PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Leon Washington released; CB Justin Green promoted from PS to active roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silly to release Washington at this point, after he has taken up a spot on the roster all season for nothing. What puzzles me about Leon is why did they resign him the day before Week 1 game vs Buffalo on a guaranteed contract when they knew he wasn't available to play? If they had waited a day after the game the contract would have not been guaranteed or were they afraid another team was going to scoop him up at that time?

We still don't have a kick returner (here's hoping Boyce can succeed there) and that becomes more important here down the stretch as kickers get less touchbacks in the cooler weather. To me Washington was signed for one thing only - a KR guy, one of the best in history, and it's a shame he couldn't stay healthy.

As far as Justin Green is concerned my reaction is :eek::eek:, but he is better to have out on the field over some other players (Tavon). He appeared to be very raw in preseason but he reminds me of Kyle Arrington when he came over from TB. That is, he had some tight coverage and looked the part of a corner for one play, and the next be beaten like a rented mule. The one thing that both of these players seem to have (and what Belichick must like) is their competitiveness. Lets hope JG has been steadily improving in practice and can be serviceable should we need him on Sunday.

I don't remember a free agent off-season that failed so miserably as the 2013 version:

--Adrian Wilson

--Tommy Kelly

--Leon Washington

--Will Svitek

--Tyrone Green

--Lavelle Hawkins

--Michael Jenkins

--Donald Jones

--Tim Tebow

--Danny Amendola

Have you ever seen anything like this? I don't remember it myself. This off-season was beyond unfortunate.

That + Hernandez + 2005 level of injuries = 11-5/12-4 season. Unbelievable.

Not to mention the fact of losing all of Welker, Llyod, Woodhead, and Donald Thomas to free agency also.

Washington gone?

But also add in this team could be going into the postseason with a gelled offense, and hoping for a healthy stretch. This team can still go very far at this point.

But also add in this team could be going into the postseason with a gelled offense, and hoping for a healthy stretch. This team can still go very far at this point.

I know that some will disagree with me, but I still firmly believe that we'll need a bit of luck in terms of securing the #2 seed to make a good run. As we know, championship teams not only rely on talent and execution, but getting a good bounce here and there is practically a staple of just about all 47 SB winners. To this point, we've gotten the opposite of a "good bounce" for our 2013 version.

That doesn't mean that I don't think that we can compete in the postseason without having a week off + having to win one game to go to the AFFCG, just that our odds would increase dramatically if we're able to lock down the #2 seed.

Justin Green promoted to the active roster.... :eek:

Just remembering from training camp, he was the worst CB I've ever seen in person. :D

Agreed, I thought Stephon Morris was better. If Green is active, let's hope it's just for special teams.

What the heck was wrong with Washington? Was he injured all season or did he suck so bad at practice that BB didn't let him play?

Gronk for the first half of the season, Armstead who I have no idea what the heck is going on, and Washington. Just been an odd season all around for some players with injuries.

Well we're OK as long as we don't lose Bequette!

I don't remember a free agent off-season that failed so miserably as the 2013 version:

--Adrian Wilson

--Tommy Kelly

--Leon Washington

--Will Svitek

--Tyrone Green

--Lavelle Hawkins

--Michael Jenkins

--Donald Jones

--Tim Tebow

--Danny Amendola

Have you ever seen anything like this? I don't remember it myself. This off-season was beyond unfortunate.

The money wasted on most of these JAGS could have gone towards some better higher profile free agents. What a whiff :mad:

if boyce is now the KR and vereen is back there is n need for a vet that may have never played a down for the pats this season

--Adrian Wilson

--Tommy Kelly

--Leon Washington

--Will Svitek

--Tyrone Green

--Lavelle Hawkins

--Michael Jenkins

--Donald Jones

--Tim Tebow

--Danny Amendola

Don't get me started, please. With Ian's new rules, I'd end up getting banned for negative posting. It's probably only a matter of time as it is. ;)

Washington gone?

I know that some will disagree with me, but I still firmly believe that we'll need a bit of luck in terms of securing the #2 seed to make a good run. As we know, championship teams not only rely on talent and execution, but getting a good bounce here and there is practically a staple of just about all 47 SB winners. To this point, we've gotten the opposite of a "good bounce" for our 2013 version.

That doesn't mean that I don't think that we can compete in the postseason without having a week off + having to win one game to go to the AFFCG, just that our odds would increase dramatically if we're able to lock down the #2 seed.

We will see. Maybe we will start getting some good bounces soon. With the playoffs the last 3 years, it doesn't seem like the bye is as huge as it used to be.

We will see. Maybe we will start getting some good bounces soon. With the playoffs the last 3 years, it doesn't seem like the bye is as huge as it used to be.

Pats suck on the road and have major injuries on D. This team isn't built to win on the road come jan. The bye is so huge to this team. No bye..no SB run

--Adrian Wilson

--Tommy Kelly

--Leon Washington

--Will Svitek

--Tyrone Green

--Lavelle Hawkins

--Michael Jenkins

--Donald Jones

--Tim Tebow

--Danny Amendola

Kelly was very good until he tore his ACL, and Amendola's been okay. Wilson and Washington were the only actual misses on that list, the rest were just low-risk flyers who were outperformed in TC. No shame in that.

The biggest problem, IMO, is what they didn't sign: interior offensive line talent.

Kelly was very good until he tore his ACL, and Amendola's been okay. Wilson and Washington were the only actual misses on that list, the rest were just low-risk flyers who were outperformed in TC. No shame in that.

agreed, every team cuts 37 players every off season

C'mon. Other than Kelly, it's been a pile of suck or season-long injury.

Did we do really do badly on re-signs?

Belichick re-signed Vollmer, Talib, Arrington, Edelman and Cole

I don't that Belichick lost anyone that he really expected to keep..

Belichick had ready replacements for Woodhead and Welker in Vereen and Amendola.
Belichick also had replacements for Lloyd until Thompkins them out and Edelman stepped up.

Not to mention the fact of losing all of Welker, Llyod, Woodhead, and Donald Thomas to free agency also.

Washington gone?

Pats suck on the road and have major injuries on D. This team isn't built to win on the road come jan. The bye is so huge to this team. No bye..no SB run

I know that, but if the the recent SB winning teams indicate anything, the bye week isn't essential for a Super Bowl run like it used to be. It isn't as important as it used to be, it is somewhat important, but getting hot at the right time is. The funny thing is, the last 3 super bowl teams has injury issues. I am just saying, the bye week isn't as big of a deal as it previously was.

I agree that we have no gotten much production from free agents other than Kelly and Thompkins. Surely these were fine signings.

However, the primary reason for that has been injuries. Perhaps Belichick should be better at anticipating injuries.

Is it really bad to sign several free agents at WR, only to have others beat them out in camp?
========

The obvious failures are Wilson and Amendola. We'll likely never know whether Wilson would have been the addition Belichick expected. IMHO, Amendola is a disappointment, even when healthy, compared to what we hoped for.

--Adrian Wilson

--Tommy Kelly

--Leon Washington

--Will Svitek

--Tyrone Green

--Lavelle Hawkins

--Michael Jenkins

--Donald Jones

--Tim Tebow

--Danny Amendola

Agreed.

The solution is to not sign players who will be injured.

C'mon. Other than Kelly, it's been a pile of suck or season-long injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes