PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

lolphins: Mike Tannenbaum takes over football operations

After employing ex-Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum as a consultant last year, the Dolphins are adding him to an executive’s position in the front office.

The Dolphins will hire Tannenbaum as executive vice president of of football operations, PFT’s Mike Florio reports.

Interesting move by the aquatic mammals...

We just need the Jets to hire Marrone, and the Bills to hire Sexy Rexy. And, we're Back To The Future II

LOL. On Finheaven (the Dolphins message board) the hire is universally being trashed

LOL. On Finheaven (the Dolphins message board) the hire is universally being trashed

Why? He did such a great job with the Jets ;).

It will be a little bit interesting to see how much of what he did in New York was him, and how much was influenced by Woody Johnson trying to sell PSLs.

Mike Tannenbaum's cap management with the Jets was egregious, but he presided over some darn good draft picks during his tenure (2006-2011 drafts):

- Got D'Brickashaw Ferguson (#4) and Nick Mangold (#28) in 2006. Mangold was one of the best picks in the draft.
- Traded up to get Darrelle Revis (#14) and David Harris (#47) in 2007. Revis was one of the best picks in the draft.
- Picked Muhammad Wilkerson in 2011 (#30) and . Wilkerson was one of the best picks in the draft.

He made more than his share of mistakes and left the team in cap hell, but he was a lot better at finding talent than his successor.

Tannenbaum was overall probably a bit better than his reviews. He helped build a very good roster that culminated in that 2010 team which had a better roster than the Pats did. If he made a mistake it was deciding to go all in with Farve and those other big contracts. Who knows what would have happened if Farve remained healthy that year. Or if Sanchez had been better coached or worked out. I'm surprised he extended the run as far as he did. But eventually it came crashing down on him and he took the fall like the good soldier he was.

I don't know if "going all in" was his idea, Rex's idea, or Woody's. Its not necessarily the wrong strategy, just not the one we use here. With most teams its the only way to break into the top end of the league. IMHO its not a bad choice, just not an inspired one

Mike Tannenbaum's cap management with the Jets was egregious, but he presided over some darn good draft picks during his tenure (2006-2011 drafts):

- Got D'Brickashaw Ferguson (#4) and Nick Mangold (#28) in 2006. Mangold was one of the best picks in the draft.
- Traded up to get Darrelle Revis (#14) and David Harris (#47) in 2007. Revis was one of the best picks in the draft.
- Picked Muhammad Wilkerson in 2011 (#30) and . Wilkerson was one of the best picks in the draft.

He made more than his share of mistakes and left the team in cap hell, but he was a lot better at finding talent than his successor.
Credit Rat for their draft success- not Tanny

Well he is basically *the* authority on driving a mediocre team into cap hell, so if that's what the Dolphins are looking for then they'd be foolish not to pounce.

Tannenbaum was overall probably a bit better than his reviews. He helped build a very good roster that culminated in that 2010 team which had a better roster than the Pats did. If he made a mistake it was deciding to go all in with Farve and those other big contracts. Who knows what would have happened if Farve remained healthy that year. Or if Sanchez had been better coached or worked out. I'm surprised he extended the run as far as he did. But eventually it came crashing down on him and he took the fall like the good soldier he was.

I don't know if "going all in" was his idea, Rex's idea, or Woody's. Its not necessarily the wrong strategy, just not the one we use here. With most teams its the only way to break into the top end of the league. IMHO its not a bad choice, just not an inspired one

I would say that it's definitively the wrong strategy when an early-20s Mark Sanchez is your QB. IMO going all in is only sensible when you have a top-tier QB who has a definitive window. If I'm the Broncos or the Saints (or, to a lesser degree, the Pats) right now, I'd entertain going all in. Although the downside is that sometimes going all in leaves you with the 2014 Saints.

mjlol.png

They want the team moved to LA...hahahaha what a joke of a franchise

I would say that it's definitively the wrong strategy when an early-20s Mark Sanchez is your QB. IMO going all in is only sensible when you have a top-tier QB who has a definitive window. If I'm the Broncos or the Saints (or, to a lesser degree, the Pats) right now, I'd entertain going all in. Although the downside is that sometimes going all in leaves you with the 2014 Saints.
I don't disagree with anything that you said, but I think when Tannenbaum initiated the all or nothing strategy he probably knew he had a 4 or 5 year window before it would crash down upon him.

He was building that team around what was to be Bret Farve's final 3 or 4 years. When his elbow went when the Jets were 8-3, he knew he had to go to plan B. I don't remember who was a QB FA back in 2009, but clearly he thought his best chance lay at one of the top college QB's coming out that year.

In hindsight its easy to disparage the Sanchez pick, but at the time it was considered a decent pick. Also, we've seen ourselves games where Sanchez has played very well at times. You have to wonder that if he'd gone into the right system and had a year or 2 to mature, how Sanchez's career might have turned out. He's done OK in his first year with Chip, but he had 5 years of bad coaching to unlearn, so he might get better if he stays with Philly. OR it could be that Sanchez is nothing more than an above average back up.

Either way, the bulk of Tannenbaum's time as the GM 2008-20011 could be considered a high point of the Jet franchise since 1969. So like I said, he may not be an inspired choice, but better than most people perceive.

I don't disagree with anything that you said, but I think when Tannenbaum initiated the all or nothing strategy he probably knew he had a 4 or 5 year window before it would crash down upon him.

He was building that team around what was to be Bret Farve's final 3 or 4 years. When his elbow went when the Jets were 8-3, he knew he had to go to plan B. I don't remember who was a QB FA back in 2009, but clearly he thought his best chance lay at one of the top college QB's coming out that year. it was a stereotypical case of a guy playing in a stacked lineup against inferior competition week in and week out. So his bulk stats looked fine, but he rarely made more than one read, he was inconsistent at best on the occasions that he had to throw into tight spaces, and he didn't have standout athleticism or arm strength to set him apart. He was just fine at USC, but every year there are a half dozen prospects just as good as him who don't even get early-round consideration, let alone top of the first. I was ecstatic when the Jets drafted him.

In hindsight its easy to disparage the Sanchez pick, but at the time it was considered a decent pick. Also, we've seen ourselves games where Sanchez has played very well at times. You have to wonder that if he'd gone into the right system and had a year or 2 to mature, how Sanchez's career might have turned out. He's done OK in his first year with Chip, but he had 5 years of bad coaching to unlearn, so he might get better if he stays with Philly. OR it could be that Sanchez is nothing more than an above average back up.

Either way, the bulk of Tannenbaum's time as the GM 2008-20011 could be considered a high point of the Jet franchise since 1969. So like I said, he may not be an inspired choice, but better than most people perceive.

I dunno, living out in LA I watched a bunch of Sanchez in his one year starting at USC, and I was near positive that he would be a bust. To this day, I'll never understand how anyone watched his college tape and thought that he would be an effective pro QB. His only chance to make it as a pro would have been to go somewhere where his entire decisionmaking process could be broken down and reassembled, and at that point you kinda have to question if it's even worth the effort.

To the extent that he hasn't been awful in Philly--and he has been bad in a nearly QB-proof system that requires him to make zero complex reads or especially quick decisions--the little bit of good is still far outweighed by the unfathomably awful turnovers. He just sucks, and he always will.

I would agree that Tannenbaum coincided with hte high point of the Jet franchise, but it simultaneously must be acknowledged that the high point wasn't even all that good. A barely-over-.500 team twice got just a tiny bit hot, won a couple games, and made it a round or so further than they reasonably should have. That two year stretch would be considered the definitive low point over the past 15 years if it happened to the Pats.

I don't think Tannenbaum was the worst GM. Plenty of GMs have destroyed their salary cap, and he at least had a few good draft picks to go along with it. But if we're dishing out credit for the meager success that the Jets had from 2008-2011, even then I think Rex deserves most of it.

his Drafts were pretty good his FA pick ups were not

I dunno, living out in LA I watched a bunch of Sanchez in his one year starting at USC, and I was near positive that he would be a bust. To this day, I'll never understand how anyone watched his college tape and thought that he would be an effective pro QB. His only chance to make it as a pro would have been to go somewhere where his entire decisionmaking process could be broken down and reassembled, and at that point you kinda have to question if it's even worth the effort.

To the extent that he hasn't been awful in Philly--and he has been bad in a nearly QB-proof system that requires him to make zero complex reads or especially quick decisions--the little bit of good is still far outweighed by the unfathomably awful turnovers. He just sucks, and he always will.

I would agree that Tannenbaum coincided with hte high point of the Jet franchise, but it simultaneously must be acknowledged that the high point wasn't even all that good. A barely-over-.500 team twice got just a tiny bit hot, won a couple games, and made it a round or so further than they reasonably should have. That two year stretch would be considered the definitive low point over the past 15 years if it happened to the Pats.

I don't think Tannenbaum was the worst GM. Plenty of GMs have destroyed their salary cap, and he at least had a few good draft picks to go along with it. But if we're dishing out credit for the meager success that the Jets had from 2008-2011, even then I think Rex deserves most of it.
I'd argue that Mangini deserves more the either one of them.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back