PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's Put An End To the Maroney Madness(X3 Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Let's Put An End To the Maroney Madness

"I <name>, being of the firm belief that Maroney is a good and legitimate #1 NFL RB, do affirm that Maroney will prove his abilities by rushing for at least 100 yards each against the NY Jets (#30 ranked rushing defense), and the Miami Dolphins (#32 ranked rushing defense) in the next 2 weeks."

Do you have the guts to stand by your convictions, or will you snipe from the bushes instead of standing up for "your guy" Maroney?

So far only Emoney has had the guts to join the list.

and of course , you didn't get what Mo was trying to say....if the Pats can throw the ball on the Jets, and score 5 TD doing so, why change the game plan just to accommodated what people perceive is the right way . What part of Historically great passing offense you didn't get?

Re: Let's Put An End To the Maroney Madness(X2 Merged)

I can resolve this debate right here. Cant we all agree that:

It is reasonable to be concerned about Maroney because sometimes it looks like he does not see the field well and his results have not been good this year. However the jury is still out on Maroney because he is young, has great talent and yes there is no need to run the ball most times when you can pass it like the Pats do.

First off, I didn't call you a jacka$$.. Get your facts straight.
Secondly, what you, NSA, and Danny88 don't seem to understand is that I have taken a wait and see attitude with Maroney. What galls me is the haters who spew stupidity and look at things in a vacuum. They ignore GLARING facts that put the situation into context. They make baseless assumptions that are the equivalent of 1+1=3.

But you thought "jacka s s", didn't you? LOL!

Honestly, I have no problem with any of your opinions, brah. Nor with anyone else's.

But I definitely have mine, too.

"I <name>, being of the firm belief that Maroney is a good and legitimate #1 NFL RB, do affirm that Maroney will prove his abilities by rushing for at least 100 yards each against the NY Jets (#30 ranked rushing defense), and the Miami Dolphins (#32 ranked rushing defense) in the next 2 weeks."

Do you have the guts to stand by your convictions, or will you snipe from the bushes instead of standing up for "your guy" Maroney?

You can't ask for a better matchup than the #30 and #32 ranked rushing defenses in the league. You show a disturbing lack of faith for someone who has been so vehement in your defense of Maroney. So do you have the balls to bet that Maroney will justify your faith, or deep down, do you also harbor doubts? It's all very simple. Can he rush for 100 against the weakest run D's in the league, or can't he?

Why on earth would I do this when I expect the team to come off the bus throwing long to Moss?

This is precisely what I mean by your displaying your ignorance (unless, of course, you're knowingly being disingenuous).

1.) Getting 100 yards wouldn't prove Maroney is a "good and legitimate #1 NFL Rb to people like you. The proof of this is that he's already done it once this year and that hasn't convinced you. Nor should a player getting 100 yards in any one game be taken as such proof.

2.) AGAIN..... this team is chasing ALL-TIME PASSING RECORDS. It's going up against a Jets team with a weak group of cornerbacks.

3.) This is the payback game. Why would you expect BB to run the ball and take time off the clock when he can pass and run up the score?

So far only Emoney has had the guts to join the list.

No offense, but there is a reason I never participate in the predict the score contest - winning bets and guessing right isn't what being a Pat's fan or a football fan is all about for me. I admire this team as a whole, and strive to understand and appreciate what it is that they do and why they do it that makes them so consistently good. Not that I have narry a quibble with their decisions from time to time, because nobody's perfect, but I don't delude myself into thinking that as I sit here a my computer I know more about winning football championships than they do.

I'm just not into chest thumping about how smart I think my opinions, however informed or kneejerk, make me as a fan... 'cause I fully grasp it's not about me - it's what they think or do that matters.

Morris will be back. Maroney, Morris, Faulk, Evans and Eckle's mere existence tells me that RB is not going to be a concern to be addressed in 2008 or likely 2009, sad to say for all the I want the can't miss RB of the 2008 draft fans. Upgrading the Oline to multitask, along with replenishing talent on defense and maintaining/retaining talent on offense will be the off season goals for the forseeable future.

Wether they do or do not decide to upgrade the rb position next year will not affect the lack of production by Maroney this year.

