PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning to Tyree top ESPN's NFL's All Decade Moments

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, it is the #2 all-decade moment; it led to the winning score, it was not the play that resulted in the winning score.

Adam's kick sailing through the uprights to end Super Bowl 36 is the #1 all-decade moment.

The catch is by far the greatest catch in Super Bowl history.

Probably in the history of the NFL as a matter of fact when you factor in the degree of difficulty (Manning escapes a sure sack, heaves up a prayer and through an incredible feat of athletic skill, the catch is made), the stage on which it played out (the Super Bowl) and the result of the catch (the Giants, 12 point underdogs, went on to win the game and ruin the Patriots perfect season).

All of those things combined make it the greatest catch ever.

The Patriots were going for 19-0. The Rams weren't.

I'm sure if it was the same play, only Tom Brady to Jabar Gaffney (or any of the non-starters at WR), no one here would have an issue with this. It was a great, miraculous play, just sucks that it was against us.

IMO, it is the #2 all-decade moment; it led to the winning score, it was not the play that resulted in the winning score.

Adam's kick sailing through the uprights to end Super Bowl 36 is the #1 all-decade moment.

Probably in the history of the NFL as a matter of fact when you factor in the degree of difficulty (Manning escapes a sure sack, heaves up a prayer and through an incredible feat of athletic skill, the catch is made), the stage on which it played out (the Super Bowl) and the result of the catch (the Giants, 12 point underdogs, went on to win the game and ruin the Patriots perfect season).

LOL. A kick was better than that play because it was your team making that kick. Period. C'mon, now. Try being objective about it as a football fan.

James Harrison's interception in the past SB off the top of my head would get my vote over the Tyree catch. AV's FG against the Raiders too. I'd take the Troy Brown strip against McCree in the Chargers game. Ray Lewis strip of Eddie George.

They should have had biggest fcuk up of the decade.

VanderJerk miss against the Steelers.
The Bus fumble on the 1 yard line in the same game.
Romo snap fumble.
Cardinals giving the game to the Bears (Denny Green game).
Favre 5 INTs vs Rams in the playoffs.
Hasselbeck pick 6 after saying we'll take the ball and score.

So Manning to Tyree is No. 5? Come on, take the blinders off.

LOL. A kick was better than that play because it was your team making that kick. Period. C'mon, now. Try being objective about it as a football fan.

You must be new here. The term objective is not in the Pats fan dictionary. Neither is the word "scandal."

I don't see the issue here.

Me neither - it was an improbable catch - but it was a catch. The Patriots had the benefit of plenty of improbable plays as well. (an unconscious Patten's foot going out of bounds, the tuck play etc...)

I've never felt that Tyree holding onto that ball detracted from the Patriots in any way. I simply give credit to him for making it.

Calling Spygate the scandal of the decade when any credible sports commentator should know that sort of thing goes back 5 decades is a stretch, but I'm beyond caring about ignorant football "experts" like that.

At the end of the day, it was a pretty iconic play, and the fact that it was crucial in knocking off an 18-0 titan... c'mon, it's pretty much straight out of a Disney movie. As much as I fully intend to pretend it never happened for the rest of my life, I still have to admit that it would be a glaring omission if it wasn't on the list.

Looking at the subjest as an NFL fan rather than a Pats fan, I don't disagree with the choices of the Tyree catch as the biggest play, or spygate as the biggest story/scandal of the decade thus far.

Regarding the Tyree catch versus the Vinatieri kick in the Snow Game, timing does have a factor and folks may look at it differently ten years from now. Specifically, if the Tyree catch happened eight years ago and the Vinatieri kick happened four months ago, the voting might be reversed as the more recent event has a tendency to seem to have more importance in people's minds.

In addition the Tyree catch became a bigger play because the Pate were undefeated and going for an unprecedented 19-0 as well as their fourth Super Bowl of the decade. Take away any or all of those factors and the play loses significance, as remarkable as it was.

Regarding spygate we can rehash all the counterpoints about the (lack of) significance in helping the team win, but that is irrelevant. Reality is that even though the media, led by espn, made the story bigger than it was and bled it dry for months and months, it was the most talked about and discussed off-the-field story of the decade. The discussion is not about passing judgement on how much the taping did or did not help the Pats; it's simply "what was the biggest NFL story of the decade?" Again, the voting might be different had it happened eight years ago rather than concluding twelve months ago, but in this case I still think fans will consider it the biggest 'scandal' of the decade ten or twenty years from now.

In my opinion the media created the story of spygare and then it was a case of them beating a dead horse, but that's not the point; the question is "what was the biggest story", and it was spygate.

Regarding the Tyree catch versus the Vinatieri kick in the Snow Game, timing does have a factor and folks may look at it differently ten years from now. Specifically, if the Tyree catch happened eight years ago and the Vinatieri kick happened four months ago, the voting might be reversed as the more recent event has a tendency to seem to have more importance in people's minds.

In addition the Tyree catch became a bigger play because the Pate were undefeated and going for an unprecedented 19-0 as well as their fourth Super Bowl of the decade. Take away any or all of those factors and the play loses significance, as remarkable as it was.

The ONLY way that wasn't the play of the decade is if the Giants didn't score a TD later in the drive. C'mon, you can never argue against the significance of that play...the Giants don't make that play, they don't win. Kicks are routine...a guy kicks a ball through the uprights. It can be a tension-filled moment, but it could never have the same qualities of the Manning-to-Tyree play. A kick being the play of the decade? Maybe a 65-yard kick in a snowstorm, other-wise you are talking about a pretty piss-poor decade.

It was third and five, and Manning drops back to pass with a little over a minute left, his team needing a TD to win the Super Bowl. There is no way in hell he shouldn't have gotten sacked, but he managed not to through sheer determination. Had he gotten sacked, that alone would have been pretty much game over. But he wriggled his way out, chucks the ball on a calculated gamble, and Tyree makes a 30-something yard catch that most receivers wouldn't make most of the time, trapping the ball against his helmet...all this over some very tight coverage. The play had EVERYTHING a football fan would want, and everything you wouldn't want if you are a Pats fan.

Compare all that to a guy kicks a ball. Not to take anything away from that, but it's a routine play and not out of the ordinary unless it's the game winning 3 points in the Super Bowl. Besides, he misses the kick and it goes into overtime...it doesn't mean a loss.

The point I was making (but apparently failed to do) was that there is a natural tendency by people to place greater emphasis on recent events. A recent play is more memorable than one from nearly a decade ago. Almost every year the most recent championship becomes the 'greatest ever' and every time there is a clear leader as the current 'best' in his sport, he is proclaimed as the 'best ever.' My comment was that if the years were reversed that it might - might - change the voting.

Obviously you don't think much about kickers, but in my opinion you lose some credibility when you characterize Vinatieri's kick against the Raiders as a routine play. In my opinion making that FG in those conditions, and to send the game in to overtime, was one of the biggest plays in NFL history.

All that being said, I do agree that the Tyree catch does go down as the play of the decade - despite the fact that it was not a scoring play.

Last edited:
The Bills are my team, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Which part of that don't you understand? Ok, we've covered that already, you don't have to get so pissy. Then again, 0 for the Super Bowl..................go ahead, be pissy all you want.

YOU just hated on the Bills pretty hardcore, didn't you? I was just discussing the article. For the record, I've hated the Patriots even during the years and years and years when they sucked, if only because they are in the AFC East. That's not to say that clouds my judgment about the particulars. I don't hate the Bills; I pity them. There is a difference.

If you are so paranoid as to say that anyone that thinks Manning-to-Tyree was a fantastic play is taking a shot at your team, then God bless you. In your eyes it was fantastic Patriot hater, just like 0 for the Super Bowl is fantastic to me. Get it?

You're that raging moron on YouTube who goes mental in the parking lot at a Bills/Patriots game from afew years ago up in Buffalo aren't you? Yep, that's you Patriotshater/youreallyneedtogetalife...................

I'd almost agree with this order except I remember that the Giants were about as big an underdog in that game that the Pats were against the Rams. It's practically a tie, but FGs have an inherent drama to them and AV was just ice cold.

It was the game winning kick in the second biggest Super Bowl upset of all time vs a catch that lead to a score in the now second biggest Super Bowl upset of all time.

Get the difference Patriots Hater?

I'd almost agree with this order except I remember that the Giants were about as big an underdog in that game that the Pats were against the Rams. It's practically a tie, but FGs have an inherent drama to them and AV was just ice cold.

The Giants were 12 point underdogs, not sure what the spread was in Super Bowl 36, maybe 14 points? The Rams had about 200 more total yards than the Patriots did and Brady threw for more yards than Manning did.

As you said, the winning FG (48 yards, not a chip shot by any means) has an sense of drama to it.

Needless to say, neither play will ever be forgotten, just ask Patriothater, aka, Mr Buffalo Bills fan ....................

Are you serious?

The accusation, the publicity, the punishment, the controversy, the way it was handled, the calling into question of integrity...shall I go on, or should I just post the definition of scandal?

Nope, that's good.

Can't argue against the Tyree "catch". It did de-rail potentially the biggest sporting story of this decade.

Undefeated seasons across elite sports all over the world rarely occur. Bastards.

The ONLY way that wasn't the play of the decade is if the Giants didn't score a TD later in the drive. C'mon, you can never argue against the significance of that play...the Giants don't make that play, they don't win. Kicks are routine...a guy kicks a ball through the uprights. It can be a tension-filled moment, but it could never have the same qualities of the Manning-to-Tyree play. A kick being the play of the decade? Maybe a 65-yard kick in a snowstorm, other-wise you are talking about a pretty piss-poor decade.

It was third and five, and Manning drops back to pass with a little over a minute left, his team needing a TD to win the Super Bowl. There is no way in hell he shouldn't have gotten sacked, but he managed not to through sheer determination. Had he gotten sacked, that alone would have been pretty much game over. But he wriggled his way out, chucks the ball on a calculated gamble, and Tyree makes a 30-something yard catch that most receivers wouldn't make most of the time, trapping the ball against his helmet...all this over some very tight coverage. The play had EVERYTHING a football fan would want, and everything you wouldn't want if you are a Pats fan.

Compare all that to a guy kicks a ball. Not to take anything away from that, but it's a routine play and not out of the ordinary unless it's the game winning 3 points in the Super Bowl. Besides, he misses the kick and it goes into overtime...it doesn't mean a loss.

YouTube - Scott Norwood Missed Field Goal Super Bowl XXV

Effin priceless; that should shut him up for at least ten minutes.

Notice how every year we get some fleabrain from an AFC East rival setting up shop here and blubbering endlessly about all things Bills/Dolphins/Jets while tearing down all things Patriots?

You'd think one year it would end, but once again we're stuck with another winner/whiner....................

You are priceless, I'll give you that.

Substitute "sheer determination/wiggled his way out" with "he was sacked/in the gasp/got away due to not one but two holds by his offensive lineman" and "calculated gamble" with "Holy SH!T, I got away from those two guys, let me just heave this ball downfield and pray to God someone with a white shirt catches it" and you'd be on to something.

Oh and thanks for the blow by blow account of what happened on that play as Patriot Nation is a tad bit fuzzy on the details of it..........................and follow that YouTube link too while your at it, then climb into a full tub with your radio plugged into the wall and wrapped in your arms.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back