PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Mitchell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Malcolm so far but...

Dobson has deep speed, but he couldn't get separation and timing down with Brady. The Steelers DB got skooled for playing it wrong because he thought the pats were trying to run the clock out.

Dobson has deep speed, but he couldn't get separation and timing down with Brady. The Steelers DB got skooled for playing it wrong because he thought the pats were trying to run the clock out.

Perhaps you'd be impressed with the other TD he got in this same game......

I noted that the Pats have only been able to successfully develop WRs Branch, Givens, and Edelman.

If we expand to include all those catching the ball then guys like Gronk, Hernandez, and Graham didn't turn out so bad either.

Perhaps you'd be impressed with the other TD he got in this same game......

The thing about highlight reels is that they'll never capture what was wrong with Dobson - he could make a fantastic play that showcased his size and speed, but then the other 9 targets he'd play slower and smaller than he was and probably drop a ball or two outright.

You could put together a pretty incredible highlight reel of brilliant plays by JAG receivers. Just by playing in the NFL, it's a given that they have a lot of talent. But the difference between a Dobson and a good receiver is what they do on the 95% of plays that don't make the highlight reel. So far, Mitchell's acquitted himself pretty well on those plays. Dobson never really did; even in 2013, he showed a lot of promise, but mostly in that you assumed he'd grow into better consistency.

The trust and love Pats have for Mitchell must be great.

They cut all the “plethora“ of WR prospects and serviceable backups in one clean move keeping only 4 WRs for the season against all projections .. despite him, Danny and Julian coming from injuries with status somewhat uncertain.

He suffered a very unpleasant injury in the preseason opener just after he flashed some great abilities in getting opened, fighting for position and the ball, making YAC and being an all-round O player team can count on. Training camp and part of one preseason game was enough for BB to be sold on the rookie.
I believe that's pretty rare. Looking forward to witness kid's further growth here.

The trust and love Pats have for Mitchell must be great.

They cut all the “plethora“ of WR prospects and serviceable backups in one clean move keeping only 4 WRs for the season against all projections .. despite him, Danny and Julian coming from injuries with status somewhat uncertain.

Very true, count me in the camp as shocked to see only four true receivers on the team especially given that two are constant injury concerns (Edelman & Amendola) and even Mitchell himself was injured at the time (as you pointed out).

I was very surprised to see Keyshawn Martin go. I thought he showed good skills and obviously could pick up the playbook (not a given in this offense). Not surprised by Dobson and Nate Washington getting cut but was shocked by Keyshawn Martin.

Id say about 20 yds here to MM credit ..

Well it's not surprising that he's a decent run blocker. He was doing it for Gurley and Chubb in college at Georgia.

loving Mitchell me and a guy at work have a bet who will be a better pro between Mitchell and Cooper on the Rams.

The thing about highlight reels is that they'll never capture what was wrong with Dobson - he could make a fantastic play that showcased his size and speed, but then the other 9 targets he'd play slower and smaller than he was and probably drop a ball or two outright.

You could put together a pretty incredible highlight reel of brilliant plays by JAG receivers. Just by playing in the NFL, it's a given that they have a lot of talent. But the difference between a Dobson and a good receiver is what they do on the 95% of plays that don't make the highlight reel. So far, Mitchell's acquitted himself pretty well on those plays. Dobson never really did; even in 2013, he showed a lot of promise, but mostly in that you assumed he'd grow into better consistency.
I think he lost his confidence after his injury and it became a mental thing, and the fact he's out of the league right now given his athleticism and potential sort of backs that up.

It's too bad, because I was certainly one of his bigger supporters given that this team has been in dire need of a young, athletic 6'3" tall receiver to compliment the other guys. But he wore down as the year went on and the foot injury just killed him and essentially ruined his follow up season and he was a mess from that point on.

It's too bad, but "it is what it is" at this point.

Very true, count me in the camp as shocked to see only four true receivers on the team especially given that two are constant injury concerns (Edelman & Amendola) and even Mitchell himself was injured at the time (as you pointed out).

I was very surprised to see Keyshawn Martin go. I thought he showed good skills and obviously could pick up the playbook (not a given in this offense). Not surprised by Dobson and Nate Washington getting cut but was shocked by Keyshawn Martin.

Keyshawn Martin is the definition of a JAG

Really... I thought he looked decent. But Mitchell in the preseason out played him and anyone who was paying attention could see that Mitchell had some talent.

Then again I thought Mingo looked good too lol.. pre season doesn't always translate.

I suppose that's why ultimately he was expendable, but to me he was a JAG with at least some chemistry with Brady and fit well into the offense. We didn't ask him to do much, but he seemed to execute when called upon. With our injury history at WR I figured they'd be more apt to keep a guy like that around to at least add some depth.

Glenn was unreal in 96

Agreed, his production was insane for a rookie WR at the time (especially considering he missed the first game).

Randy Moss set a new bar with him just being insanely awesome.

Now with the new rules and a pass happy league it has paved the way for guys like Odell and Evans to make great rookie years a little more frequent than in years past.

I'm sold. We hit on a WR! Mitchell needs serious playing time the rest of tbe season.

Two TDs on Revis when he hadn't given one up since week 2. So close to 3 TDs on tbe day.

Huge to have this kid for now and tbe future.

He is the real deal....great game again!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back