They know what Maroney is capable of doing in optimum circumstances. They also know what he is less capable of doing when circumstances are not. They are not interested in beating the crap out of him unnecessarily to prove a moot point, no matter how much the fans and media clamor for them to. They've talked about making adjustments to the blocking scheme to better suit the skill set of the player they drafted. He's only 22, so they have a little time yet to get to that. This year the line has it's hands full pass blocking to take advantage of an historic passing offense. They quite possibly need another off season to make a zone blocking transition, and that may even require upgrades along the line that will pay dividends in the pass blocking down the road.

So far, what he has been capable of in this years circumstances is equivelent to an average back.

So kvetching about Maroney's performance this season is just that, little nemites who are sure they know better who can't be reasoned with because it's not about winning for them, it's about being perceived as somehow smarter than the braintrust and the rest of us koolaid swilling homers. Arguing with those kind of irrational blowhards is a total waste of time and energy because their opinions were etched in stone the day they first spewed them. If Bill showed up here and told them they were totally off base, they would insist he's lying or in denial.

Are you telling me, game on the line, all you need is a first down to win, you don't get it, you will undoubtedly lose; that you would put the ball in Maroney's hands? Even if the defense is in a nickle package for all four downs? I know I am going to give the ball to Brady, I trust the O-line and the recievers to get the job done. I would not trust Maroney to get the yards.

I read his post. I merely asked him to put his money where his mouth is, that is make a statement that he believes Maroney can rush for 100 yards vs the worst run defenses in the NFL. Believe me I will be the first to applaud from the rooftops if Maroney can achieve this feat. In fact I respect you as the first of the Maroney supporters to make the commitment and outright say you believe that Maroney can do this.

First off did you read Mo's post? He made some great points and you just ignored them and turn it around to some black and white "is maroney a great #1 who will rush for 100+ or not" question?

Second, don't come back to me if Maroney has 10 attempts and therefore doesn't get 100 yards. If he has 25 attempts and averages under 4 YPC or something like that, then you can "shove it in my face".

In other words, you're not all that confident that Maroney can manage even 100 yards vs the #30 and #32 rushing defenses in the NFL, correct? That's alright, you're not willing to put your name on the list. Your choice entirely.

No offense, but there is a reason I never participate in the predict the score contest - winning bets and guessing right isn't what being a Pat's fan or a football fan is all about for me. I admire this team as a whole, and strive to understand and appreciate what it is that they do and why they do it that makes them so consistently good. Not that I have narry a quibble with their decisions from time to time, because nobody's perfect, but I don't delude myself into thinking that as I sit here a my computer I know more about winning football championships than they do.

I'm just not into chest thumping about how smart I think my opinions, however informed or kneejerk, make me as a fan... 'cause I fully grasp it's not about me - it's what they think or do that matters.

Last edited:

You can't ask for a better matchup than the #30 and #32 ranked rushing defenses in the league. You show a disturbing lack of faith for someone who has been so vehement in your defense of Maroney. So do you have the balls to bet that Maroney will justify your faith, or deep down, do you also harbor doubts? It's all very simple. Can he rush for 100 against the weakest run D's in the league, or can't he?

Ok, thanks for answering the question as to whether or not you're posting from simple ignorance. You're not. You're being an ass.

I read his post. I merely asked him to put his money where his mouth is, that is make a statement that he believes Maroney can rush for 100 yards vs the worst run defenses in the NFL. Believe me I will be the first to applaud from the rooftops if Maroney can achieve this feat. In fact I respect you as the first of the Maroney supporters to make the commitment and outright say you believe that Maroney can do this.

In other words, you're not all that confident that Maroney can manage even 100 yards vs the #30 and #32 rushing defenses in the NFL, correct? That's alright, you're not willing to put your name on the list. Your choice entirely.

No, I'm just not into playing mindless games as if they are some sort of litmus test. What Maroney can or cannot do is predicated on the game plan. I have no kdea whether Bill intends to test the JETS rush defense or have Brady shatter the single season passing record at Ratgini's expense. And neither do you. It has nothing to do with MY level of confidence in Maroney. I think the kid has explosive talent which we saw flashes of last season, and BB wanted to inject that kind of talent into the RB position as opposed to maintaining a purely power running game. Just couldn't get the Oline configured to block for two divergent backs in 2006 by his own admission, and this season with Maroney rehabbing an injury and all those WR weapons and Brady at his disposal he again opted to plan away from Maroney's individual skillset and play to the overall teams strengths.

And it's worked, so go figure.

No, I'm just not into playing mindless games as if they are some sort of litmus test. What Maroney can or cannot do is predicated on the game plan. I have no kdea whether Bill intends to test the JETS rush defense or have Brady shatter the single season passing record at Ratgini's expense. And neither do you. It has nothing to do with MY level of confidence in Maroney. I think the kid has explosive talent which we saw flashes of last season, and BB wanted to inject that kind of talent into the RB position as opposed to maintaining a purely power running game. Just couldn't get the Oline configured to block for two divergent backs in 2006 by his own admission, and this season with Maroney rehabbing an injury and all those WR weapons and Brady at his disposal he again opted to plan away from Maroney's individual skillset and play to the overall teams strengths.

And it's worked, so go figure.

The problem is that we haven't seen those flashes from Maroney since the first half of last season.

Can and Will are different. Of course he CAN he has rushed for 100+ in the past. Will he? That depends on a whole lot of things that Maroney has no control over, like the defensive alignments and oh i dunno the fact we have the best passing offense EVER...

Seriously stop.

QUESTION
It is 4th and 1 with the game on the line. How would you try to get the first down?

1) Are you Kidding? Pass!
2) Maroney.
3) Faulk.
4) Evans

The problem is that we haven't seen those flashes from Maroney since the first half of last season.

We've got bingo!
And so far the majority of Maroney supporters have been unwilling to affirm that they believe Maroney can rush for 100 yards against the worst run D's in the NFL, #30 and #32 respectively.
It's hard to take seriously such people who are willing to place so LITTLE faith in Maroney to accomplish a very straightforward task.

Maroney vs 2 of the worst run Ds in the NFL, who wins? The paucity of individuals on the list willing to back Maroney on this, speaks VOLUMES.

QUESTION
It is 4th and 1 with the game on the line. How would you try to get the first down?

1) Are you Kidding? Pass!
2) Maroney.
3) Faulk.
4) Evans

This year? I would certainly pick option 1. If it were 2006 I would have the option to pick Dillon.

Last edited:

I started a thread yesterday about stretch plays.

I would like to direct any discussion on that to that thread, here

But my point is, I'm not sure why folks are so quick to blame Maroney...all of his runs are between the tackles, and there aren't being huge holes created for him by the OL. So any discussion on the perceived lack of production from the RB spot has to include room for some blame for the OL and or design of the plays.

We've got bingo!
And so far the majority of Maroney supporters have been unwilling to affirm that they believe Maroney can rush for 100 yards against the worst run D's in the NFL, #30 and #32 respectively.
It's hard to take seriously such people who are willing to place so LITTLE faith in Maroney to accomplish a very straightforward task.

Maroney vs 2 of the worst run Ds in the NFL, who wins? The paucity of individuals on the list willing to back Maroney on this, speaks VOLUMES.

Now you're flat-out lying.

Your argument is that he CAN'T. I argue that he CAN. My argument can be proven if he DOES. My argument will not be disproven and your argument cannot be proven, period.

You can factually prove CAN by doing, you cannot really factually disprove CAN by not doing.

To paraphrase the rabble rouser himself - people who thinks that National Sports Advisor writes a thread worth reading "are nuts."

BTW, there can't possibly be all the things wrong with Maroney that NSA suggests - if so, LoMo wouldn't made the team in Jr. High.

Anyone see Maroney get ripped for his poor blocking and or rushing in the steelers game , and all year for that matter in the herald? The only reason the rb's got a b- grade for this week was Faulk's great blocking. Apparently Beli had seen enough early in the steel game.

Interesting most the big running plays the steelers had where on Seymours watch. Sey has not been himeself since he came back.

Maroney has been terrible this year.

Last edited:

Your argument is that he CAN'T. I argue that he CAN. My argument can be proven if he DOES. My argument will not be disproven and your argument cannot be proven, period.

You can factually prove CAN by doing, you cannot really factually disprove CAN by not doing.

Then add an addendum that it is contigent upon at least 18 carries.

The assertion has been the plan has nto been to run the ball because the run defenses were great. These run defenses are bad, so at least a few runs should be called for Maroney. If the team goes up big and Maroney comes out, then at least he should be getting 4-5 yards per carry. Perhaps even getting a long run.

But if the plan still is not run Maroney, in the first half now, then the arguments of CAN do, start to wear thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes