PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Local Media: Why is it...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Every time I log onto Patsfans and scan the Globe-Projo sports headlines; it seems like I am reading the same paper with different editors.

How is it that they come up routinely with the EXACT SAME story ideas on the same day.

Today it is Gaffney. Both Young and Gasper (Projo & Globe respectively) write essentially the same story. 'Great find....consistent wr.... blah blah'

Is this symptomatic ....

A. That the PATS are giving the media a story line that they want the focus for the day to be?

B. That the reporters are colluding together, sharing sources and then end up with the same data to write from.... or even deliberately planning the same story?

C. That one starts writing the story and the other just routinely steals their idea or copies it and re-writes to prevent plagiarism charges?

I like to read the articles; but I start to wonder sometimes about whether there actually is anything but journalistic laziness out there anymore.

Re: Local Media: Why is it....?

Every time I log onto Patsfans and scan the Globe-Projo sports headlines; it seems like I am reading the same paper with different editors.

How is it that they come up routinely with the EXACT SAME story ideas on the same day.

Today it is Gaffney. Both Young and Gasper (Projo & Globe respectively) write essentially the same story. 'Great find....consistent wr.... blah blah'

Is this symptomatic ....

A. That the PATS are giving the media a story line that they want the focus for the day to be?

B. That the reporters are colluding together, sharing sources and then end up with the same data to write from.... or even deliberately planning the same story?

C. That one starts writing the story and the other just routinely steals their idea or copies it and re-writes to prevent plagiarism charges?

I like to read the articles; but I start to wonder sometimes about whether there actually is anything but journalistic laziness out there anymore.

If the team makes, say for example, Jordan available to the assembled media, then that is what makes the papers. You have the same group, massed around the same available player, at the same time. It's been like that for a long time.

Typically all the local players have similiar stories on the same player because that is the player who was available for interviews the previous day. Gaffney gave a group interview yesterday to all the media. That means every paper had all the same quotes and would logically have similiar angles on thise story.

Plus, they will probably run with the same run-of-the-mill stories because they have no access to the team. Trust for Boston's local media with the Pats isn't exactly at an all time high.

Is this symptomatic ....

Gumby,

As a member of the local media who is at Gillette on a regular basis, I can address that issue. First, with the sheer number of reporters covering the team on a daily basis, there's bound to be more than one story a day on a topic. That's just the case with any major market. Two, there are some days where you go in with a specific story idea, but circumstances prevent you from going through with the story. As an example, I had a story idea this morning that involved me speaking with Marcus Pollard. However, he wasn't made available to the media, so I had to change direction on the fly and go to a secondary idea I had that involved Tedy Bruschi. Bruschi WAS available, and spoke with several reporters on a wide variety of topics. (One of which you'll be able to read about in my story tomorrow.)

Not every player feels like speaking every day, so you sort of have to make do. (As an example, there were large crowds of media today around a variety of players, including Bruschi. Kevin Faulk, LaMont Jordan and Sam Aiken.) However, I can assure you that there's no colluding or story-stealing going on among the media.

Hope that cleared things up for you.

Regards,
Chris

Gumby,

As a member of the local media who is at Gillette on a regular basis, I can address that issue. First, with the sheer number of reporters covering the team on a daily basis, there's bound to be more than one story a day on a topic. That's just the case with any major market. Two, there are some days where you go in with a specific story idea, but circumstances prevent you from going through with the story. As an example, I had a story idea this morning that involved me speaking with Marcus Pollard. However, he wasn't made available to the media, so I had to change direction on the fly and go to a secondary idea I had that involved Tedy Bruschi. Bruschi WAS available, and spoke with several reporters on a wide variety of topics. (One of which you'll be able to read about in my story tomorrow.)

Not every player feels like speaking every day, so you sort of have to make do. (As an example, there were large crowds of media today around a variety of players, including Bruschi. Kevin Faulk, LaMont Jordan and Sam Aiken.) However, I can assure you that there's no colluding or story-stealing going on among the media.

Hope that cleared things up for you.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks for taking the time to read and responsd Chris. Your columns and interviews are very nice! Please keep up the good work.

Thanks for taking the time to read and responsd Chris. Your columns and interviews are very nice! Please keep up the good work.

NYCPatsFan,

I appreciate the kind words, and I'm glad I could help.

Chris

Dittos chris. Thanks for feedback.

I would appreciate reading / seeing more variety. Like to see guys who dig up their own angle and not just spoon feed the daily press conf back.

In a media market where we have a number of guys you wouldn't give time of day to (just see other threads); thanks also for being one of the good ones.

Dittos chris. Thanks for feedback.

I would appreciate reading / seeing more variety. Like to see guys who dig up their own angle and not just spoon feed the daily press conf back.

In a media market where we have a number of guys you wouldn't give time of day to (just see other threads); thanks also for being one of the good ones.

No worries--thanks for the kind words, Gumby. I appreciate it.

No worries--thanks for the kind words, Gumby. I appreciate it.

Christopher, if you don't mind me asking, what is the media's view of the Herald and John Tomase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News