PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lawyer Milloy cut!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DaBruinz said:
I think that Sanders and Scott are young players who will get better and can only do so if given the chance. They won't get that chance with Milloy around.

Why not? Are you suggesting that BB plays inferior players over superior ones?

Belichick's MO is to play the best man for the job. If a youngster like Sanders or Scott are deemed better they'll play. If they aren't better, they'll sit. End of story!

ClosingTime said:
Yeah, and that situation happens with every team, every year. It's only the Pats that deemed it okay to cut a veteran starter two weeks before the season started. Is it within their right? Sure. Is it disrepectful to a player who has played well for you? Absolutely. Does it preclude Milloy from wanting to come back to the Pats? Yes. Does it make other NE players less willing to take a 'hometown discount'? Absolutely.
Try seeing the forest throught the trees.

Again, you are clueless on the situation and ignore facts. But that seems to be your modus operendi.

BTW, if what you said was true then Tedy Bruschi wouldn't have renegotiated his own contract and taken only 2 million. Tom Brady wouldn't have settled for a $60 million contract. Matt Light wouldn't have settled on his deal.

The FACT remains that the only reason the Patriots were over the salary cap were injuries. You know, those unforseen things that happen. It put them 2 million over the cap. And Milloy was the only veteran (other than Law) who the Pats hadn't renegotiated a contract with.

Sorry, but its much more likely for players to NOT take a renegotiated contract if they get cut after renegotiating than it is for them not to renegotiate because they could get cut. That is the point behind the renegotiation. So they don't have to get cut.

Bobs My Uncle said:
I think some people are allowing their personal biases towards Milloy to interfere with their objectivity in judging him as a football player.

Is Milloy a pro bowl SS? Not a chance but anyone who thinks a converted CB named Hawkins or Gus Scott, a career backup named Stone, and/or unknowns named Sanders and Scott are better than Milloy isn't being rational.

*LOL* OK. That's your opinion. But its the irrational one.

Bobs My Uncle said:
The question is "is Milloy more useful than duds named Hawkins, Scotts squared, Stone and Sanders?".

I doubt anyone with an ounce of objectivity in their body believes that Milloy is worse than what we trotted out onto the field at SS after Harrison went down last season.

BTW, I live in Bills territory and watched them play far too many times last year. Milloy's play was the least of that teams worries.

Hawkins is faster and played well in the Pats system for his 1st year. Stone is a special teamer and no one said that he was better than Milloy. As for Guss Scott and James Sanders, obviously BB likes what he saw in last years TC otherwise he'd have cut them. But don't let the facts get in your way.

Bobs My Uncle said:
The point you raise about Milloy's familiarity in the system is certainly reason enough to have him start over duds like Hawkins or Scott or whomever else we now have backing up Harrison.

I mean it's not like we are asking Milloy to replace even a decent starter out of this pathetic grouping.

As I said I saw many Bills games and, more importantly to this discussion, have listened to analysis galore on the merits of Milloy as a player for the Bills.

Milloy's play last year wasn't pro bowl calibre but it was far better than average, despite having to cover up Troy Vincent's struggles opposite him. Milloy still struggles in pass coverage mode - and thus was expendable because he is a horrible fit for the Bills proposed cover 2 scheme - but he's not much worse in this department than Harrison is, and it isn't an issue when Harrison is out there for us.

At any rate, give me a still productive vet who is well versed in the Pats complicated secondary anyday over what we now have as options.

Harrison's coverage skills are extremely under-rated. And, I'm sorry, but you are drastically over-rating Milloy's coverage skills.

DaBruinz said:
Harrison's coverage skills are extremely under-rated. And, I'm sorry, but you are drastically over-rating Milloy's coverage skills.
Drastically overrating them?

I said Milloy struggles in coverage for crying out loud. Still, Milloy's a far better option at SS for us than the duds we now have. Even if he can't cover a lick.

The whole point in arguing whether or not Milloy can still play or not is irrelevant.

Belichik and Pioli thought he lost a step 2 years ago and that he is a locker room cancer. This is well documented in Patriot Reign and The Education of a Coach. Belichick would not bring Milloy back here for any reason.

Is Milloy the player he once was ? NO
Is he better than some of the DB's on the Patriots Roster ? Probably.

But it doesn't matter, he ain't coming back here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News