PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Let's Talk Free Agency 2024

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently drafting a wide receiver, who doesn’t consistently separate is only a problem if Bill drafts him, because Coleman can’t separate for ****. Pass. Give me Legette or even Polk over him.
Coleman makes high level contested catches though and Polk is of a similar ilk. I'd take both over Legette.

Is Dugger worth $16M?

Need a FS. Unfortunately Winfield Jr. probably not available.

Xavier McKinney next man up.

20240218_145750.jpg

Of the top 3 UFA WRs, looks like Evans is the best on this chart, followed by Pittman and Higgins. Beckham in the really good circle (along w/ Myers).

The Pats receivers mainly suck (lower left quadrant). Douglas is the best in the lower right. Surprisingly, JuJu is in upper left but this includes last season. Ridley is right next to Douglas, as is Noah Brown.

Not looking good for the UFA list since Higgins and Pittman probably get tagged. Evans is the only high end WR1-type that we don't have and need. It'll be interesting to see what happens w/ TB. The rest (aside for Beckham) are similar to Douglas or to our bad WRs.

As far as TEs, Schultz is better than Henry (& younger), Fant and Everett.

Conclusion: slim pickings
Target: Evans (WR-1), Schultz (TE-1), Beckham (instead of Bourne). Evans should be the only expensive one.

I know Evans and Beckham are on the wrong side of 30, so it depends on what happens at QB, obviously.

1. Sign a top 15 vet QB: get Evans/Beckham + draft WRs
2. Draft QB w/ #3 + sign bridge QB: just get WRs in the draft, maybe just sign Beckham to a 1-yr deal to give O some life (save the $).
3. Draft WR a/o LT w/ #3 and a QB w/ lower pick + sign bridge QB: same as 2 above.

NOTE: Aside from Steelers, every team that made the playoffs had 1 or more receivers in the circles shown on the below chart. You need one of these type of guys.

20240219_091728.jpg

Time to talk FA QB - because there's no way they put all eggs in a Rookie draft pick, and Mac is not a mature leader.
With AVP in place, it's fair to suggest they bring in a QB that he's had previous experience with...

The most likely IMO - Baker, Brissett, Dalton, Keenum
I know Baker could thrive here. He's the guy we love to hate, but he's a blue-collar NE type attitude. Problem is, its very unlikely he leaves Tampa after that 1st year success.
The other 3 would be very short term Vets to just give the presumed 1st rounder time.

I would try to sign Tannehill to a 2 year deal so he can start while either Daniels or Maye sit their first season.

Yep, FA is not going to be the fix alot of people think it is. I think it will be better used replace guys on D with vets (either guys that have left, or can be upgraded) and focus the draft on getting younger more talented on O. Plus we have 25 guys listed as defensive players coming up on FA in '24 and '25, you can't just completely ignore that side of the ball.

I agree. I don’t think this is the rear to go for big ticket items in free agency.. Even if they make the right moves this offseason I don’t see them making the playoffs next season. So they would be wasting that money for at least a year. Whereas if they use it to pay their own guys, and build a good foundation they can go into the next offseason with a clear idea of what they are in good shape at, and the players that can really make them better. This is when I think they can make the bigger moves.

When you can take 3 and get a generational WR to match with a young Untapped potential QB who athletically rivals Jayden Daniels but is stronger and faster with a bigger arm it’s gotta be in the conversation.

History tells us that it is better than 50/50 that one of the other WR drafted will have a better career than Harrison.

Seems like Pittman, Evans and Ridley won’t get franchised. I hope the Pats are in on all 3 in free agency.

I would love to see the Pats add a starting caliber boundary corner, penetrating defensive tackle to play next to Barmore, a rush backer opposite Judon, a receiver, an rb and a tight end.

The teams biggest needs LT and Qb will need to be addressed at the draft because the talent just isn’t there in free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes