PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's talk about the lines: OFFENSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you for the most part, Ken. I cannot, however, get the images and the bad taste they left, of Wendell's performance against Denver in the playoff game. IMO, he's a competent regular season center but...and perhaps Gronk's absence played a part, but he was badly overmatched by the Denver DT that a game later was practically invisible versus Seattle. It HAS TO BE related.

Where do you think Gymrat went?

fisherman-loves-fish.jpg

What happened to Wendall! Just theories but I see similar problems with him as other patriot OLineman that struggled in the past. Now I have no idea what the assignments and schemes are. I do know the center often pulls,makes line calls like, identify blitzes and determine if he has to pick him up or help one of the guards double team a menacing DT,or pick up a DT himself so a guard can help the OT or the guard have to block the DE(especially 3-4 ends but also 4-3 ends) so the OT can pick up a rush OLB or blitzing OLB the TE or RB can't handle. The great centers like the Pounceys Mangold Kalil Wood can do something the other centers struggle with.they can handle the Better DTs without any help. Or when they pull they can can fit on a DE or LB and pretext the edge if they have to with no problem. But mostly other than just playing heads up they can be counted on lock horns with a Geno Atkins or Raji and without collapsing. When your center can do that it frees the guards up to do whatever. Most "solid" centers play the intelligence part and are good technicians but can't be counted on to man up. They simply look to help one of the guards or pull and help another lineman,pick up a delayed blitz or look for a hit the second level. So a limited guard can look quite good at times by just being a good technician and making correct calls on who to help or block. But what happens when he is forced to have to man up a DT repeatedly. And if defenses realize he struggles with it,they can use passrush formations and blitzes that forces Center-DT matchup. If the center consistently crumbles or allows penetration, the QB consistently faces pressure up the middle.

I'm also not a big fan of G/C 's who are good technicians but lack power. Or OLines as a whole who are good technicians and depend on double team blocks. The may provide decent protection but they are always treading waves and barely keeping their head above water. Meaning they don't get any movement on their guy and are usually giving some ground themselves. These guys always get exposed eventually. Like the 2007 super bowl. It was kept behind closed doors but coaches/Brady/Moss/Welker were so pissed off at the OLine,downright furious. Anyways that's what happens eventually.

Like a boxer who is a good technician. No not like Mayweather or good boxer-punchers whospeed talent. I mean technicians that lack power and speed. They beat other limited skilled boxers who also arent technicians and put up good competitive fights against the top dynamic boxers that possesses power and speed. They tread waves for several rounds But in the end they are exposed and knocked out or beaten up to the point the fight is stopped. And when do they get exposed? You guessed it in big fights going for a championship title belt when facing the best.

I'm a fan of NFL lineman with upside to be coached/developed. Because we can hope he improves. The Wendall's and Connolly's and Kaczurs's that's it that's the ballgame with them. They are not going to miraculously stop getting pushed around when they lack the power and upside. BTW I'm not a huge fan of Kline other than maybe a backup. Wanting to try him as a starter is asking for trouble.

I know I get over enthused over some of our players and ramble. I apologize. But after watching so many players that doesn't have what it takes to become impact players, I get excited at idea of coaching up players with top shelf or upper call brand raw talent! These are the players who if coached up and given oppurtunity can fill our weaknesses,make an impact and help us get over that hump. Fleming(as guard) HALAPIO(as center)\ Cannon (guard)/Buchannan/Moore/Easley/Collins(blitzing more often)/Kenbrell/Dobson/Boyce/Ryan.Game changing additions we don't have to give up a first rounder for or break the Bank like to get like Finley/CARL NICKS!!/Johnson(will restructure) Or trading for talented/underrated players with impact raw talent that's underachieved on bad teams with bad coaching/systems/motivation/work habits. Players who I think playing for us with our coaching/discipline/motivation/work habits/pride will break out. So far I just scouted the WR position. So players I firmly believe will flourish here are Denarius Moore/Brian Quick/AJ Jenkins/Housler. Each WR has Top shelf talent in their own way. Neither should cost more than a #3 pick or Ryan Mallet. Especially Denarius Moore who Sterling Sharp firmly Said has top 10 Talent.

wow!! PARAGRAPHS!!!

Good job, Craig

I agree with you for the most part, Ken. I cannot, however, get the images and the bad taste they left, of Wendell's performance against Denver in the playoff game. IMO, he's a competent regular season center but...and perhaps Gronk's absence played a part, but he was badly overmatched by the Denver DT that a game later was practically invisible versus Seattle. It HAS TO BE related.

I think Koppen wasn't real stout and Wendell's worse. I'm no expert, but you can see a nose tackle just own someone.

I think the new coach is bringing a new more physical approach and the draftees validate that.

Last edited:

Wendell's never been a good center. He's a backup forced to start because BB made the mistake of ditching Koppen before he had a competent replacement.

wow!! PARAGRAPHS!!!

Good job, Craig
Sorry,sometimes when I'm on a thought or subject im excited about I keep going without pausing for a breather

Tour basing opinions on people on the line starting and going to the pro bowl at positions they haven't played on minicamp?

Yep Yep or at least very close to pro bowl caliber!

I'm usually pretty good projecting Linemans ability for the NFL. Wish I could as good projecting QBs. LOL.

My crystal ball isn't always accurate on QBs NFL play.

While on the subject, Nick O'Malley (does the Springfield Republican only hire sports writers named Nick?) has this column today - although he too is unfortunately yet another writer that finds it necessary to rely on PFF stats as part of his analysis.

New England Patriots Roster Bubble Watch: The price tag for G Dan Connolly presents a problem | masslive.com

The Patriots have multiple pillars up front to build their offensive line around in tackles Sebastian Vollmer and Nate Solder as well as left guard Logan Mankins. However, Connolly, along with center Ryan Wendell (another issue for another day), are coming off subpar seasons. The Patriots could move forward into the 2014 season by deciding to turn to cheaper alternatives at those two spots.

The one asset the Connolly has in spades is versatility. If there's one that that's going to keep him on the roster, it's his ability to play both guard positions as well as center without any significant drop off. Connolly also excels as a run blocker, something that has become even more apparent in the last couple seasons as the Patriots relied more on their run game.​

No mention of the two concussions he suffered last season. Cumulative effects MUST be taken into account IMO.

I think the new coach is bringing a new more physical approach and the draftees validate that.

I certainly hope that you're right, RayClay.

I certainly hope that you're right, RayClay.

He has a rep as a smashmouth advocate. He's coached 22 years, but i can't find a good article because he spit on someone's shoes during 1 year with the Jets.:rolleyes:

Here's a vid and an audio

Britanny twinkie manages to avoid asking any football questions during an entire interview.

http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/Patriots_Play_60/a4dce310-3678-4624-adee-56b0db746992

audio

http://www.miamidolphins.com/multim...uglielmo/4030bae3-26ce-49d0-ab57-b0c70b1df897

There was a good article by an actual sports reporter, but I'll be damned if i can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes