PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning to Tyree top ESPN's NFL's All Decade Moments

Status
Not open for further replies.
One play? Yeah, the Manning to Tyree play was the play of the decade. Double digit underdog wins the SB by beating the 18--0 team with the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL? Yep, that's the play of the decade.

The other "awards" for officiating call and scandal are just more mediots playing to the haters; but they do give the nod to Pioli and the Krafts.

Last edited:
the biggest scandal ? was bb witness to a murder or was his limo soaked in blood. did bb kill his pregnant girlfriend or drive drunk and kill a mother? did bb get busted for gambling and racketeering and electrocuting helpless animals or selling purple drank over the internet or shoot himself ? what laws did bb break. videotaping was the biggest non story in the history of non stories. the integrity of football ? papa bear halas would mike up the opposing teams lockerroom. playbooks are lost or stolen all over the league. where's the outrage? everyone new the play the packers were going to run, but no one could stop them. i've been taping the defensive signals and sending them to the raiders for years. hasn't done a thing. what a joke.

First of all, you are free to come to my Bills board and talk about the subject of any thread. Please do. We like to hear opinions of others. I mainly go to buffalorange.com. My username their is Westphal, which is my real last name, by the way.

uh....no thanks

I wasn't talking to you.

The other "awards" for officiating call and scandal are just more mediots playing to the haters; but they do give the nod to Pioli and the Krafts.

I don't think that the officiating call and the scandal "awards" were exactly playing to the haters...but I suspect that those categories might not have existed in the list had the tuck rule and Spygate never happened. I bet that the author just thought about certain people or things that happened this decade, and THEN created a category about it...not the other way around. Just be glad that he seems to think about the Patriots a lot, I guess.

If you ask me, the way the Steelers/Seahawks Super Bowl was officiated should have been the biggest scandal of the decade. THAT pissed me off about 20 times more than anything else, too.

Thanks for taking the time to break down my post point by point.

And for the record, I don't "hate" you or any other fan of any other team. Hate is strong word; you root for the Bills, is that a reason to hate you?

Nobody here deep down hates any other fans who come here.

And as far as the Tyree catch, it was an incredible play.

That said, it's going to leave a mark for a long time, probably forever.

If the stakes were different, ie, if the Patriots were 13-3 going into the game, ok then, whatever, a loss is a loss, you got outplayed and outcoached (which we did, we got outplayed and outcoached). But, it was for immortality, a perfect season, 19-0.

So it sucks.

Glad we are on the same page.

Yeah, I'm sure that play was a crushing blow, especially because of how improbable it was. I know what that is like. Let me tell you from experience: you never really get over it. It's one of those things where, every time you think about it, you just gotta shake your head. With Buffalo, it was the Music City Miracle, wide-right, and, if you are into hockey, the "in the crease" thing, where the Sabres lost to Dallas in triple over-time in game six of the Stanley Cup finals...but that was no goal and a bogus win by Dallas. The list goes on with less famous examples.

19-0 would have been something, alright. Especially the way you actually completely murdered everyone along the line during the season. As a Bills fan, the only good thing about the Patriots having a perfect season is that it would have shut up Don Shula, who wouldn't be able to pop another champagne cork and keep running his mouth, continuing to live in 1972 along with the rest of that Dolphins team. I imagine that, as a Patriots fan, the only redeeming factor of it is that it happened fairly, and you don't have to feel like you were screwed out of something, which is always kinda worse...although, I bet the Patriots would have beaten the Giants 8 or 9 times out of 10 that year. Then the Patriots followed that up the next year with Brady getting ousted from the season in the first game...OUCH. That had to be pretty hard to take.

I know about the Patriots, so I can understand how many trolls you must get around here...thus the suspicion of the motives of other fans that come here. But I'm cool if you are.

Last edited:
In my opinion the media created the story of spygare and then it was a case of them beating a dead horse, but that's not the point; the question is "what was the biggest story", and it was spygate.

I'm with you. It's a textbook example of making a mountain out of a molehill, but it undoubtedly was a big-arse mountain.

The media is generally not a fan of BB because he won't play their game, so they were just salivating for something to knock him off his high horse. When Mangenius came out with his big accusation, the media thought they had found it. By the time the smoke cleared and anyone with half a brain could see that it wasn't a big deal, however, it had been so overhyped that it seemed like one helluva big deal. We all know that when it comes to the media, the accusatory headline is screamed across the front page, while the retraction is printed on page 4 in a one-column space.

As for Manning-Tyree, I wouldn't call it "luck" myself. The G-men were fortunate that the Pats picked that day to have their worst game of the season, but only some darn good players could have pulled that play off. A lesser QB would have thrown a pick, or thrown out of the end zone, etc.

Let me tell you from experience: you never really get over it. It's one of those things where, every time you think about it, you just gotta shake your head.

No, you never do. Everytime I see the play, I shake my head, great analogy. Shake it in a combination of shock/awe/anger/depression/annoyance.

All of your points were valid, but you missed one. Not only did they lose the Super Bowl, lose out on a 19-0 season, lose out on immortality; they did all of those things to a Manning. And they showed Eli's brother, what, 4,000 times during that game cheering his ass off? We lost the AFCCG the year before to him and he got his ring, then we lost the Super Bowl to his brother and he got his ring.

This is the downside of sports; as much as I'll never forget the 2001, 2003 and 2004 Super Bowls and the 2004 and 2007 World Series, I'll also never forget Bucky bleeping Dent, Bill Buckner, Aaron bleeping Boone, the 2006 AFCCG and the 2007 Super Bowl either.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad; doesn't mean you have to like it.

You're a good dude, keep posting and sorry for the bull**** earlier............

Not only did they lose the Super Bowl, lose out on a 19-0 season, lose out on immortality; they did all of those things to a Manning.

I could take the loss to Peyton the year before. I've never hated him; I just got a little mad about him whining after the 2003-04 AFCCG, but I could stomach losing the 2006-07 AFCCG to him. But to lose such a big game to freakin' Eli?! Mr. "My daddy and my brother are NFL big-shots so I get to pick who drafts me!"??? I don't think I'll ever get over that one.

I could take the loss to Peyton the year before. I've never hated him; I just got a little mad about him whining after the 2003-04 AFCCG, but I could stomach losing the 2006-07 AFCCG to him. But to lose such a big game to freakin' Eli?! Mr. "My daddy and my brother are NFL big-shots so I get to pick who drafts me!"??? I don't think I'll ever get over that one.

Me either.

Peyton, ok, you can live with that.

Eli.

Eli?

No.

yeah...uh...feldspar...I just checked my SB archive tapes...wide right...every time I play it...4 supe appearances...4 crushing blows...like someone took a mini sledgehammer and just smashed your skull over and over, repeatedly...forever.

Easy to understand why you'd migrate here and play this flimsy, see through "objective fan!!" role.

Enjoy your stay...p.s. you MUST be a masochist

p.s.s. - and no...I would STILL never ever post at a Jills board

I'm not trying to make it worse, but the thing that bugs me about Eli in the playoffs that year was that he threw 20 INTs in the regular season. Then, in the postseason, in 4 road/neutral site games against the best teams in the league, he throws 1.

That's on par with the Colts run defense suddenly coming to life in the '06 playoffs. It just adds another level of improbability to the Tyree play, which is why I have no problem with it being recognized as such a significant play.

I just have a problem with it happening in the first place. :D

Last edited:
yeah...uh...feldspar...I just checked my SB archive tapes...wide right...every time I play it...4 supe appearances...4 crushing blows...like someone took a mini sledgehammer and just smashed your skull over and over, repeatedly...forever.

Easy to understand why you'd migrate here and play this flimsy, see through "objective fan!!" role.

Enjoy your stay...p.s. you MUST be a masochist

p.s.s. - and no...I would STILL never ever post at a Jills board

You wouldn't last long there, anyway.

Maybe if you listened to fans of others teams with different viewpoints, you wouldn't come off as a jackass, though.

You wouldn't last long there, anyway.

Maybe if you listened to fans of others teams with different viewpoints, you wouldn't come off as a jackass, though.

You need to stop being so rational.

You're alot harder to dislike that way.

On a more sensiible note: Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Looking at the subjest as an NFL fan rather than a Pats fan, I don't disagree with the choices of the Tyree catch as the biggest play, or spygate as the biggest story/scandal of the decade thus far.

Regarding the Tyree catch versus the Vinatieri kick in the Snow Game, timing does have a factor and folks may look at it differently ten years from now. Specifically, if the Tyree catch happened eight years ago and the Vinatieri kick happened four months ago, the voting might be reversed as the more recent event has a tendency to seem to have more importance in people's minds.

In addition the Tyree catch became a bigger play because the Pate were undefeated and going for an unprecedented 19-0 as well as their fourth Super Bowl of the decade. Take away any or all of those factors and the play loses significance, as remarkable as it was.

Regarding spygate we can rehash all the counterpoints about the (lack of) significance in helping the team win, but that is irrelevant. Reality is that even though the media, led by espn, made the story bigger than it was and bled it dry for months and months, it was the most talked about and discussed off-the-field story of the decade. The discussion is not about passing judgement on how much the taping did or did not help the Pats; it's simply "what was the biggest NFL story of the decade?" Again, the voting might be different had it happened eight years ago rather than concluding twelve months ago, but in this case I still think fans will consider it the biggest 'scandal' of the decade ten or twenty years from now.

In my opinion the media created the story of spygare and then it was a case of them beating a dead horse, but that's not the point; the question is "what was the biggest story", and it was spygate.

"Regarding the Tyree catch versus the Vinatieri kick in the Snow Game"

Dude don't even begin to try to compare these two OK? You have the first (Tyree "catch" which should go down as one of the LUCKIEST plays of all time.......come on.......it practically lodged in his facemask......like the kid who is in the outfield and sticks his glove out and closes his eyes and luckily has the ball fall into it..........

AND.....secondly, the Viniateri kick in a heavy BLIZZARD in horrible conditions and into a 30 plus MPH wind......and you have trouble finding which one was GREATER ? Really???? You must be a Gint fan.......

You're that raging moron on YouTube who goes mental in the parking lot at a Bills/Patriots game from afew years ago up in Buffalo aren't you? Yep, that's you Patriotshater/youreallyneedtogetalife...................

Wow,......that is that raging douche bag that goes on youtube.....now some things are coming clearer.......face it you ****....the Jills SUCK!

Actually, I came here for conversation. Apparently, you aren't interested in diverse opinions. I didn't come here to blast the Patriots. Obviously, they're a much better team than the Bills, everything else aside.

The only thing mean-spirited around here came out of your typing-fingers, not mine.

Correction: You came here to be a hating d-bag.....and you succeeded. Go back and watch replays of the 4 SB LOSSES (Norwood wide right! Laces out....Laces out!!!!!) by the Bills and drown in your beer........

woulda coulda shoulda...Norwood missed...get over it...Vinatieri made a game winning kick in a driving snowstorm and high winds outside against the Raiders to get the Pats into the Bowl versus St Louis.Ecry Manning was in the grasp for a 3000 count before he finally wrestled free, BECAUSE the Giant O lineman HELD and PULLED Seymour off him, threw up a duck prayer that a receiver NOT even in the league anymore with NO appreciable NFL stats caught ONE HANDED against his helmet.

You want to talk history, talk about YOU will never LIVE LONG ENOUGH to see that confluence of events take place again. If Norwood had made that kick,it STILL wouldn't have been ANYWHERE NEAR as impressive as Adam's kick for the simple fact that the Patriots were FOURTEEN POINT UNDERDOGS!!!!! People would have remembered the Bills for finally winning one after all their collapses despite having superior personnel.

What's next...how Buffalo will CHANGE T.O. and his behaviour because it's ....well...because it's YOUR team??

Wow.....Fel-smear is going to need a pad for his bleeding sphincter after this post....Brilliant post my friend.....!!!!! Very well said!!!!

Originally Posted by feldspar
LOL. I like you too, Patjew.

Although I remember a post of yours that said, plain and simply, "I don't like you." No kidding.

Let's be friends, or at least virtually.

wow....what a warm and fuzzy moment......get a room already.......

Originally Posted by feldspar
LOL. I like you too, Patjew.

Although I remember a post of yours that said, plain and simply, "I don't like you." No kidding.

Let's be friends, or at least virtually.

wow....what a warm and fuzzy moment......get a room already.......

So, are you fat/lazy, as frail as an Etheopian and pale as a ghost, or just plain ******ed? Seriously, I need to find the accurate portrayal of you in my mind. Only someone fitting one of those three descriptions would be capable of such vapid, mindless detraction that is detrimental to the reputation of patriots fans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye