PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones vs Gardner Minshew II

Dobson wasn’t terrible (he just couldn’t catch a break injury-wise), and neither was Thompkins. Boyce obviously wasn’t great, but that duo wasn’t horrible. I won’t argue 06, but as for that one, it still could have been way worse.
They never played in the NFL after they left here, so they were not good NFL players. I said before the weapons this team had last year was as good or better than weapons we had on superbowl teams.

Mac had a great season... when was that?

And no, you don't get to "erase" an entire season. Can I erase 2013 when BB sent Brady adrift with Dobson, Boyce, and Thompkins? How about that '06 clown show? I don't remember making excuses for Brady then when he was dragging those teams to 12 wins and AFCCGs.
VIII Rings
Interesting comparison for sure. The end result of it is Minshew is the better quarterback. Not by a lot but he's better.

ANGRY KID CRAPSPAMMER.jpg

They never played in the NFL after they left here, so they were not good NFL players. I said before the weapons this team had last year was as good or better than weapons we had on superbowl teams.
Dobson didn’t play because he was physically unable to. And Thompson I believe did briefly but not long. Again, my point was they’ve had far worse, including the ‘06 team he mentioned.

Mac's Rookie season was one of the better rookie seasons for QB's in recent years and by FAR better than any of the 4 QB's drafted in front of him. His critics somehow seem to CONTINUALLY forget that small tidbit. It seems that it doesn't seem to fit within their particular narrative so out it goes.
Mac's Rookie Season:

Weeks 1-6 (2-4): 7 TDs & 6 INTs
Weeks 7-13 (7-0): 9 TDs & 2 INTs
Weeks 14-18 (1-4): 8 TDs & 7 INTs

Mac was good during what turned out to be a very soft part of their schedule midseason. However, bad start and worse finish to the season (he had 3 TDs & 0 INT vs JAX... 5 TDs & 7 INTs vs the rest).

Mac's Rookie Season:

Weeks 1-6 (2-4): 7 TDs & 6 INTs
Weeks 7-13 (7-0): 9 TDs & 2 INTs
Weeks 14-18 (1-4): 8 TDs & 7 INTs

Mac was good during what turned out to be a very soft part of their schedule midseason. However, bad start and worse finish to the season (he had 3 TDs & 0 INT vs JAX... 5 TDs & 7 INTs vs the rest).
You play who you play and good players/teams are supposed to beat up on inferior ones. Again, he’s the QB they have, the other guy has been gone for three years.

Time to either move on and hope for better from who they have rather than manipulating numbers to drag whoever you don’t like down. It can be done for everyone…and it really has reached an exhausting level.

Dobson wasn’t terrible (he just couldn’t catch a break injury-wise), and neither was Thompkins. Boyce obviously wasn’t great, but that duo wasn’t horrible. I won’t argue 06, but as for that one, it still could have been way worse.
2013 AFCCG

Peyton Manning had...

Demaryius Thomas
Eric Decker
Wes Welker
Julius Thomas

Tom Brady had...

Aaron Dobson
Julian Edelman
Austin Collie
Hoomanawanui

So, come on now.

Reactions: Ian
2013 AFCCG

Peyton Manning had...

Demaryius Thomas
Eric Decker
Wes Welker
Julius Thomas

Tom Brady had...

Aaron Dobson
Julian Edelman
Austin Collie
Hoomanawanui

So, come on now.
You failed to mention Collie (not great). Again, still not as bad as ‘06, but less than ideal.

You play who you play and good players/teams are supposed to beat up on inferior ones. Again, he’s the QB they have, the other guy has been gone for three years.

Time to either move on and hope for better from who they have rather than manipulating numbers to drag whoever you don’t like down. It can be done for everyone…and it really has reached an exhausting level.
Mac has a chance to be very good in 2023. If they add Hopkins. Then I'm all in.

Even if they don’t, I don’t need you to be all in. But I do need you to not kill the kid if he’s doing enough where they’re winning games. You’re continually setting a bar comparing him to Brady and the other elite QBs. We don’t even know what he is or could be yet.

My guess is this season we’ll have a better sense after we see which way he trends more toward - 2021 or 2022 - but I’m asking for you to let it play out before spending thread after thread telling everyone how mediocre you think he is.

He’s who they have, unless Zappe becomes the guy. And then we’ll need to do the same for him, or whoever else. If we compare every guy to Brady, then we’re all in for disappointment.

You mean, if the Patriots DON'T sign Hopkins your crapspamming continues unabated? In that case we'll all be on pins and needles waiting for word from Deandre so "fair weather" might prevail. :rolleyes:

Even if they don’t, I don’t need you to be all in. But I do need you to not kill the kid if he’s doing enough where they’re winning games. You’re continually setting a bar comparing him to Brady and the other elite QBs. We don’t even know what he is or could be yet.

My guess is this season we’ll have a better sense after we see which way he trends more toward - 2021 or 2022 - but I’m asking for you to let it play out before spending thread after thread telling everyone how mediocre you think he is.

He’s who they have, unless Zappe becomes the guy. And then we’ll need to do the same for him, or whoever else. If we compare every guy to Brady, then we’re all in for disappointment.
You mean, if the Patriots DON'T sign Hopkins your crapspamming continues unabated? In that case we'll all be on pins and needles waiting for word from Deandre so "fair weather" might prevail. :rolleyes:
I'm just saying, at this moment I have them finishing 3rd in the division and out of the playoffs (which should mark the end of the BB era). I have Miami 4th because they're relying on a QB who's one nasty hit from retirement (and their defense sucks).

Whatever Mac is, he's the 4th best quarterback in the division (until Tua is out). Anyone disputing that?

Buffalo lost some players but they have a dominant quarterback and a deep enough roster to contend. The Jets added a 4x MVP at quarterback when it was practically their only weakness last season. If the Patriots are going to compete with those two teams for the division then they'll need to be very good around Mac. Hopkins gets them there. I think. It's just my opinion. Maybe JuJu will blow doors, Stevenson's an all pro, and the defense is top 5, well then that works too (it's just less likely).

Or maybe they add Hopkins and still only win 8 games again. Then we're probably talking new HC and QB in 2024.

But if course we all have to wait for it to actually play out. In the meantime we're all just talking.

Try again
There's nothing to try. Zappe is literally Mac's backup.

And your header at the bottom of your profile is silly. The Patriots being a fiscally responsible team is what allowed them to win for two decades and Kraft buying a house has nothing to do with anything. There's a salary cap, it exists... and spending in the NFL does not equate to winning.

Last edited:
Why Minshew? Better to compare Mac to QB's drafted 2021 ... the third year ... crucial year for the QB position.

Now for more it's the silly period ...
Compare Zappe and Minshew. backups ... which one would you like to see as a Patriot.

Compare Zappe and Minshew. backups ... which one would you like to see as a Patriot.
The one that is not already a Patriot. Of course. Duh!

you’ve been here long enough to know that.

Why Minshew? Better to compare Mac to QB's drafted 2021 ... the third year ... crucial year for the QB position.

Minshew is better than Zappe but Zappe is much cheaper and 3 years younger. Tough call.

The Patriots being a fiscally responsible team is what allowed them to win for two decades
Wow you're really lost in the weeds. lol now fiscal prudence led all those game-winning drives. Tell me, how's the budget for the 2023 season looking?... so I know how many games they're going to win.

Wow you're really lost in the weeds. lol now fiscal prudence led all those game-winning drives. Tell me, how's the budget for the 2023 season looking?... so I know how many games they're going to win.
Fiscal prudence is how spread talent across the entire roster every year for two decades… it’s why they didn’t have 4-7 win seasons or defenses ranked dead last in the league like Drew Brees did (for example) while leading the NFL in passing on a top offense for three seasons in a row.

You believe one magical player on offense allowed the remaining 52 to play at a championship level… it’s childish hero worship. You’re like a rabid Taylor Swift fan.

Fiscal prudence is how spread talent across the entire roster every year for two decades… it’s why they didn’t have 4-7 win seasons or defenses ranked dead last in the league like Drew Brees did (for example) while leading the NFL in passing on a top offense for three seasons in a row.

You believe one magical player on offense allowed the remaining 52 to play at a championship level… it’s childish hero worship. You’re like a rabid Taylor Swift fan.
Whatever, bro. You never answered my question... what's your assessment of the team's fiscal responsibility heading into 2023? I want to know how many games they're going to win.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back