needs and get the talent.

Last edited:
As I've stated multiple times on multiple threads, we are in desperate need of 2 OTs, one of whom with
starting LT abilities, and of a starting LG, preferably one who was a college LT.
The dreck we currently have on the roster can compete among themselves for the Center & RG positions.
Last season's disaster likely carved away one year from Brady's career.

We also need a young, fresh-legged RB who can gain first downs between the tackles, something that
passtheBlunt is wholly incapable of providing.

While not as desperate as LT, LG, RB & RT, we also could use a Move TE and an outside-the-hashes WR
who doesn't suck this time.

On defense, we could use another CB (and No, EJ Biggers does NOT count), an OLB who can actually
cover RBs & TEs, and a passing-down DT who can replace Dom Easily when he makes his annual trip
to the IR.

Why do you persist in the feeling that low level draftees are world beaters until we draft them, and then they turn into bums instantly? You seldom win with rookies unless they are very good and that implies they will get better. 12-4 despite playing rookies at 4 of 5 positions is phenomenal.

...And still be looking for a Nose to replace Vince.....

Why do you persist in the feeling that low level draftees are world beaters until we draft them, and then they turn into bums instantly? You seldom win with rookies unless they are very good and that implies they will get better. 12-4 despite playing rookies at 4 of 5 positions is phenomenal.
What does that first sentence have to do with what I posted?
And who are the 4 rookies on the OL?

Curiously those who focus on the future also consider CB, RB and LB to be among the first four picks. They add OT. I guess you're OK with BOTH Waddle and Cannon this year?

I think they need to put this season's priorities ahead of future priorities. I get the concern for depth at positions that need to be filled down the line, like OT, however those needs are secondary to their immediate needs to be successful this season, and right now I would put RB above everything else as they have no first down RB and their best RB is coming off a major injury and may not even be ready when the season starts. People can downgrade the position all they want but if the Patriots go into 2016 season with Donald Brown and James White as their primary backs they will have the worst run game in football and Brady will have to drop back 880 times. He should last a month at that rate. Running Back is the No.#1 draft priority and its not even close.

2nd priority. Is the number two CB spot. Ryan played OK last season but an injury to Malcolm Butler would leave them in poor shape at the position. I like the young DBs on the whole but I would welcome a deal for Jason McCourty as well as a high pick (2nd or 3rd round). I realize it would tax their cap situation but I think they could get creative and fit him in, and a unit with McCourty and Butler as starters, Coleman and a rookie battling for the slot, and Ryan and Roberts as depth would be much better for the season long haul. Bring back Tarrell Brown to strengthen the battle for end of the roster spots.

With the retirement of Mayo I think the 3rd LB spot is the next priority. With four picks in the top 100 I'm hopeful they can address all the of these needs. However the wild card is how the draft falls and where talent is or is not available. I want them to address these priorities but they need to take the best players, so if they have an OT who is much higher rated than the other needs then take them, but hopefully they can meet both criteria and address the needs and get the talent.

Curiously those who focus on the future also consider CB, RB and LB to be among the first four picks. They add OT. I guess you're OK with BOTH Waddle and Cannon this year?

They have starting tackles, they have no starting RB. I consider a position with no starter more important than than those with two.

As Belichick has pointed out many times, that just because you have a need reaching for an answer that doesn't answer the problem, just means you will still have the need to address next draft.

At 60, the chances of having a LOT solution is small. But finding a ROT answer is still possible; but we already have proven playable answers on the team now for that question.

IMHO the Patriots need a starting RB. That is the biggest "hole" on the team.

As Belichick has pointed out many times, that just because you have a need reaching for an answer that doesn't answer the problem, just means you will still have the need to address next draft.

At 60, the chances of having a LOT solution is small. But finding a ROT answer is still possible; but we already have proven playable answers on the team now for that question.

IMHO the Patriots need a starting RB. That is the biggest "hole" on the team.

And perhaps one of the RB's available will help, or not.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back