PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LOL, Rolling Stone just released their special "we all got beat by the Patriots" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've missed my point @Rob0729. Manning is celebrated for statistics, much like Luck. In that regard, the Colts have replaced Manning with Manning.

Sorry. A lot of people think Luck is a clone of Manning and they are very similar QBs. So when people write what you wrote, I never know if they actually mean what you meant or that Luck really is Manning 2.0.

Perhaps this is the wrong time to bring this up but...

How do we feel about Tony Romo over Andrew Luck? At least at this point in their careers?

Because personally, I'd rather have Romo (to play one season under center for us) than Luck at this point.

If the refs in the NFC Divisional Round weren't blinded by idiocy, we very well may have had a Pats-Cowboys Superbowl.

And oh, how America would have loved that one.

They were excellent if your quarterback put up points consistently, which Peyton did. They dared you to run the ball believing you couldn't score fast enough that way and they stopped the run through scheming on crucial downs. They were fast, but awful against the run which showed even in their championship season when Denver started ripping 5-10 yard chunks up the middle and they had to go out and acquire Booger McFarland to stop the bleeding.

I didn't say they were bad, just that they were built to complement a guy who put up points quick and would be exposed if a team could stop Peyton and win with the run, which most teams could not.

Even when they got Booger their run D sucked.

If you are going to pick on JMD's playcalling, that 2006 AFCCG is it. 3minutes to go. Up 34-31 Pass. Pass. Pass. Played right to the strength of that D.

The personnel they drafted and acquired was fitted to play that pressure-the-QB style. Even when they were the #2 scoring defense they were gashed vs the run. They just didn't make it a priority.

This colts team hasn't patched it's weaknesses, or Luck isn't peyton, probably both.

Totally agree. They are soft as poop.

Seems to me that Grigson is trying to do the same thing. The problem is that he does not have Freeny, Mathis and Bob Sanders in their prime to execute the plan.

Sorry. A lot of people think Luck is a clone of Manning and they are very similar QBs. So when people write what you wrote, I never know if they actually mean what you meant or that Luck really is Manning 2.0.
That's fair and I probably should have qualified that in my statement. As for your comparison with Favre, I tend to agree. Luck is more gunslinger than not.

I'm just surprised that Rolling Stone included Dez Bryant in that group. I suppose it makes for interesting reading.

Wilson and Luck are clearly the new pretty boys of the NFL, so they are to be expected.
Pretty boys, you say?

And tell me again what penalties the Colts received for intentionally, obviously tanking games in order to get a competitive advantage in the draft so that they could pick Luck.

Andrew Luck is the most overrated player in the NFL. The guy is a very good QB, but he is not an elite QB. He makes way too many mistakes. He is too much of a gunslinger. His ceiling is Brett Favre and he hasn't gotten close to his ceiling. Yes, Favre was the best of his generation, but his generation sucked.

The AFCC proved it. I mean if Luck had arrived like people says he has he doesn't put up a terrible performance like that

Doing a search on PFR, trying to find similar performances in the playoffs, these are the players

Tim Tebow, Dieter Brock (vs '85 Bears) Ron Jaworski, and Billy Wade

Last edited:
The AFCC proved it. I mean if Luck had arrived like people says he has he doesn't put up a terrible performance like that

Doing a search on PFR, trying to find similar performances in the playoffs, these are the players

Tim Tebow, Dieter Brock (vs '85 Bears) Ron Jaworski, and Billy Wade

That year the NFCCG was on before the Pats Fins AFCCG. I remember watching it.

To this day I have never seen a QB play an entire game and be so thoroughly beat up and destroyed than Deiter Brock was in that game. I felt bad for the guy.

Fair enough. It seems I missed that aspect when skimming through this thread.

People may make a Wilson argument, but I'd side with you on luck in that regard.

I'd probably drop Brees and have E. Manning in that list as (down a few) well (as much as that pains me)

Edit: drop Brees down a few and have eli in the mix. Posting from my phone...always an expirament...
Old post, but I wouldnt walk away from Brees just yet. Brees has accomplishments with a bad defense over the years, opposite of Eli. Minus the one ring.
I respect the opinion, and know some think Brees is washed up after last season, even though we still had a top 1-5 offense with a losing record. Our defense has never been very good. I would wait a bit and see what happens. Brees is no Brady, but I wouldn't put Eli above him just yet. I think the people saying he is washed up might be mistaken.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total
I think he cost us games with interceptions. Im the 1st to admit that, but he was hurt I found out later
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/08/new_orleans_saints_drew_brees_60.html

1. Most 5,000-yard passing seasons: 4 (2008, 2011-13).

Other NFL quarterbacks have combined for four all-time, the same amount Brees has by himself. Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Tom Brady and Matthew Stafford each has one.

2. Consecutive 4,000-yard passing seasons: 9 (2006-14).

Manning is second all-time with six. The only quarterbacks with a current streak of at least four are Matt Ryan, Brady and Stafford.

Not only does Brees have nine consecutive 4,000-yard seasons, he has nine consecutive 4,300-yard seasons. Manning, Stafford and Ryan currently have three such seasons in a row.

3. Completion percentage for a single season: 71.2% (2011).

Brees also is tied for second at 70.6% in 2009 with Ken Anderson's 1982 season. Tony Romo's percentage of 69.9% last year is sixth all-time.

4. Most completions in a single season: 468 (2011).

Last season, Brees completed 456 passes, the second most in NFL history. Manning is third at 450 (2010, 2013). Brees is fifth (448, 2010), sixth (446, 2013) and seventh (440, 2007).

5. Consecutive games with a TD pass: 54 (2009-12).

Brees has the longest current streak at 36. Yes, he has thrown a TD pass in every game since not throwing one against Atlanta in 2012. No other quarterback enters this season with a streak of at least 20 games.

It's worth noting that Manning had a 51-game streak snapped in 2014 by the Rams, and Brady had a 52-game run ended in 2013 by the Bengals.

6. Consecutive games with 300 yards passing: 9 (2011-12; 2012-13).

Brees is tied with himself for this record. Only Eli Manning enters this season with a streak of two consecutive 300-yard games. Last year, Andrew Luck had a string of eight consecutive 300-yard passing games.

7. Consecutive games with at least 20 completions: 57 (2009-13).

The longest current streak is held by Eli Manning and Ryan, who are at 10 each. If they continued to hit the mark, they would pass Brees at the end of the 2017 season.

8. Most passing yards in a single season -- regular season plus postseason: 6,404 (2011).

Peyton Manning broke Brees' record for most yards in a season two years ago by one yard (5,477 to 5,476). But Brees threw for more yards in two playoff games in 2011 than Manning did in three playoff games in 2013. Manning finished with 6,387 combined passing yards that season. (This is not recognized as an official NFL record, as the league keeps regular-season and postseason statistics separate.)

9. Most consecutive attempts in the playoffs without an interception: 226 (includes five straight games).

The longest current streak is Eli Manning at 112.

Bonus record. Consecutive seasons with at least 30 touchdown passes: 7 (2008-14).

Brett Favre has the second-longest run at five seasons from 1994-98. Peyton Manning is the only current signal-caller with a string of three seasons of 30 scoring throws.

The lowest number of touchdown passes Brees has posted in his streak is 33.

Last edited:
We had his number but more than his number we've had the Colts D's number......and what do you base him being MVP this year on?

Bingo ... The best defense against any offense is to simply keep them off the field. 8-9 minute drive, grinding it out, takes Luck out of his game and forces a heave-and-hope mentality.

No, it's not. All you have to do is watch him play.

If Brady retired tomorrow, and the Patriots could take any QB in the league except Rodgers (or JAG, to quiet the homers), Andrew Luck would be the guy they picked.

And rightly so.

I would just draft another QB or take Flacco because he's younger than the other good ones. I don't see the big deal about Luck, I really don't.

I seriously cannot understand why anyone has an issue with Luck. He's not a ****, he's said over and over that we beat them fair and square and he's a great young QB who has lived up to the hype.

He's a cool dude, great, but he's overrated as a QB. He's just like Favre in his final seasons or Eli Manning in a lousier divison and on a easier schedule.

The Colts have made really nice improvements on offense. Luck had 40 TDs last year. No reason he can't push for 45+ this season. Plus their schedule is complete cake. They will go undefeated in their division and ultimately end up 12-4 or 13-3, which will be good enough for Luck to win MVP.

His schedule has always been "complete cake" that's why he always loses against good teams and pad his stats. He's not even close to Manning, even Manning now with one arm would dominate in that same divison and that schedule and go one and done in the playoffs.

Why?

I do expect I thought out reply, not "it's his time." There is absolutely nothing to support this, at all.

The dude only led the league last season in td's thrown in only his third season.

I seriously cannot understand why anyone has an issue with Luck. He's not a ****, he's said over and over that we beat them fair and square and he's a great young QB who has lived up to the hype.
It's not Luck people have an issue with.

It's the Luck hype train most people can't stand.

You should probably take another look at the guy then. And keep in mind he's only 25.

I know Luck is 25, but "outside of Rodgers" I would definitely take Brees, Romo, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Manning's one arm with a loaded offense, Flacco, Foles and maybe Alex Smith (very reliable QB) over Luck. I picked Flacco because he is younger than the others I've listed. If Brees were younger and Brady didnt exist, I'd take him in a heartbeat, over any QB including Rodgers. I wouldn't even consider Luck because he gives the game away vs worthy opponents. We talk about his D sucking but Lucks gives the other team points every time he turns the ball over. They wouldn't even be in the position to lose if Luck wasn't so careless with the ball.

I'm not saying Luck isn't a good QB, I'm just saying he's not worthy of his hype. He's just like Stafford, except less injury prone.

It's not Luck people have an issue with.

It's the Luck hype train most people can't stand.

Exactly!

I know Luck is 25, but "outside of Rodgers" I would definitely take Brees, Romo, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Manning's one arm with a loaded offense, Flacco, Foles and maybe Alex Smith (very reliable QB) over Luck.

Crazy talk

I'm not saying Luck isn't a good QB, I'm just saying he's not worthy of his hype. He's just like Stafford, except less injury prone.
Look, this board is for sharing opinions, so have at it.

But I'm guessing that that's going to be an opinion you won't be bragging about in a few years.

It's true the Patriots have had Andrew Luck's number for whatever reason. But I feel this is the season he becomes MVP and finally beats us (in the regular season)
Man 16 disagrees. That I think is a record! Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back